How to replace Ignition Coils - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default How to replace Ignition Coils

Hi. I am trying to replace the coils and ignition wires on my Land rover Discover Series II (2004) . The coils seem to be on the back side of the engine wedged between the fire wall and the intake manifold. I started taking off the manifold but it seems to be stuck. The back side of the manifold seems to be what is not coming up. I found the center back bolt and took it out, so thats not it.

Questions.
Do I need to take the manifold off to replace the ignition wires and coils ?
Is there an easier way to get to the coil(s) ?
Is there a hidden bolt I'm missing ?

This started with a failed inspection. Error code P0306 and a check engine light. I replace all of the plugs. The passenger ( right side) plugs were very bad.
newme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

You don't have to remove the manifold to do it, but it sure is a lot easier unless you are very good with your hands. I believe there are 6 bolts holding the manifold itself and there may be two more very small bolts holding the coil pack bracket on the manifold.

2010 F150 XLT 5.4L V8 stock for now... Towing my Rover wherever its little heart desires.
Burncycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm trying to get the plenum off too. I believe mt 03 needs wires. It seems that the plate which has the coils mounted on it comes up over the edge of the plenum and stops it coming off. I have removed the SAI mount bolts mentioned above with no luck. There were pictures posted here at one time by a user known as 007 but the links don't function. He claimed to have good images of the process.
63rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I couldn't get the manifold off, so I just put it back together again. It popped the P0306 and P0300 codes within the first 6 miles. I can feel it bobble once in a while. I'm looking at the space back there. I can't even get more than one finger onto the coils back there.. Suggestions ? Am I missing something ? Can I get the wires off without actually seeing them ?
newme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

the coil pack is kinda f'ed up. IIRC there are 4 bolts that hold the coil pack in place, 2 upper bolts that go into the upper intake and 2 in the lower. have to look down to see them.

the u/i (upper intake) has to come straight up about 1/8", the lower has 2 dowel pins (located internally) to line up the u/i when installed. this is hard to do with the hard heater pipe lines in place (on top of pass. valve cover). you can remove or pull up on u/i at a slight angle and pull u/i out to the right (driver side).

be careful, alum dings easy. don't wanna mess up the machined surfaces.

Bill H.

The Rave on pdf's. http://macassemble.com/lrm/
hafaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

it is a big pain in the butt. i replaced my: valve cover gaskets, upper intake plenum gasket, magnecore wires and ngk plugs, and throttle heater plate. even with the upper intake off, it was a huge pain!

i dont see how it would be possible to change coil pack or wires without having that upper intake off. mine has that stupid hardline back there as well, for the secondary air, which made pulling out the coil pack a pain too
RAYMAN985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Follow the instructions on this post:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Ignore your brain when it tells you several times "that's not possible", I had to ignore mine several times during the 3-hour journey to get this done!

It wasn't mentioned anywhere, but the biggest revelation that I had during the process was to use a stepladder to gain better access to the wires. The next challenge was getting my arms down in there, but that's another story!

Good luck - it IS possible!
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.