Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

High pitched chirping noise

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  muleears 
#1 ·
Hey guys. 2001 Disco II. When I'm trying to maintain speed by just barely pressing the gas I hear this medium/high pitched chirping.
It isn't noticeable when I'm accelerating or when I'm coasting.
Any ideas on what it is, how to fix it, or ballpark on price to fix it?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Nick

#2 ·
drive shaft is going out.

#4 ·
Do you feel any shaking in the steering upon acceleration (could be at any speed)? I just replaced my front driveshaft, the U joints were getting worn. I crawled under the Disco and could see the joints starting to go. 3 U joints on the front drive shaft and 1 U joint on the rear. You might as well inspect all of them to see if you notice any wearing on them. I ended up getting a new front drivershaft $350 from BP Utah, and replaced the U joint in the rear, also bought the rubber coupling for rear.

The driveshaft will def start making some noise if its starting to go.

Break down in cost: ($466 parts from BP Utah with shipping): Front driveshaft $350, proshaft bolt kit $10, rear rubbering coupling $50, U Joint OKN OEM $30, shipping $26.

If you do notice the rear to be worn just rebuild the U joint, as I mentioned there is only 1 (the rear drive shaft is more expensive--$700, so thats why I say rebuild it). The front you might as well just buy a new driveshaft and you can install it yourself, its pretty straight forward, take old driveshaft out, put new driveshaft in. Unless you want to rebuild all 3 U Joints...up to you, I just bought a brand new driveshaft. The one from BP utah is solid, very happy with it. If you are in IL, I know a guy that does U joint fixes, if you are handy its not that hard to rebuild it yourself.

Def get it fixed up tho before it gets worse. I didn't drive my truck until I fixed the problem to be safe. After the fix, back on the road smooth as can be. Good luck!

PS: Make sure you grease up the centering ball on the U joints every 5000 miles. Prevents them from getting warn in the future.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.