Got stuck, used winch. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Got stuck, used winch.

03 DII, 2" lift, ARD Brush Guard with Warn W8000 Winch + 2 PIA lights, and Safari Rack with 4 PIA + 1 utility light. Tom Woods front drive shaft. Michelin XZL 4X4 O/R - 7.5 R16C 116/114N Tires. My disco web album, have a look here.

06 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed averaging 47mpg......wish the disco did half that

Daedrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Trooper

Gallery: 3

What was the purpose of posting that?

Colin
cnfowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnfowler View Post
What was the purpose of posting that?

Colin
Just wanted to share. Don't really see many vids of people using there disco's on this forum.

03 DII, 2" lift, ARD Brush Guard with Warn W8000 Winch + 2 PIA lights, and Safari Rack with 4 PIA + 1 utility light. Tom Woods front drive shaft. Michelin XZL 4X4 O/R - 7.5 R16C 116/114N Tires. My disco web album, have a look here.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Always nice to have a winch, a couple of pointers, don't wrap you cable around a tree, good way to kill it ,use a tree strap and hook to it.
And as a saftey precaution always wrap a cot, leather bag or something around, Over the year I have seen at least 3 or 4 people that didn't brake a cable or hook and the winch cable will come back and go right through the windshield. That is why I awitched to rope, something breaks, the rope doesn't rebound, it just drops to the ground

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Like getting punched in the face by a guy wearing pink brass knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
Always nice to have a winch, a couple of pointers, don't wrap you cable around a tree, good way to kill it ,use a tree strap and hook to it.
And as a saftey precaution always wrap a cot, leather bag or something around, Over the year I have seen at least 3 or 4 people that didn't brake a cable or hook and the winch cable will come back and go right through the windshield. That is why I awitched to rope, something breaks, the rope doesn't rebound, it just drops to the ground
Amen to the rope. A loaded steel cable is terrifying when it comes loose. I saw a hook break and shot the cable back through the plexiglass windshield of a Jeep. Guy had a few stitches, but only because the plexi took so much force out. Had it his shield been out or glass, it could have ended a lot worse. Ropes just fall dead like someone cut a piece of string.

Have you ever sat on the edge of the bed with one shoe on and wondered if you were getting ready for work or going to bed?
MARGRETTE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome man I always loved self recovery when I had my jeep. What winch are u running?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
drillerjoe84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chicago where body armor is needed for a day in the park

sigh...

Oh and unless your trying to get rid of your girl you might want to have her start out somewhere safe instead of inline with that winch line.

Need Parts?

www.lucky8llc.biz (716) 898-8153

PT Schram pt@ptschram.com

paulgrant@gmail.com

http://lucky8llc.com/L8Forum/index.php

1983 Land Rover 110 5 door wagon

1972 MGB
ArmyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
And I didn't even submit a proposal...

I arrived at the scene of an accident where a man was killed by the remaining half of his winch hook ten years ago. Exact same setup, right in the kisser.

Drape a heavy blanket over the wire about 1/3 of the way from the hook so it dampens the energy of the wire if it breaks at the hook. The hook will wrap around the blanket instead of hitting someone.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARGRETTE View Post
Amen to the rope. A loaded steel cable is terrifying when it comes loose. I saw a hook break and shot the cable back through the plexiglass windshield of a Jeep. Guy had a few stitches, but only because the plexi took so much force out. Had it his shield been out or glass, it could have ended a lot worse. Ropes just fall dead like someone cut a piece of string.
This is why i will continue to post things like this, i always get good advice on what im doing wrong and how to correct it. A picture says a thousand words but a video speaks millions. Thanks guys.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

This may be the time to start thinking about next project , buy and install a CDL nose assembly on you t/case fir that extra traction.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

Need Parts?
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedrix View Post
This is why i will continue to post things like this, i always get good advice on what im doing wrong and how to correct it. A picture says a thousand words but a video speaks millions. Thanks guys.
^ +1 by posting things like this helps prevent accidents next time. otherwise you wouldnt have known the difference.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SE7
SLYrover

SLYrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Funny thing mike, i did that already with help from you and Pat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillerjoe84 View Post
Awesome man I always loved self recovery when I had my jeep. What winch are u running?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Warn W8000

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

And you still got stuck, time for a locker or two.

Need Parts?
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Me being stuck might be due to the three amigos:p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.