DIY Projects - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default DIY Projects

Here are some of the DIY projects I have been working on lately. I made a roof rack and added Quick Fists to the rack to house a recovery shovel and axe. I also took my cracked plastic bumper and modified it to utilitze it more for off road and to clean up the spyder cracks in it. The roof rack needs some special tools like a welder, patience, and a lot of measuring. The bumper is actually really simple and only took about 2 hours. All you need is a basic ratchet set or wrenches and an angle grinder. It increased the approach angle and it is better than that composite plastic that cracks under the smallest pressure. The bumper does not look the cleanest but if you are short on money or do not have the tools to make one yourself this is a good start. The bumper leaves you a lot of options to add to it by engineering a skid plate to run from the bumper to the skid bar. You can clean it up by adding your own touch to it but this what it will look like with just take the plastic out of the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Projects-diy-roof-rack.jpg   DIY Projects-diy-bumper.jpg   DIY Projects-diy-bumper1.jpg  
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SE7
SLYrover

Last edited by SLYrover; 09-18-2012 at 02:00 PM.
SLYrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but your DIY projects look like crap. Thankfully you can just take that rack off and throw it in the trash, but you completely ruined the front end of a perfectly good LR.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well you are titled to your opinion and that is fine but the front end was NOT perfect because there were big holes of plastic missing from it. If it was perfect then I would have just trimmed the lower portion of the bumper and left it alone. And I dont see anything wrong with that roof rack. Looks like every other basket type rack that people spend $500 dollars on so it will not be thrown in the trash.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

SLYrover

Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
'03 Disco SE

I'm not gonna judge you one way or the other on the looks but I do think you should rethink the way you mounted your "roof rack" to the truck.

The roof rails you have u-bolted the rack to are in no way designed to carry any sort of weight. In fact they're pretty flimsy. If you load that rack with any real weight and then add the wind load from traveling at highway speed, the stresses on the racks will be tremendous and there is a very real chance that they could break or detach from the car, sending your rack along with it's axe and shovel through the windshield of the car behind you.

If you look at ANY off-the-shelf rack available for the D2, you'll see that they mount to the car via clamps attached to the gutter system that runs around the perimeter of the roof. This is MUCH stronger and is the only right way to do it without drilling and bracing the roof.

There is a very real reason why professional racks cost $500 and more. Its because they use top-notch parts and spend hundreds of hours engineering it to be strong and practical.

Please, for the sake of your self and those around, take that thing off the roof before the wind does it for you.
Bosnian Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yakima and Thule cross bars all attach to the factory railing using what they call a rail grab which is just a clamp to the rail. The factory railing has a weight capacity up to 100 lbs I believe and I am pretty sure their engineers know what they are doing. I know if I wanted to do some type of safari run and load the LR with 800lbs or something then no roof rack attached to the factory rails, professionally engineered or not, will with stand that weight. These racks are not designed for that weight. Each product is specifically designed for a purpose. That is why the racks that attach to the gutters are called expedition or safari racks.

SLYrover

Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
'03 Disco SE

Whatever you say, boss. If you don't really take well to criticism it's probably best to avoid posting photos of your shop class projects on an internet forum.

You should really think out your modifications a little better before you break out the angle grinder next time. You have a hacked bumper to "increase the approach angle" and a cattle grid with "recovery tools" on your roof while your Disco sits on stock suspension with street tires and no CDL. You certainly won't be doing any wheeling in that thing, so why ruin the bumper and attach that thing to your roof when you'll get ZERO utility out of them?

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the factory rails. When they fail they'll fail spectacularly.

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/disc...-roof-rail.jpg
Bosnian Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Discovery View Post
The roof rails you have u-bolted the rack to are in no way designed to carry any sort of weight.
I can take criticism fine when there is a valid point but you literally said that the rails are not designed to take any sort of weight. When in fact they are rated at 100 lbs. I appreciate you trying to inform me not to overweight the rack but don't get mad when I correct your wrong information.

And if you would have read a little closer to the posts, I said in each post that the bumper was already ruined due to the plastic cracking and chunks of plastic missing from the middle. It may seem like a hack job since you did not see the bumper previously.

Also I did not know it was required to have a lift and CDL to go off road??? Everyone is entitled to do their own levels of off roading and mine may just be mild to medium as of right now. My LR handles the trails I take it on just fine the way it is built. The LR is a very capable machine at a stock level for what you calling "wheeling".

To answer your question about the crossbars/roof rack I can list numerous reasons why people buy these racks. But I suggest you emailing Yakima or Thule and ask them how they built such big businesses if their racks have ZERO utility and why customers continue to buy their product...

SLYrover

Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYrover View Post
...The factory railing has a weight capacity up to 100 lbs I believe and I am pretty sure their engineers know what they are doing...
Don't bet on that 100lb rating being worth much at speed.

One of my friends worked at a bike shop where they sold both Yakima and Thule racks. He said at least once every couple years they'd have someone put 3 or 4 bikes up on a rack, zip down the highway, and hit a decent sized bird only to have the rack ripped off their roof along with the rails. The people that he spoke to who'd had this happen claimed $3k -$4k damage plus the bikes and whatever they hit when they flew off.

