How far should a thermostat open? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default How far should a thermostat open?

As I posted yesterday, my D2 is running hot.
-recent head gaskets
-new water pump
-new radiator
-new thermostat
-new temp sensor

Since I haven't been able to feel any heat in the lower radiator hose, I decided to change the thermostat (again).

I checked the radiator today, and only a small portion along the top is getting hot - the rest is cold.

I bled the system twice after changing the thermostat - heat into the cabin is fine.

I tested the thermostat in hot water, and it only appears to open about 1/8 of an inch at 95C. Is this normal?

Thermostat is an aftermarket part - not sure if anyone else has had problems.

Any suggestions for what to look for would be much appreciated.
messar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

T/stat starts to open at 180 and is full open at 192. I would get a real Rover t/stat, also is your electric cooling fan working and have you tested the mechanical fan to make sure the clutch is working properly?

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi,

Yes, electric fan works fine.

The mechanical fan appears to work fine as well when the engine starts, (according to RAVE, it should engage, then disengage), but may not be doing much when the car is running since it won't be getting much heat from the radiator (cold to the touch in front of the fan) - (per Rave, the heated element sense the heat at the radiator).

I'll buy a genuine thermostat, and try that. (will be away for a week, but I'll try it when I get back)

Thanks,

matt
messar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gallery: 5

directly from the rave:
Thermostat - Main valve
The thermostat is used to maintain the coolant at the optimum temperature for efficient combustion and to aid engine
warm-up. The thermostat is closed at temperatures below approximately 82C (179F). When the coolant
temperature reaches approximately 82C the thermostat starts to open and is fully open at approximately 96C
(204F). In this condition the full flow of coolant is directed through the radiator.
The thermostat is exposed to 90% hot coolant from the engine on one side and 10% cold coolant returning from the
radiator bottom hose on the other side.
Hot coolant from the engine passes from the by-pass pipe through four sensing holes in the flow valve into a tube
surrounding 90% of the thermostat sensitive area. Cold coolant returning from the engine, cooled by the radiator,
conducts through 10% of the sensitive area.
In cold ambient temperatures, the engine temperature is raised by approximately 10C (50F) to compensate for the
heat loss of 10% exposure to the cold coolant returning from the bottom hose.
03 Land rover disco 2 -- ARB bullbar w/warn m8000, Custom rear bumper, 04 CDL installed, Muffler removed, 16" Steel rims 235/85 Destination MT's, Spare tire moved to load space, Pioneer radio, OME 2inch HD lift, Front and rear TruTrack diffs, scangauge2.
12 Mercedes-benz ML350 BlueTec 28-mpg
12 VW Touareg TDI Executive 30-mpg
myskyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation

ok so in sitting down today and re-reading the rave i noticed somthing very very odd : In cold ambient temperatures, the engine temperature is raised by approximately 10C (50F) to compensate for the
heat loss of 10% exposure to the cold coolant returning from the bottom hose.

and thinking about it if my truck is running at 204 F and then the temps drop outside the truck is setup to be running at 254F !!!! WOW to me that is over heating!!!! anyone else see this and wonder about it? ie head gastket failures over heating problems in the winter with no logical reasoning...
03 Land rover disco 2 -- ARB bullbar w/warn m8000, Custom rear bumper, 04 CDL installed, Muffler removed, 16" Steel rims 235/85 Destination MT's, Spare tire moved to load space, Pioneer radio, OME 2inch HD lift, Front and rear TruTrack diffs, scangauge2.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

No, your thinking is completely wrong. Get a scanner and get direct heat reading over a day of driving.
Driving in Colorado in our rather brisk weather, my truck stay under 204 unless it is hot out and I am driving up to the Divide then it can go to 212.
An aluminum engine can't take much over 220 before long term damage will start showing up.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

Need Parts?
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
wheelen disco

Mine runs about 194 no matter the ambiant temp , and I drove 150 miles in -20f ( wind chill ) today
Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
No, your thinking is completely wrong. Get a scanner and get direct heat reading over a day of driving.
Driving in Colorado in our rather brisk weather, my truck stay under 204 unless it is hot out and I am driving up to the Divide then it can go to 212.
An aluminum engine can't take much over 220 before long term damage will start showing up.
so if my thinking is completly wrong how else should that be taken? it says is COLD ambient tempatures not HOT... so in hot weather driving the truck stays cool but when its cold, it can over heat due to design... thats what they say, not just me.. also i do have a scan gauge and being stock i have seend my temps rise to over 225! on a day with the outside temp at about 18F... i have also been watching the temps when i drive the rover and it starts at 194 and will stay there crusing down the highway once off and into the city my temps rise to 204 then it will sometimes keep rising if i am in traffic to over 220 sometimes if not, it depends on how cold it is outside...
so to say my thinking is wrong is an incorrect statment... did you do the cooling mod to your truck? if so why? your thinking must be way off?! well i am not going to start a fight i am just pointing out your logic as well as mine...
I am planning on doing the cooling mod to rid the rover of this potentually destrucktive flaw... also i am not going to post this in the other thread...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

You might want to send me your number so we can talk. I would not advise to that coolant modification, it will cause you more grief then fix anything. If you have read the Rave, about 2 pages on the t/stat and how it had a dual function, one of which if illiminated will not allow the coolant to be routed thru the heater core at low RPM and can run you hotter.

Need Parts?
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.