mpg increase - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default mpg increase

tring to get up to 17 city and over 20 highway. k&n air filter first. then maybe new exhaust. anyone chiped?
herness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

No chip, but I have K&N filter (dont fail me now MAF sensor!) and a dynomax catback system and a 3.5" dia. exhaust pipe and get about 12.5 MPG with sport mode activated all the time.

That being said, I also run 265/75-16 BFG M/T's with stock R&P gears.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by herness
tring to get up to 17 city and over 20 highway. k&n air filter first. then maybe new exhaust. anyone chiped?
Trade it in on something else. OR get an 03/04 and drive like a grandma and you might almost touch those numbers.

Chipped? Why? That's not the way to fuel economy... the ECU is already mapped for fuel economy.
Former Rovers
2004 Modded "S" Disco, R.I.P.
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Muddy Oval is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a K&N and a Mellowtone muffler ( Flowmaster knock off ) with no rear resinator and I get13 in city and 16 on interstate depending on the day. It seems the harder I drive it my milage doesnt change but I usually drive pretty easy. I also have 265/75 R16 BFG A/T's and I run 87 octane. I see no different with the grade of fuel. Every few tanks Ill add some Seafoam to a half full tank and run it out.

Before my mods with stock tires I got around 15 city and 18 interstate.
fvbrry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Oval
Trade it in on something else. OR get an 03/04 and drive like a grandma and you might almost touch those numbers.

Chipped? Why? That's not the way to fuel economy... the ECU is already mapped for fuel economy.
good point....

...herness, by chipping your rover you are forced to use high octane fuel and your vehicle will undoubtedly ping if you use anything less then probably 91/92 octane....many chips require that you use 93 octane that would force me to use additives every time because there isnt a place nearby that sells fuel that high. In short you will be getting a little more power, and in turn gas mileage if you use a chip with high octane fuel.....but there are practicality issues with that...

...for example, when I drive out to the black rock desert, there is only one small station that carrys it and if they run dry, which happens often, there wont be a gas station with high octane fuel for another 100 miles. If this was the case and you were chipped you would damage your car by putting in regular fuel and therefore your only option would be to keep your car there until you could make the 100+ mile trip with cans of the fuel that was required. If you add this issue, plus the $500 cost of the chip, it is really not worth saving a coulple miles and going chipped....it could cause more problems then its worth.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

the only chips you could legally use only affect wide open throttle. If you want economy, you should never see wide open throttle. the truck requires premium fuel anyway, and less octane will cause a loss of power and most likely lower fuel economy as well... and work your knock sensors to death.
running low octane on a properly tuned engine will work, although the knock sensors will not allow the timing to advance as much as it normally would. Causing a loss of power and potential carbon buildup and long term possible catalytic converter damage.
Former Rovers
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Old 01-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

true, I never use regular on an open basis, but if you need fuel, and thats all they have, you would be out of luck if you had a chipped vehicle.

By the way, this is the chip I assume we are all talking about;
http://www.powerchipgroup.com/produc...e=Land%20Rover

"Your Land Rover Discovery 4.0 V8 utilizes a Surface Mount Chip (SMT) – a very sophisticated and powerful memory device which is fitted to many late model (post 1996) vehicles. Because of its complexity, the SMT style chip must be 'flash' programmed in the same way as the dealership (don't worry - we do this for you when we recieve your ECU), similarly to when servicing the vehicle. The ECU itself is very easy to remove, and should be sent overnight to be modified at Powerchip and then return overnight to you (we use FedEx Priority Overnight Service). Detailed instructions (including photos) are also provided to ensure the ECU can be removed easily from the vehicle. Once complete, and re-installed into the vehicle, you are back on the road to enjoy your enhanced performance – as soon as possible.

In standard form, the Discovery 4.0 V8 produces 188 hp and 250 lb.-ft.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to between 203 hp [with 91 octane] and 206 hp [with 93 octane], and it's torque to between 267 lb.-ft and 272 lb.-ft.

The price of the Powerchips for your car is USD $490.00,"
Powerchip.com

Kinda lame, they dont even send you a new one......$490 is a little price for getting something re-flashed.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

The gas mileage you are wanting is really not out there. Keep your tires aired up high, burn good gas and drive reasonably, but that's no fun, so be happy with what you are getting.
Mike J.
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

17 and 20 - No way. I drive like an old man (am 65). Typically get 13.5 city and 17 highway (long trip/ flat road/ less than 70mph). I'm driving an '04 that is well broken in at 20,000 miles.

You've got a 4400 pound, low geared, full time 4wheel drive, tall and wide rig - You will not find any other rig that is as capable as your Disco that gets better mileage.
RockyRon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

wot about tranny chips??? My dad put one in his ford powered motorhome/rv (banks?)...i dont know about fuel...but he says the power is very noticeable?
98 Volvo V70 R "Saffron"
discorama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by discorama
wot about tranny chips??? My dad put one in his ford powered motorhome/rv (banks?)...i dont know about fuel...but he says the power is very noticeable?
You can't have extra power and additional MPG, it is one or the other. As for the chip, Rovers ECU handles the engine and tranny.
Mike J.
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ontario Yours to Discover

You can't get more horsepower AND fuel economy through a cotton gauze filter either. They are great for high horsepower in high revving engines.
With the extra dirt they let in, they guarantee a dirty MAF sensor and dirt in your engine. Use a prefilter if you are using one. They are great because you can wash and reuse them.
Nothing beats a high quality paper element, not even foam. Emphasis on the high quality part. (ie. real Land Rover)
NiagaraRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

I added a product called DYNAlube found it in so utah from aompany called
www.dinalifeintl.com they have agreat oil additive and fuel additive used them for years can add to all oils including hydralics i get 17 mpg all the time unless climbing luv the rover
papabeefis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

correction dynalifeintl.com sorry ? i type like i spell BAD lol...
papabeefis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Otherwise known as STEVE

Yeah- a cure-all in a can... that'll work.
Keep the filters clean, oil fresh, octane high and drive gently.
Flash that ECU and watch the dealer reflash it back to stock when you go in with problems... or when you fail emissions testing. Bad idea.

I will nit-pick a previous post about 'can't get both HP and economy' as that isn't always true. There are many mods that CAN do both and are dyno proven but they don't apply to Rovers. For instance, on a 1975 Camaro with a 350 V8, installing headers and dual exhaust combined with a mild "RV" cam and Edelbrock manifold w/Quadrajet- HP went up significantly as well as the fuel economy (as long as you drive gently). The HP gain was about 35 or so- fuel economy improved by 5 or 6%. It was a college project my stepbrother worked on and all dyno proven. A strong engine doesn't work as hard in normal driving and can often return better economy. For isntance, the 8cyl Ford F150 gets better fuel economy than the 6cyl.
Former Rovers
2004 G4 Disco
2002 Modded Freelander
1995 Modded Disco
1994 D-90 #8
1993 NAS D110
1990 Range Rover County
1973 SIII 88
1972 Range Rover 2 door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.