You might be able to a set of Yakima or Thule towers that mount to the gutter. Connecting the rack to that (and the corresponding cross bars) would probably at least make the rack safe to use for more than just the ax/shovel...

1999 LR DII - 108k miles, Locking CDL from a D1, SD Rack, 3rd Row added, 235 85r16 BFG AT KO's, TerraFirma 3" lift w/ TF +2 shocks, QT front diff guard, Southdowne rear diff guard, SS brake lines...more to come, so it's probably doomed to always be a work in progress...

Download the RAVE here, http://www.landroverresource.com/.

Need Parts?
Will Tillery, phone: 434-251-9331 or willtillery@roverguy.com
PT Schram, phone: 260-804-0458
Marty "Drillbit" Powell, phone: 270-576-7922 or 'iamthedrillbit' on eBay
Randy Williams, http://www.RoverBones.com
paulgrant@mac.com
www.lucky8llc.com
dcarr1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

To me it just looks like a good first try at a roof rack. There is always room for improvement.

03 DII, 2" lift, ARD Brush Guard with Warn W8000 Winch + 2 PIA lights, and Safari Rack with 4 PIA + 1 utility light. Tom Woods front drive shaft. Michelin XZL 4X4 O/R - 7.5 R16C 116/114N Tires. My disco web album, have a look here.

06 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed averaging 47mpg......wish the disco did half that

Daedrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarr1971 View Post
You might be able to a set of Yakima or Thule towers that mount to the gutter. Connecting the rack to that (and the corresponding cross bars) would probably at least make the rack safe to use for more than just the ax/shovel...
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I need to find very tall towers that will mount from the gutter that will clear the roof so I can attach the cross bars and maybe then relocate the rack to the rear for easier access to the rack.

Thanks for the feedback

SLYrover

Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedrix View Post
To me it just looks like a good first try at a roof rack. There is always room for improvement.
Thanks!

SLYrover

Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Blah blah, woof woof

I think the bumper came out looking ok - certainly better than a cracked bumper cover, and heck - from a distance, the majority of people wouldn't even know you did it - those lines look a lot straighter than I could have done.

If those square parts are the boxed ends of the frame rails or are bolted to the frame, you could mount a couple of shackle rings on there to make it look a little more custom.

And I'm with you - there are lots of different levels of off-roading, and a CDL and specific tires aren't necessary for them all!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=bootzilla;432189]heck - from a distance, the majority of people wouldn't even know you did it -
If those square parts are the boxed ends of the frame rails or are bolted to the frame, you could mount a couple of shackle rings on there to make it look a little more custom. QUOTE]

I have a couple of pics from farther out and you can hardly tell anything was done because of the black paint.

Those square boxes are from where the bumper is bolted to what looks like aluminum frame extenders that are bolted to the frame. Shackles right there would be a good idea. I was also trying to come up with an idea of how to mount a winch to the bumper or if this metal is even thick enough to handle that kind of weight?

SLYrover

Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

I like the work. the intention is good and the advice from the guys of the forum should give you the info you need to improve. The gutters are the better approach. Just figure what type of weight you like to load and build it to last a lifetime. The bumper looks great! not what I would have done but with no money is good. There is a thread in here that teaches how to make gutter brackets, if you can weld than a trip to home depot and you'll be able to put much more load on your Discovery. Keep up the good work!

PS the guys are hard on you because they care, off road safely!!
CDL electric Shifter
New power steering pump
Replaced head gaskets
255/60/18 Toyo ST2 with LR3 wheels
Brembo rotors + Akebono ceramic brake pads
New water pump and thermostat
Replaced every hose w/Land Rover Oem
New drag and tie rods
2'' lift
Converted ACE to regular sway bars
Converted Air bags to coil springs
Rock sliders
Off road 31inch tires on 16 inch LR wheels (Maxxis tires)
Bilstein medium duty Shocks
Smittybilt 8k winch
Hella 700ff brush guard lights
Custom steal rear bumper
CFP_IVAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Careful with bolting D-rings to those brackets and using them for recovery. They are the crush cans for the bumper. They are designed to crumple on impact, giving the airbags enough time to fully deploy before the full force of the impact makes it to the rest of the vehicle structure. They are not designed to be yanked on. I'd go with some welded tube to make a bull-bar with a skid plate to cover the opening. Something along the linbes of this: Westin Bull Bars - 305 Reviews on Westin Ulitmate Bull Bar - Best Price & Install Videos for Westin Bull Guards

As for the rack mounts, I have the Thule super high feet (953) for the rack on my truck, and they seem more than up to the task. Put some effort into searching for a good price. They are still more money than they should be, but if you already have the bars it works out. Otherwise, make your own.

Anyway, I see no point in insulting other people's efforts. If the modifications you did work for you, fantastic. Good for you for taking on the projects with what you had on hand and getting them done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.