Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Got stuck, used winch.

5K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Spike555 
#1 ·

#3 ·
Just wanted to share. Don't really see many vids of people using there disco's on this forum.

#4 ·
Always nice to have a winch, a couple of pointers, don't wrap you cable around a tree, good way to kill it ,use a tree strap and hook to it.
And as a saftey precaution always wrap a cot, leather bag or something around, Over the year I have seen at least 3 or 4 people that didn't brake a cable or hook and the winch cable will come back and go right through the windshield. That is why I awitched to rope, something breaks, the rope doesn't rebound, it just drops to the ground

#5 ·
Amen to the rope. A loaded steel cable is terrifying when it comes loose. I saw a hook break and shot the cable back through the plexiglass windshield of a Jeep. Guy had a few stitches, but only because the plexi took so much force out. Had it his shield been out or glass, it could have ended a lot worse. Ropes just fall dead like someone cut a piece of string.

#13 ·
Warn W8000

#7 ·
sigh...

Oh and unless your trying to get rid of your girl you might want to have her start out somewhere safe instead of inline with that winch line.

#8 ·
I arrived at the scene of an accident where a man was killed by the remaining half of his winch hook ten years ago. Exact same setup, right in the kisser.

Drape a heavy blanket over the wire about 1/3 of the way from the hook so it dampens the energy of the wire if it breaks at the hook. The hook will wrap around the blanket instead of hitting someone.

#10 ·
This may be the time to start thinking about next project , buy and install a CDL nose assembly on you t/case fir that extra traction.

#12 ·
Funny thing mike, i did that already with help from you and Pat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#14 ·
And you still got stuck, time for a locker or two.

#15 ·
Me being stuck might be due to the three amigos:p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#16 ·
That will do it.

#19 ·
How heavy does the weight have to be?

#20 ·
3to 10 pounds, some people use 2 sided sand bags others go to a 4 wheel shop and buy something made for this.

#22 ·
I have a shipping blanket that should do the trick then.

#24 ·
Tom I love how your so willing to to offer such insightful advice while not sounding like a total ass. Everyone has been giving me great advice on what i did wrong and how to fix it , but you seem to venture the path less traveled. As for educating myself, i thought that was the point of the forum. But i digress, every experience is a learning one and the next time time i put up a vid of me winching, it will be done safer due to what i have learned from the people on the forum, that includes you too Tom.:drink1:

#25 ·
"...venture the path less traveled"? Every winch manufacturer includes a manual that covers safe winching.
They don't say "Use the winch while being videoed and post it on a forum so people can point out what you're doing wrong."
So it would seem all winch manufacturers are asses also.

#27 ·
Movers' quilts seem like a good idea based on DiscoMike's weight recommendation. I have two that movers left several years ago. I weighed them yesterday and they were 7.5 to 8 lbs. each.

#28 ·
Yesterday I noticed that Lucky8 has cable bags for sale, might check them out.

#29 ·
You dont need a locker, you have a winch.
90% of off roading does not require a locker, the other 10% requires a locker or a winch, you already have a winch.
If you had working traction control that would be almost equivalent to a winch, so save your money on the lockers and fix your 3 Amigo's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.