Oil Change HELP! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Beach Bum

Gallery: 0
Default Oil Change HELP!

The most basic of basic!! Having a VERY hard time with my oil plug, it won't seem to come loose. Is there any type of spray I can use to soften it up? I even tried a hammer, couter clockwise.... Ideas welcome.
brian4d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you last change the oil???

Try some penetrating fluid or even a heat gun or hair dryer... It could just be the seal has bonded with the sump and/or the plug...
Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrivera View Post
Did you last change the oil???

Try some penetrating fluid or even a heat gun or hair dryer... It could just be the seal has bonded with the sump and/or the plug...
No the dealer did when I had it in for an oil pan gasket... 24Lbs on the wrench according to the RAVE cd... I guess I'll go buy a monster wrench and that fluid. But it's more than 24lbs for sure!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

"yup"!!
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4d View Post
No the dealer did when I had it in for an oil pan gasket... 24Lbs on the wrench according to the RAVE cd... I guess I'll go buy a monster wrench and that fluid. But it's more than 24lbs for sure!
Any luck getting it off???

I guess the Dealer Mechanics are "juicing" now... Maybe so we "do-it-yourselfers" can't undo their work...

Or, perhaps it's so next time we take it in to them, they say, "You need a new sump because we had to break off the drain plug"... Translation = we want to screw out of money!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stupid > Ignorant

Some of those mechanics use air tools on everything and love to squeeze on them air tool trigger..

I was at Sears today and was actually amazed to see them torquing each lug nut down with torque wrench.
DailyDrivenTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just take it back to the dealer and tell them to loosen it for you and tighten it properly. They'll never stop stupid shit like that until it costs them money. Time is money.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

In fairness to the dealership I find oil sump plugs do tend to bind even when tightened with my own torque wrench. I often find the next time I come to remove it, it takes an ungodly effort to free it up. On my wife's Honda I was starting to think it was part of the aluminum casting rather than the actual bolt it took such an effort to free it. I think the trick is to have a proper wrench rather than a socket set and to give it a good shock with a hammer, the looseness of a socket set seems to just absorb the shock

I don't know if Fram still sells the "sure drain" any more, I installed one on my LR and it's great, you simply remove a cap and screw on a hose that opens a valve and presto the oil comes out, albeit rather slowly. This way I don't even need a drain pan I just put the hose directly into a waste oil container.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Beach Bum

Default Yea

I finally got it loose. Went to Sears and bought a 15MM wrench (not socket) was able to get into a position that I could both hands on the wrench and feet on the curb and pulled it hard. The plug came loose and my wrench went flying and bounced off the exhaust, no damage. I also sprayed some PB on there. Now here is when the fun begins, the oil filter... Holy shit.....

Update:

Woke up this morning and feel like I've been in a boxing ring with 4 midgets. The mere act of getting out of bed was difficult to say the least. I feel like Gumby....
Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I finally got it loose. Went to Sears and bought a 15MM wrench (not socket) was able to get into a position that I could both hands on the wrench and feet on the curb and pulled it hard. The plug came loose and my wrench went flying and bounced off the exhaust, no damage. I also sprayed some PB on there. Now here is when the fun begins, the oil filter... Holy shit.....

Update:

Woke up this morning and feel like I've been in a boxing ring with 4 midgets. The mere act of getting out of bed was difficult to say the least. I feel like Gumby....
Please don't tell us you had to put a screwdriver through the oil filter...

I hate when someone else touches my vehicles... Brings me to tears....
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Stupid > Ignorant

I have about 4 different oil filter wrenches and strap wrench comes in handy time to time. I have had no need for the screw driver through the filter YET. *knock on wood.
DailyDrivenTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Beach Bum

Default Strap wrench...

Used my strap wrench.... Picture this, 100 outside + humid - Had to dent the filter 1/4 down before it even started counter clockwise. I had to take breaks between turns... Finally got it off. That's where the fun begins.

Anyone else have the back window seal problem on their DII? I got my needle nose pliers and began to tug (I'm left handed) and the seal moved a bit. I was warn out from my oil plug and oil filter experience so I tried to *rush* this job. I broke the #1 rule in the book right there. The damn window seal was not moving fast enough for my liking. I pulled harder, MUCH harder. The pliers slipped off the seal and my "pliers hand" jerked and bit me right in my face. WARNING: Be VERY careful if you’re trying this.

The end of the pliers struck about a quarter of an inch from my right eye. I said the hell with it and.... The rest is history.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Used my strap wrench.... Picture this, 100 outside + humid - Had to dent the filter 1/4 down before it even started counter clockwise. I had to take breaks between turns... Finally got it off. That's where the fun begins.

Anyone else have the back window seal problem on their DII? I got my needle nose pliers and began to tug (I'm left handed) and the seal moved a bit. I was warn out from my oil plug and oil filter experience so I tried to *rush* this job. I broke the #1 rule in the book right there. The damn window seal was not moving fast enough for my liking. I pulled harder, MUCH harder. The pliers slipped off the seal and my "pliers hand" jerked and bit me right in my face. WARNING: Be VERY careful if you’re trying this.

The end of the pliers struck about a quarter of an inch from my right eye. I said the hell with it and.... The rest is history.
I'm not familiar with the back window seal problem - what is it?

You have a lot more control than I do... I that would have happened to me, I would have put my fists through the glass in ANGER!!!

I'm assuming the oil and filter were completed...

Jonathan
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Beach Bum

Default Wind noise

If you're getting a Wind tunnel noise when traveling 45+mph it's most likely your back window seal. Roll down both back windows all the way. Look into the door frame at the seal. Don't confuse this with the rubber seal. Actually look into the thin metal black frame around the window, it's the fury seal. Sometimes the back seal (towards the rear) will drop down into the door. Mine was 1/4 down the side. This basically created a huge hole to the outside resulting in MAJOR wind noise. At times I thought my window was down! You can take pliers and tug, yank on the seal upwards. The seal will start to move until it's flush against the top part of the window once again. I cannot stress enough, if you have this issue and use needle nose pliers be VERY VERY careful, I almost lost an eye....

Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

my strap wrench wont budge th oil filter. too small, too slippery, too extreme an angle to get the right leverage. dont wanna use a jaw wrench and dent the new filter

i put a screw driver through it so it would know not to fck with me.

im gonna look for one of those "cap" wrenches but they look horrible

Looking
looking for a ducati monster in 620/750/800/900
range 3-4k S(2/4) is a bonus. clean titles only plz
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.