Discovery 2 Overflow tank coolant tube brittle as egg shell? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Discovery 2 Overflow tank coolant tube brittle as egg shell?

I would like to know if anyone here has any experiences with replacing and/or upgrading the overflow tank coolant PLASTIC tubing on 2002 or similar years of Discovery. While I was replacing the alternator belt yesterday, I came to learn very quickly that there are at least two coolant Plastic tubings on my 2002 Discovery are very brittle and prone to crack easily as egg shells. I cracked the tube that ran from the radiator to the overflow tank as I merely touched the tubing while I was replacing the belt. These two plastic tubings became brittle over time due to heat under the engine bay and are very prone to be broken. When they crack or break, the coolant will be lost and the engine will overheat. You don't want to be in that situation especially when you are on the road or trip.
I spent a large part of my Sunday morning having fabricated one of the two tubings out of copper tubings. Will have to make the other tubing on another Sunday. I enlosed a couple of pictures for your viewing. So far, the installed fabricated copper tubing looks pretty sharp under the dark color engine bay. Please feel free to comment and contribute your ideas.
Harry
greenrovey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

All of the plastic on the rover seems to do this... Last week i not only broke the tube, but the little inlet into the radiator where your copper hose is going. It just shattered into a million pieces from a slight bump as i was replacing my air filter. I had to completely replace the radiator and that hose. This is an interesting idea though it seems like it would work MUCH better than these brittle hoses.
Burncycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know of a radiator shop in Los Angeles which could have replaced your radiator plastic tank from which the tube was broken. They have the special tool to crimp and uncrimp the tank from the alloy radiator core. I am curious as to how much you had to pay for a new Disco radiator.

By the way, why did Landrover use plastic tubings instead of soft metal tubings. I got the idea from working on my 1962 MGA which utilizes copper tubings for its coolant heater tubings. After 45 plus years, the copper tubings on the MGA are still intact and they only turned black with age and oxidation. I buffed them out shiny and they now look better than new on my MGA. I guess British cars are not built the same way they once were.
Harry
Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I didn't think about it at the time or I would have. I just needed to have my truck drivable as quick as possible and we have no radiator shops (that i would trust) where I live. I bought a Silla radiator offthe internet for $230 and after buying coolant and clamps it cost me about $260 and it is actually working very well. My temps stay below 200 almost all the time and rarely tops out at 206 in midday traffic or off roading with the a/c blasting.
Burncycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like what u did with the Coper pipe. Mine shattered into pices when I was checking on the battery. I replaced it with a rubber hose althoe an LR garage told me that it was not a good idea. it has worked for me for now.
Looks great!
Dave

2005 LR3/Disco3 SE 4.4 The Rhino
1999 LR Disco II SD 200,900 miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Turtle'
1988 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Rust Bucket'
SafariDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

The approximate OD of the original plastic coolant tubing is 0.320 inch which is unavailable at my local hardware store. The closest OD copper tubing available is 3/8 tubing into which the existing radiator rubber hose will fit a little tight. You will need a tube bender to have all the correct bends. I got lucky to get all the bends really close to the original plastic tubing. Will also need a little trimming in the tubing groove or tubing retainer above the radiator. I now feel more confident not breaking up any more coolant tubings nor losing any more coolant while i am working under the hood around these coolant tubings or when I am driving my Disco. I still need to fabricate one more copper tubing going from the side of the overflow tank to engine. The plastic tubing or hose actually broke off and sprung a leak when I was driving with my 9-year old daughter to her soccer practice.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

Gallery: 12

I just replaced the resevoir tank (broken hose nipple on the bottom ) with one off of ebay. In the process, the plastic tube that runs from there over to the throttle body snapped and I had a nice little mess. It was during business hours so I was able to plunk down 18 bucks at the dealer for a factory replacement hose. Your thread has more forewarned to expect the same issue from the hose that goes over to the radiator. I am wondering if that is a part I should just pick up and have ready to go...

spiderfreak80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Harry,
Looks like a good job, do your self a favor and support the connection to the radiator, cause it won't take much bouncing around to shear off the nipple.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
Harry,
Looks like a good job, do your self a favor and support the connection to the radiator, cause it won't take much bouncing around to shear off the nipple.
This is exactly what happened to me a week ago. A small pot hole in a drive-thru did this.

Current Mods: 2" RTE, 275/70/18's, HD Bumper, SafariGard Diff Guards, Detriot, Hellas
Howski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reds'Rover

I was able to replace the same hose with a small (3/8's I think) fuel line return hose. Just spun off a few too many feet from the Auto store and clamped the thing on with hose clamps. Broke it changing the air filter and replaced it and was out of the parking lot in under ten minutes.
kevin pierson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rover plastic cooling system pipes what a risky idea.

2005 LR3/Disco3 SE 4.4 The Rhino
1999 LR Disco II SD 200,900 miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Turtle'
1988 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Rust Bucket'
SafariDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrovey View Post
I know of a radiator shop in Los Angeles which could have replaced your radiator plastic tank from which the tube was broken. They have the special tool to crimp and uncrimp the tank from the alloy radiator core. I am curious as to how much you had to pay for a new Disco radiator.
Hi Greenrovey, could you give me the name of that radiator shop in LA? I'm in the LA area and might need to have some radiator/cooling work done.
2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod, BajaRack low-profile roof rack

2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel
yubert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

pm sent
Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Old thread, but I had to post because just today I broke the plastic tube going from the expansion tank to the TB heater plate, and the bottom nipple on the expansion tank! Ugh! After the tube broke I thought I'd take it out and epoxy it to test out my TB heater gasket fix...5 minutes later I'm on the phone with A-B ordering a new tube and an expansion tank in addition to the breather kit I needed....I wish I had seen this and just bought some cheap tubing...goddamn
discobrian178 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
It was NEW when I was a Senior in High School

Talking

I have been dealing with this problem since I bought my DII 2 weeks ago. I have been searching the Internet for a replacement tube. I didnt know if it would be ok to use copper tubing b/c its so plyable and the coolant is so hot.....
I am going to use this idea though b/c yesterday I sprung a leak in the parking lot at work. I used cheep plastic tube as a replacement.

THANKS!!

Why the hell did the engineers use the brittle plastic tubing????
mac131124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.