Inertia Switch - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Inertia Switch

Hi there,

I am working with a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II with 118k miles. I have been having issues with.. what I am thinking is my inertia switch. The vehicle will turn over and everything has power. It just will not start. It doesnt even want to start after attempting to reset the inertia switch. I am just wondering if anyone has had this problem before or if they know if just bypassing the inertia switch is a possibility for a temporary solution.
Thanks
ducmed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Sheppard Wanna Be

Default Ooooh ooooh. I know I know

Crankshaft Position Sensor. (CKP) Oh yes. That is it. Check out my earlier thread and good luck...

I don't know how to post a link to my thread but it sure worked out for me.
HIS: 1996 Discovery Series I, "Saudi" grille, OME 3" lift springs, OME Stabilizer, LR Diff lock, Bilstein shocks, ARB front bumper, WARN M12000, Safety Devices roof rack, LR rear ladder, 4 Hella 4000's, LR OEM driving lights, best of all LR cup-holders.

HERS: 1999 Discovery Series II, OME Stabilizer, LR Brush bar, LR rear ladder, LR Cup-holders. Hella 500's.

Ours: ARB 45QT. Cook Partner, 3 burner stove, REI Camp Kitchen.
Voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I forgot to mention that the four ways are constantly on ( I removed the fuse to prevent the draining of the battery) and when I attempt to start the truck the horn honks and when I turn the key to off the horn honks. Would this still be the Crankshaft Position Sensor! Please say yes! This would make my life a thousand times easier.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
wheelen disco

Security system, is your red light on the dash flickering?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have never seen the light flicker on the dash. My truck has an aftermarket alarm with remote start installed. I never got the original key or key fob with it. I also have never been able to use the power locks. The lock switch on the dash does not work. I can here it clicking, like a relay somewherem but it doesnt actually lock the doors.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Sheppard Wanna Be

Default Goood Morning Documed

I went through the exact scenario on my wife's 1999 Disco II...

Regarding the single horn honk and subsequent 4-Way flashing, that is indeed caused by the IFS being triggered. Hers did the same thing. I thought my IFS switch was bad. I bought an in-line spade fuse holder and "Jumpered" the IFS. What I discovered was, there was nothing wrong with my IFS. When I pushed the reset button on top of IFS the 4-ways stopped flashing and no more horn honk.

I installed the new CKP (Actually my mechanic Brian did for $65.00 labor) and it cured all of the starting problems. Disco fired up as new!
It was hard for me to believe that such an insignificant little part could cause such a calamity but........ it did.

Good luck on yours.
HIS: 1996 Discovery Series I, "Saudi" grille, OME 3" lift springs, OME Stabilizer, LR Diff lock, Bilstein shocks, ARB front bumper, WARN M12000, Safety Devices roof rack, LR rear ladder, 4 Hella 4000's, LR OEM driving lights, best of all LR cup-holders.

HERS: 1999 Discovery Series II, OME Stabilizer, LR Brush bar, LR rear ladder, LR Cup-holders. Hella 500's.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just went to Autozone and ordered the Crankshaft position sensor today. I am really hoping this works, I wanted to take the truck on my small vacation this weekend. Any other helpful hints regarding this problem... I have read quite a bit about the CkPS and it does sound a lot like the symptoms I have been having... i.e. dying randomly and being able to start it randomly. Just the last time it died, it wouldn't start back up at all. Fingers are crossed that this works!!!!!! I miss my Land Rover
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Sheppard Wanna Be

Default I know what you mean...

Ducmed,

I think you will be happily surprised. If you are doing it yourself you need a 7mm and an 8mm box wrench, long as possible...

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

UPDATE:

I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. The old one I pulled out, the metal part that is inserted inside was bent. I am also trying to get the serpentine belt replaced with no luck. The belt just seems way to small. I do have the ACE and I got the belt for ACE. After replacing the CKPS I tried to start and still nothing. I tried with my old inertia switch and with just crossing the wires for that switch. I just read my codes...

P1884 CAN message WFPDK (DKI) Invalid (FFH)

P0560 Generic System Voltage

P1536 Land Rover - Air Conditioning Compressor power stage fault drive cycle A:Signal Missing

P1668 Land Rover - Anti Theft Alarm Serial Link fault drive cycle A: Signal out of range above maximum
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmed View Post
UPDATE:

I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. The old one I pulled out, the metal part that is inserted inside was bent. I am also trying to get the serpentine belt replaced with no luck. The belt just seems way to small. I do have the ACE and I got the belt for ACE. After replacing the CKPS I tried to start and still nothing. I tried with my old inertia switch and with just crossing the wires for that switch. I just read my codes...

P1884 CAN message WFPDK (DKI) Invalid (FFH)

P1536 Land Rover - Air Conditioning Compressor power stage fault drive cycle A:Signal Missing

P1668 Land Rover - Anti Theft Alarm Serial Link fault drive cycle A: Signal out of range above maximum

I'm bumping this old thread in hopes to fix my 02 Disco II. I had these exact same codes & problem, bought it from a friend this way. CKPS & inertia switch have been replaced along with fuel pump. I then suspected the battery, had it tested (good) and fully charged, cleared the codes, still nothing. Checked the codes again, now I'm down to only P0560 & P1536 with no start. I know we can't be the only people in the world that have had this problem. I pm'd ducmed a couple weeks ago but he has not responded. Someone PLEASE help!
Fuel, Spark, Air...
I know it's not getting spark because not even a hint of crank after spraying starter fluid into the throttle body.
Auto Parts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

somebody help me out here..
disco mike?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

The P1884 has 8 different possibilities. needs to be read by the dealer for accuracy.

the p1668 will most likely by a dealer thing also (security system issue).

thats all i got. good luck

Bill H.

The Rave on pdf's. http://macassemble.com/lrm/
hafaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks but like I said, I cleared those 2 codes and am left with:

Any help with these 2 codes is appreciated.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
Thanks but like I said, I cleared those 2 codes and am left with:

Any help with these 2 codes is appreciated.
my apologies.... i only read the quote in you last post.

Bill H.

The Rave on pdf's. http://macassemble.com/lrm/
hafaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hey no worries at all I just want to get this thing running again.& I know someone has been here done that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.