Fix your leaking rear door for $4 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

Gallery: 12
Default Fix your leaking rear door for $4

If your Disco is older, or if you have added a ladder, or maybe your spare is bigger and heavier.....your rear door probably leaks in car washes and downpours. Simply go to O'Reilly's or whatever, and pick up a roll of self adheisive weather stripping. You can see in the pics where I applied it. Take a clean rag with alcohol on it and clean off where you are going to apply it. Take a heat gun or hair dryer and warm the area up. Also warm up the sticky side of the weatherstripping. Apply as shown. I went through one of those touchless car washes yesterday...the ones with the .50 cal water jets hitting your rig...not a single drop inside. You will notice that I didn't get too thick of weather stripping. The door closes great. It actually seems to latch a little smoother now.
Attached Thumbnails
Fix your leaking rear door for -img_1257small.jpg   Fix your leaking rear door for -img_1260small.jpg  

Last edited by spiderfreak80; 03-07-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: reattach thumbnails
spiderfreak80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
got zebra?

Gallery: 0

def a good fix...

'88 RRC Scottsdale | Cooper Discoverer STT | OME 2" | Hella Rallye 4000 - GONE!

'95 DI | NATOs | Cooper Discoverer S/T | OME | NRP | PIAA | MoFab | Lucky8 | RTE

scottsdalerrc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looking for pics or where you fitted weather strip!
davidtgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 04:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome. First time I ran her through the car wash I noticed water in the rear. Great easy fix.
Thanks!
DIINoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool. Glad it has worked for everyone so far. I think I am going to stick with these kinds of fixes for a while and stay away from the tough stuff. I just spent 11 hours to replace an axle seal on my son's Chevy blazer....

Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is a great idea... I had an Infiniti car that leaked through the tail lights into the trunk.... clear silicone caulking is how I solved that little issue. 5$ vs. $350 wins every time...

I have installed some weather stripping on both the door and the body; we shall see how it works the next time we get a southern thunderstorm.
Roman_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

if only the windshield leaks were so easy to fix.......
Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well We had a nice little thunderstorm and I got only a few drops in this time...I'll have to go thicker on the insulation next time.
Roman_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Engineer View Post
Well We had a nice little thunderstorm and I got only a few drops in this time...I'll have to go thicker on the insulation next time.
I'm sure it will be a little different for everyone depending on how much sag there is. Mine was pretty thick that I used and the two pieces match up perfectly. It has made it through the high pressure car wash test...

I am thinking about doing some more weatherstriping on all the doors as well to see if I can cut down on some of the road noise.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Leaking Trunk!

I'm so glad I found this forum! I was driving in my 2003 Land Rover Discovery II in pouring down rain when all of a sudden my daughter says "Hey mom water's dripping in the trunk!" My truck had already started to smell a little like wet doggy fur (lol) and I thought it was from the detail job at the car wash last week...I think the weather stripping idea will work out perfect! ...and just in time since we're expecting tons of rain yet still to come!
3rennie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Thanks!!

I'm also getting water coming in by the ladder and thought the rear seal would have to be replaced ... this is much better. Thanks again!!
GreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
99 D2

Took my 99 D2 out today in a heavy shower. Noticed water getting in the rear door. This looks like a good fix. Is it possible to bend the door so it closes better?
Mike.
mikefitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

When you look at the door, when closed, does it look as if it is out of adjustment, is it pulled in tight enough.
That door won't bend much, you can adjust the latch to pull it in further or adjust the door hinges if it door doesn't line up with the body, or build up or replace the seals.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

While I think that this is a good "quick fix". I feel that it is best to actually correct the issue not put a band aid on. You can, in most cases, adjust the rear door hinges and or the rear door latch so that your door is seated the way it needs to be as opposed to putting in the additional foam. I too had a leaker. After re-aligning the door from the hinges I am dry as a bone. i no longer have the ladder but I do run a steel wheel with the 265-75-16 tire which is heavier than the factory.
jhdylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderfreak80 View Post
If your Disco is older, or if you have added a ladder, or maybe your spare is bigger and heavier.....your rear door probably leaks in car washes and downpours. Simply go to O'Reilly's or whatever, and pick up a roll of self adheisive weather stripping. You can see in the pics where I applied it. Take a clean rag with alcohol on it and clean off where you are going to apply it. Take a heat gun or hair dryer and warm the area up. Also warm up the sticky side of the weatherstripping. Apply as shown. I went through one of those touchless car washes yesterday...the ones with the .50 cal water jets hitting your rig...not a single drop inside. You will notice that I didn't get too thick of weather stripping. The door closes great. It actually seems to latch a little smoother now.

Thank you good sir...fixed mine yesterday while i was waiting for 2 hours at the DMV.

Damn thing would only leak when i went to a car wash...not during rain. Should be good to go now. Easy fix...never even thought of doing that...
NYChaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.