Engine does not crank
Helping a friend with a starting problem on his 2000 D11 4.0 Litre.
Drove to the mall and returned a few hours later and when he tried to start the following happened.
1. Doors opened with the remote
2. Key in ignition and turned... All warning lights and chimes came on
3. Transmission in "P"
4. Tried to start and...
5. All dash lights went out and loud clicking noise from starter motor area and sparks seen at starter motor relay in fuse box
1. Battery is fully charged.
2. Engine can be turned over with a socket and ratchet on front crankshaft pulley
3. Starter motor removed and checked... All OK
4. All cables are good and not shorting to ground
5. Cut-out switch (push button style on firewall) did not trip
Any help in fixing this is appreciated as nearest dealership is 4 hours away.