Fuel Consumption - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
OSIYEZA

Gallery: 9
Default Fuel Consumption

Hi,
Had a phone call from a friend...bought a 2001 TD5 manual...he's in tears...was told he would get 9km per liter in town..well...now this seems to be a pipe dream....fuel consumption more like 6km per liter!! I drive a 2005 TD5 Disco II and 9km per liter seems to be the baseline in town. A diesel - 6km per liter ...no way..

The question would then be what could be the cause.Could it be the uni-chip that has moved to nirvana (are they not fuel savers?) ? Any ideas?
IMOGEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Gallery: 31

Chipping defiantely increases fuel consumption, some of the gus here have chips in their TD5 Defenders with varying results depending on what chips are used etc.

BTW where are you in SA I will be there in September on business in Cape Town and Jo'burg
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gallery: 0

Those TD5 really get good mileage, for those figures reflect the same mileage that honda CRVs and Toyota RAV4s get here in north America and they are 2 of the most fuel efficient S.U.Vs available here. Our V8 engines get about 5 kms per liter in town. It is true however that your friend is getting pretty poor figures for a diesel engine. Maybe poor gas quality ????

By the way, couldn't help but notice that you claim you drive a 2005 Disco 2 ???? please explain, for they were last built in 2004. Unless different in your part of the world, or you meant Disco 3 ???
Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe he should take it easy with the skinny pedal.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
OSIYEZA

Default 2005/2004 Question

Pretty strange I agree - Disco II all the way...my Landy was one of the last to be built in the UK. They stopped end of April 2004....mine rolled out of factory on the 14th of April 2004. It reached South Africa late in 2004 and I bought it in early 2005 ( second last TD5 available in SA-Disco 3 was available...but I love Disco II's). As we quote the year of buying (new) and thus the year of registration...thats where the 2005 come from...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
OSIYEZA

Default Dubai/South Africa

Hi,
We live in Pretoria...50k's from Johannesburg..If you need anything or any advice ...just give a call...

Also if you have time, we could hit a trail for a day close-by in a game reserve...!

If you need any info....we could exchange info.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi all,
I drive my 03 discovery 2 TD5 Auto 5Km to work every day and its all up hill on country lanes with inclines of 1 in 5 to 1 in 4, so its working quite hard for the entire trip, but on the other hand its all down hill for 5Km back home. I'm getting around 7Km per litre for that kind of journey, I wouldn't say it was normal town driving conditions. If I take it on the highway it does around 10Km per Litre. I guess it does vary a lot depending on the type of trip you do.

I must add that Me and a few other people have noticed we are not getting the same fuel consumption now to what we were getting last year. This does raise a couple of questions.
Are they messing around with the fuel in order to save costs? And the end result to us the user is,
Are we are getting fewer miles to the Gallon or Km's to the Litre?
It does make you think.

Phil
discofacelift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
OSIYEZA

Default Fuel problem

Interesting that quite a few of you have had a change in km/liter. Here in South Africa ...where to our mind diesel prices have gone through the roof - R12 per liter or $1.6 per liter or 82 pence (UK) per liter , fuel stations were caught adding parrafin to the diesel for higher profits.

This is common practise in Botswana where the diesel fumes smell sweet from all the parafin added!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.