LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Drives like an old man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
New Disco-

Well, I saw a new Disco today. You won't see one of those stupid things in my driveway. It looks for all the world like a Hyundai Santa Fe. This thing looks as off-road ready as a Pinto and about as manly. Yuck. What a disgrace to the marque.
Drome and Ollifl like this.

2004 Disco II, bone stock, daily driver (gasp!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agree 100%
Drome likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Garage
It's so sad to see the LandRover to fall to the masses. Hopefully it is short lived and they will get shity feed back.
The classic styling has left the ball park for for a cheap looking crossover design. Granted it is time for a change, but they missed the mark on this one.
The land rover has never been a soccer mom or football mom vehicle and should follow along with the same traditions. Its never going to be a high numbers selling four wheel drive, and trying to make it in to one is just plain stupid. Its has such a great following and a loyal fan base. To mess with that is the start of a new falling for land rover that cannot be recovered from. Just my opinion.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Could not agree more. They do not look like Land Rovers. Think the accountants have taken over the company.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Drives like an old man

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to hear it's not just me. I think the best looking vehicle LR ever made is an early Series or a Defender. More purpose built and didn't give a damn about style or aerodynamics. It just had that get-you-anywhere look about it. The new ones are simply blend in look alikes. Sad.

2004 Disco II, bone stock, daily driver (gasp!)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
I hate to be the contrarian, but LR is a business. They need to sell cars.

Ever notice how much the new Explorer looks like a Range Rover? Or how much some Hyundai cars look like MBZ?

I rented an Impala last week and parked it next to my daughter's new Accord. Both were silver. All week I couldn't figure out which car to walk towards.

A manufacturer has to make some basic choices- they can either build something that looks like something else that's more expensive and sell them to those that want the expensive one but can't really tell the difference, or build something different- and try to leverage the history behind the product. Tata probably spent more than the lifetime earnings of everyone that will ever visit this forum on the design, from models to focus group testing, so I'm guessing they went with the direction their target buyers pointed them towards. I think the new design looks dramatically different than what you see out there. Cars these days all look alike and I rarely notice any of them, but I always notice the new one's.

And let's not discount the fact that for the first time in a very long time Land Rover is a stable business selling a quality product that people want to buy. Something that Leyland, the UK government, British Aerospace, BMW and Ford all failed at.

Truth be told, I always hated the look of the Discovery. When it came out, I thought it looked like a girl's car. It lacked the style of the Range Rover and the cool utilitarianism of the Defender. It took almost 20 years for its funkiness to grow on me.
redtruck12 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I get the "money savings" angle. They put a new name on the Range Rover, dummy down the options and use the same manufacturing line to manufacture both with little or no retooling. A great cost-savings' move.

But what you get is a vehicle that looks no different from any other crossover. So why pay more for a Land Rover when you can buy a cheap imitation that looks almost the same? In contrast, the Discos have always had a distinctive look that people perceive as an expensive vehicle. I have a white '06 LR3 HSE that still looks new. People are always coming up to me and asking if I like my Land Rover and saying that they would like to buy one someday. They are shocked to hear that it is 10 years old. With the new design that looks like a dozen other SUVs, that won't happen. Hopefully management will get the message and bring back the unique design that the public has always admired and desired
RileyS, Drome and Ollifl like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I have a 2006 LR3 with 200k in it, Wife has 2012 LR4 (12k miles), Don't really see us "upgrading" in a near future, unless I find a newer LR3 somewhere. BTW, we traded a newer Volvo xc60 for that LR4, and my wife's never been happier.
Drome likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:29 PM

Been having a hard time telling the difference between fords and LR's lately...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ugly new LR.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	74818  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.