Land Rover Discovery II Engine noise. *PLEASE LOOK!* - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Land Rover Discovery II Engine noise. *PLEASE LOOK!*

my aunt's discovery is making a gear whine noise when at around 2k rpm and above. is this normal? She needs to know before she goes back home in a couple days. so Please help! Thanks!
Jesse94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Sheppard Wanna Be

For the record we have two Discoveries, 1996 and 1999 and neither exhibit any "Gear Whine'. The only whine I ever hear is my wife wanting me to stop for something to eat...

The only time I had any whine in the engine room, it was a bad bearing on the alternator. You can take a long shank screwdriver, press the plastic handle next to your ear and touch the different rotating parts; AC, Alternator, steering pump, etc and hear pretty reliably which one is making the noise. For the bits that you can't safely reach, while keeping all your body parts safely clear, get a 3 or 4 foot piece of small diameter rubber hose. Fuel line is great and just hold one end at ear other endnear the component you are checking. You can isolate sounds pretty quick. We used the rubber hose method, to synochronize the three side draft carbs. on our MGB.

Good luck...
HIS: 1996 Discovery Series I, "Saudi" grille, OME 3" lift springs, OME Stabilizer, LR Diff lock, Bilstein shocks, ARB front bumper, WARN M12000, Safety Devices roof rack, LR rear ladder, 4 Hella 4000's, LR OEM driving lights, best of all LR cup-holders.

HERS: 1999 Discovery Series II, OME Stabilizer, LR Brush bar, LR rear ladder, LR Cup-holders. Hella 500's.

Ours: ARB 45QT. Cook Partner, 3 burner stove, REI Camp Kitchen.
Voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is this while driving or standing still?
Diffs can whine, or the transfer case.
Bosbefok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Driving And standing still.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok so that excludes diffs and TC, do as Voyageur says.
Those idler pulleys and tensioner pulley can also whine when they go bad.
Keep your fingers and other body parts out of the fan and serpentine belt - unless you're not attached to them.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Sheppard Wanna Be

Bosbefok...

Holy Crap! I thought you were talking about using my "Hose" method... LMAO!
HIS: 1996 Discovery Series I, "Saudi" grille, OME 3" lift springs, OME Stabilizer, LR Diff lock, Bilstein shocks, ARB front bumper, WARN M12000, Safety Devices roof rack, LR rear ladder, 4 Hella 4000's, LR OEM driving lights, best of all LR cup-holders.

HERS: 1999 Discovery Series II, OME Stabilizer, LR Brush bar, LR rear ladder, LR Cup-holders. Hella 500's.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just tried the screw driver on the alternator. Doesn't sound any different than my dad's truck's alternator. So I'm gonna rule that out. any other suggestions?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anything that turns in that engine bay can whine, there's plenty there.
Could it just be the cooling fan that's kicking in? Check the electric fan as well, the one behind the front frill.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Bosbefok...

Holy Crap! I thought you were talking about using my "Hose" method... LMAO!
That would be hectic
Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tried everything I could reach. the rubber hose trick didn't work for me. there is a pretty bad clunking noise in the rear passenger side of the motor. it isn't rod knock. sounds more like chunks of metal in between gears.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tom Sheppard Wanna Be

Default Other Rotating Equipment

Do the same on everything else that is spinning when the engine is idling. Get a piece of hose, it's better for access. Serpentine belt pulleys, (Idler is one) AC compressor, Power steering pump, Water pump is too close DON'T check that. Do you have secondary air?

See if the sound comes and goes when you turn the AC compressor on or off.

Make sure power steering pump reservoir is full of fluid. Low fluid sometimes equals "Whiney" noise.

Also make sure there is nothing touching the cooling fan shroud or aux. cooling fan blades. Every once in a while an object from the road hits something in the engine compartment and busts a hunk out of some plastic part. A piece of broken plastic, rubbing on a spinning part, works like a phonograph record.

Good luck...

Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tom Sheppard Wanna Be

Jesse... I sent my last reply before I read your last post.

>>>sounds more like chunks of metal in between gears. Have a qualified mechanic look at it right away. I wouldn't drive it any farther than I had to. That is potentially a very bad sound.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse94 View Post
Tried everything I could reach. the rubber hose trick didn't work for me. there is a pretty bad clunking noise in the rear passenger side of the motor. it isn't rod knock. sounds more like chunks of metal in between gears.
Seriously? If it sounds that bad then I would not run the engine and have it looked at by a mechanic.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

it isn't really That bad, but it is noticible if you have your head down in the engine. and it made it from north georgia to central florida just fine so I don't think its too serious.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Gallery: 5
Default Whine

If it's really high pitched it could definitely be an idler pulley. Mine had a really high pitched whine...until it froze, unscrewed itself, and allowed the serpentine belt to get caught in the fan. Not a pretty picture.

If it's coming from the engine compartment, try to find the source. Remove the serpentine belt and spin all of the components. These rovers do whistle and whine even when everything is OK, but anything out of the ordinary will not fix itself and could cause trouble down the road.
GuyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.