Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Front crank shaft pully

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  CT090 
#1 ·
It appears I have a bit of an oil leak from the back side of the front crank pully.

Is there a replaceable seal there and how difficult of a job is this?

#2 ·
Hi
Front crankshaft seal .
When you get the harmonic balancer / crankshaft pulley off check for a groove in the outer sealing surface (they sometimes wear where the seal contacts it. There are repair sleeves available I believe if it is grooved.
Also check for any signs of cracking at the keyway (had one cracked badly on my last d2.
Seal replacement is straightforward, pop it out and press the new one in.
Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Local parts guys should be able to help you out if you need one.
Might call it a repair sleeve, or a "speedy sleeve"

#5 ·
With the sleeves, you'll typically find them at auto parts stores cataloged by vehicle application. They tend to be expensive that way. I buy mine at a local bearing supply house and find that they're significantly less expensive. But you have to do your own homework on finding the size you need. If you take the balancer with you and are nice to them, they will probably mic it for you.

I've never looked, but I'd guess on an oddball application now gone 13 years, it's probably not in anyone's book.

#9 ·
sobieski, this is a straight forward repair as redtruck and CT have stated. You have to look at the pulley shaft to see if the groove is there, if by some chance it's not cut, polishing it and replacing the seal should suffice, if the pulley is grooved, get the sleeve either from a machine shop or a supplier as stated in other posts. Either way, removing the belts and the pulley is straight forward.

Doug

#10 ·
Thanks Doug.
I am pretty sure i'll need the sleeve, so i'd like to have in-hand before even starting.

But, as usual, most folks (machine shop, suppliers etc.) need me to be very very specific on stuff for this truck - like exact size of the sleeve or exact part # - and i'm having trouble finding the sleeve at my local parts store.

Any suggestions there would be great.

#11 ·
SKF has them but the size varies, you have to"mic" the barrel to order the correct size repair sleeve. Can't do that without removing the pulley.

Option 2: used pulley in good shape, e-bay or used parts re-sellers; check the condition before buying from reputable seller.

Option 3: Roverlandparts.com - We know Land Rover Parts $125-$250 don't know about availability

Option 4: not for the faint of heart new part, likely overpriced @ $500-650.00

Option 5: take it off, go to a reputable machine shop, drop it off, pick it up when it's finished $50-125 most places.

Doug

#13 ·
Are you working only with hand tools or do you have access to air tools?
Should be an easy brrrap with a 1/2 inch gun if you have it
Or an alternative method using a breaker bar (smack it wit a mallet)
The 3rd is not for the inexperienced or faint of heart ( breaker bar jammed up against the frame and cranking the engine over) kind of a last resort and sort of dangerous

Reactions: Doug Myers
#15 ·
Hand tools only.
I think I'm ok with bliping the engine, but will certainly try the mallet first.

Just to confirm, that pulley bolt is clockwise-tight, counterclockwise-loose (when facing the truck, looking toward the rear) just lke the viscous fan - correct?

#16 ·
Yes standard right hand thread

#18 ·
That's for the transmission.

I looked last night and I don't have a stray balancer sitting around. There's a core buried in the back of my shop storage and I can pull the balancer and mic it, but not until Saturday- if you can wait.

If you have an old ratchet and a 3 lb hammer, you can probably pop the bolt loose. but then you have the problem of pulling torque on it when you tighten it.

Another trick: You can pull a plug and fish a foot or so of cotton clothes line through the spark plug hole. This will compress between the head and the piston, effectively blocking the engine from rotating on the compression stroke. Don't put too much in there as you want both valves to be closed as it is conceivable you could bend one if it were off the seat. Confirm the engine is on the compression stroke by pulling the plug and rotating until it's pushing your finger from the empty plug hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.