Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Driver's Window not working

20K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bronson 
#1 ·
Hey fellow Rovies. First time post. I have a problem with my drivers window. It isn't going up or down. The driver's motor is good. The window switch is good. Any suggestion on what it could be? checked all the fuses also. Please help, when the wife drives it she likes to let down the window, I could care less, but happy wife , happy life. :grin

#2 ·
How do you know the motor is good? Can you hear it running?
How do you know the switch is good?
Have you pulled the interior panel off and inspected the regulator etc.?

#4 ·
Two thoughts:
1. I remember having a window motor that worked in my hand but was not functional enough to move the weight of the window ehen installed.

2. The driver's window will not move w the driver's door open (as you are likely already aware) - this is by design - just thought I remind you.

#5 ·
2. The driver's window will not move w the driver's door open (as you are likely already aware) - this is by design - just thought I remind you.
I agree possible weak motor not able to move the mechanism.

Mine works with the door open, closed all the same

I am not aware of the window being locked out when the door is open

#7 ·
Likely a break in a wire in the loom between the door post and the door's face where the loom enters. We have a bunch of F250's and it happens on the passenger doors all the time. From the flexing when opening and closing. Wires look good on the outside but the strands are broken inside the insulation.

#8 ·
Sorry for necroing this thread but I just ran into a weak motor on my '99 Disco II.

Symptom: Passenger side window runs fine but doesn't reliably close the window. The regulator appears fine and the motor feels strong when you twist it by hand.

The big round worm gear head on the motor assembly consists mostly of a big rubber isolator. Around the outside of the isolator is a ring gear that gets driven by the motor's worm gear, and the center of the isolator is fused to the metal gear that drives the window regulator. In my case, the rubber isolator had come loose from the metal gear's hub, letting them slip. They still had enough friction between them that there was nothing obviously wrong with the motor.

Fix: need to replace the motor. Or just the motor's gear head if you can find someone selling it separately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.