Interior plastic wrap - door panel - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Interior plastic wrap - door panel

passengers side window is stuck in the down position so i popped my door panel off but was wondering if there is a good/easy way to deal with the plastic layer that seals the inside of the door.

I don't want to cut through it but pealing it around the door doesn't seem like a great option either.

Any advice from someone with some experience in this department would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
texasttk55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cut it and tape it with clear packaging tape. You can get away with an L cut large enough to fit your hand through.
Bosbefok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

ok so i cut the plastic back and can see that there is a piece of a white roller in the lower tract.

the window motor is working but there is no movement at all. Is the white plastic roller the culprit or should i be looking for something more?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

so i did a little research and it seems that i'm going to have to replace the passenger side regulator.

im going to go ahead and order the part unless someone has some better advice.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Recently I have taken out the old passengers side window regulator and am in the process of installing the mew one. My question is does the electric motor not have any mounting hardware on the back of the regulator plate? It looks to me like the only thing holding the motor to the regulator is the pressure from the motor gear on the toothed tract.

Is this correct or am I missing some backing hardware? The three Torx screws just seem to be sitting in the plastic housing of the electric engine with no nut securing them to the actual regulator plate.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey texasttk55, I recently removed the door paneling on my '04 Disco to try and see why my window is acting up. When the window is going down, it makes a loud pop, almost like it is off its track. Did you find anything when working on yours that might help me before I tear into the moisture barrier?
rwhitmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitmo04 View Post
Hey texasttk55, I recently removed the door paneling on my '04 Disco to try and see why my window is acting up. When the window is going down, it makes a loud pop, almost like it is off its track. Did you find anything when working on yours that might help me before I tear into the moisture barrier?
Either the motor has taken a dump or the little white plastic wheel has cracked, broken or fallen off completely. You can cut through the plastic and tape it up later. Go ahead ,... you can do it! I dare you!

The motor is held in place via 3 #4 torq screws that run through the regulator and into the motor. I bet you have the motor on the wrong side of the regulator, upside down or backwards. It's the only way it can go.

To test: Take the regulator and attached motor out. Detach it from regulator and run the window from the switch. If it works it's good. Put it inot the regulator and test again. sometimes it binds. Often as a result of the little white wheel going so it sips out of the track and jacks up.

If the switch is good it is usually the motor and wheel issue.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rip Thr Plastic Of And Go Buy A Roll Of Temp. Carpet Protector Film
03discoveryrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can get to it this weekend.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
AZ Disco

I have the same problem with my '04 disco that I just bought last month but I wish the roller was still there. If your window moves up and down a fraction of an inch with a sideways tilt then your problem is not the regulator. The piece of metal the roller fits on has got caught in a hole in the top bar of the window lift assembly. All you have to do to free it is get a friend to operate the window while you stick your hand up to free the metal piece the roller sits on and the window will roll down for you to fix. If you can't get the roller back on cover the hole with some duct tape and your window will still work fine.

p.s. watch your hand doesn't get caught in the window when it is coming down.
Aug '10 Replaced water pump and fan.
aohanlon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasttk55 View Post
so i did a little research and it seems that i'm going to have to replace the passenger side regulator.

im going to go ahead and order the part unless someone has some better advice.
That is the problem, you can get a used one from one of the parts guys in the classified section they are $$$$$ new.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

So I just tore through the moisture barrier and rolled my window down only to realize that it no longer makes a popping noise... The motor sounds like it is about to go, but the popping is gone. I don't want to put the paneling back on only for the noise to return. Should I go ahead and pull everything as suggested?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

The white plastic wheel was the culprit. The regulator appears to be bent as well. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Is there anywhere that I can buy just the white plastic wheel, or am I going to have to replace the whole regulator?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitmo04 View Post
Is there anywhere that I can buy just the white plastic wheel, or am I going to have to replace the whole regulator?
Gotta replace the whole regulator.....the wheel is riveted on there. I have tried a few different ways to remove the wheel alone, but the rivets would be too much trouble on the replacement wheel. Some one may want to McGyver one but not me. You can order a regualtor from the used parts guys in the classified section. Not too expensive without the motor, then use your motor on the ordered regulator.

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.