Jeep vs Land Rover - which is a better offroad SUV? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Jeep vs Land Rover - which is a better offroad SUV?

Alright. I know what most of you are thinking. Of course a Land Rover is a better offroad SUV, right? But I've been talking with a few people on other forums who claim Jeeps, especially the new Jeep Wrangler is a better offroad SUV and outperforms the Discovery , LR3 and RR Sport in all conditions including water and especially in the mud.

Does anyone have any specific reasons for or against? I'm NOT trying to bash on Jeeps. They seem fine to me. I'm just wondering for purposes of the discussion I was having. Cheers.
WLADiscoII99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Jeep = Nemissis

I prefer the luxury amenities the LR offers while it can go any place a jeep can go. If all other things are considered equal tires, lift, gears, 4.o. I feel like I'm in a tin box in a jeep. While I'm perfectly comfortable rolling up to the valet at the lodge in my DII. Their eye's light up every time I pull up..

Maybe it's the mini skirt ? I don' know..
Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

Gallery: 12

DD2.....is today's avatar your 4x4 posse ??

spiderfreak80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bachlorette party pose....
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

They each have their own ups and downs. I've had 9 Jeeps, Cherokees and Wranglers, and two rovers. I like the crudeness of the Jeeps off-road, no electronics to bother with my "when all else fails, stick it" attitude - but that's what I grew up using. Things are a little different now though. With having all of the goodies in the DII I feel like I get spoiled, which is FINE by me. And yes, my DII is much more comfortable than any of my lifted or stock Jeeps. Given my choice, I'd have my disco over any of my Jeeps but shhh - I still have my 87 Grand Wagoneer around.

"Naw, it's not leaking...it's marking its territory!"
"Quick, take a picture, there's no lights on the dash!"

265/75/16 BFG AT KO's on factory 16's, lightened the front end with bumper removal (with help from a poorly placed tree), driveshaft mishap avoided, blah blah...
tomrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
got mud?

They are both great 4x4s.. I say it comes down to whose behind the wheel. However, I wouldn't mind having a 4door rubicon. Only downside to the jeeps is that the engine is so damn weak. If it came with a v8 or a diesel they would be near perfect.
Jupiter Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Those four door rubis are nice, but NOT nicer than my DII. I have a friend with the new one $38,000 off the showroom floor.. Mine is 10 years old and is more luxurious on the inside minus, navigation. It will go more places, (longer wheel base on the 4 door jeeps suk), my ride is smoother, leather seats. That rubi rattles around, air whistles through the door jams....eventually that roof will warp and the top wont fit anymore..It's a poser..jeeps around here are for college students and tourists...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

From my experience my 2001 DII with 245/75/r16s and a cdl it has been able to not necessarily outperform (yet) but it has done everything that my clubs jeeps have done. and most of them have 33" m/t of some sort and a locker in the rear as well as sway bar disconnects. And it is a plus getting to be so comfy while off roading and i would much prefer this v8 over the jeep 6 having driven a few.
Burncycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
2002 Discovery II SE

I wheel with a guy who has a brand new Rubicon. Its pretty evenly matched to my Disco. His advantage is the approach and departure angles. Lockers are another plus for him, but my traction control works awesome with the difflock engaged.

But:

They are not nearly as tough. Hes been through an engine and about 3 clutches for my one powersteering pump and a MAF sensor. His is pretty much completely obliterated where as my truck has a few scratches. Hes also an incredably aggressive driver, as are most jeep drivers I know.

But the biggest thing of all:

I can fit 5 people in my truck, camping gear and enough beer to last a weekend. He'd be lucky to fit his girlfriend and a picknick basket, let alone a cooler for beers.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
got mud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDream2 View Post
Those four door rubis are nice, but NOT nicer than my DII. I have a friend with the new one $38,000 off the showroom floor.. Mine is 10 years old and is more luxurious on the inside minus, navigation. It will go more places, (longer wheel base on the 4 door jeeps suk), my ride is smoother, leather seats. That rubi rattles around, air whistles through the door jams....eventually that roof will warp and the top wont fit anymore..It's a poser..jeeps around here are for college students and tourists...
38K is way too much for a jeep. I forgot how ridiculously overpriced they are.
Jupiter Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Back in a Series LR after 25 years :-)

If your talking about going out today and buying a new rig than the Jeep has LR beat hands down.
All the new LR's have independent suspension.
Makes for a nicer ride for the mall crawler crowd which is most of their sales so I can't blame them for going in this direction.

I've wheeled with a new LR3 recently and with all the low hanging suspension parts he was getting hung up all the time.
He is stuck with the large diameter rims as anything smaller won't clear the brakes.
Used my winch more on that ride than I did the rest of the summer.

Now this is just my opinion but I wish they still sold a solid axle rig in the US.

Back in a LR after 25 years!!!

71 Series IIa 88
01 D2, 2" lift, CDL. RTE front bumper with 9500# Ramsey winch
"BackInA88" on all the other LR forums
(Sign up here first and couldn't think of a good handle at the time! )
slouzon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
..\;/...

I had a 08 Rubi and like I said before I went wheelin in the trails by me and I had 33" procomp xtreme mud terrians and all locked up and got stuck where a stock disco with old m/t's was just walkn threw so about 1 week later bought a disco kept the Rubi for about another year and the wife said it looked like a car lot in the driveway and said I had to sell some toys and I chose the Rubi without even thinking don't get me wrong I loved the truck but the disco was better offroad and just way cooler and if I buy another jeep it's gonna be a willies real jeeps have flat fenders anyway
JAKD-UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

We have 2 Jeeps and now the Rover in the family.

IMO, the Jeep 2-door CJ's, YJ's & TJ's have an advantage in small wheelbase and size offroad compared to most Land Rover models.

The ability to take off the doors and top provides added visibility and fun factor.

There are also lots of cheap off-road parts for Jeeps that makes it a bit easier to outfit or fix them.

The Rover wins hands down as a true off-road 4X4 that can be street driven.

Admittedly, I have not taken our LR3 off road, but I have seen enough Land Rovers on the trail to have respect for them and to understand their differences from a Jeep Wrangler.

Ken
kencary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouzon View Post
If your talking about going out today and buying a new rig than the Jeep has LR beat hands down.
All the new LR's have independent suspension.
Makes for a nicer ride for the mall crawler crowd which is most of their sales so I can't blame them for going in this direction.

I've wheeled with a new LR3 recently and with all the low hanging suspension parts he was getting hung up all the time.
He is stuck with the large diameter rims as anything smaller won't clear the brakes.
Used my winch more on that ride than I did the rest of the summer.

Now this is just my opinion but I wish they still sold a solid axle rig in the US.

I'm not sure an LR3 is an off road vehical in my opinion. I agree, it seems like LR was trying to hard to complete with the mall crawlers and forgot it was a land rover. I'll put my 99 against any out the door rubi.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKD-UP View Post
I had a 08 Rubi and like I said before I went wheelin in the trails by me and I had 33" procomp xtreme mud terrians and all locked up and got stuck where a stock disco with old m/t's was just walkn threw so about 1 week later bought a disco kept the Rubi for about another year and the wife said it looked like a car lot in the driveway and said I had to sell some toys and I chose the Rubi without even thinking don't get me wrong I loved the truck but the disco was better offroad and just way cooler and if I buy another jeep it's gonna be a willies real jeeps have flat fenders anyway
Sounds about right....and you drove both. Dollar for dollar your Disco kicks that's rubi's booty and prolly cost less even after mods....sry I hate the rubi....

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.