Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

oil mix

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  helievacpilot 
#1 ·
has anyone ever heard of useing the marvel mysrety oil mixed in on a new oil change?? basically your are putting in 1 quart of this additive and useing the rest of the oil u normally use. I could see it for a cleaning purpose but could this cause harm? I know people have used it in there gas tanks as a cleaner. Whats your input on this one guys?? Thanks

#3 ·
I would only use it if I knew I have an engine with sludge problems. You can use it up to 25% by volume. IMO it is better used in gas as an upper engine lube. It is not going to harm your engine if you dive normally but if you are off roading or towing your oil may get too hot and thin out a bit too much. It has been around for over half a century and if it actually did harm to engines it would not be on the shelves any more.

#4 ·
The diesel oil will deal with any sludge issue. In the end, no matter what "magical" ingredients are in MMO, it's still just thin oil. I use it for my air tools, but that's about it. Gas additive? OK. But why would you spend money on a specific weight of oil, just to thin it with MMO?
- Bill

#5 · (Edited)
I agree for the most part but HDEO will only clean so fast, mmo has a bit of solvent in it and the pale oil is a more polar solvent than motor oil.

It's more than thin oil and the ingredients are not a mystery:

From an oil forum:

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the scent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

#14 ·
Seafoam is a decent cleaner in the crankcase but does not do much in the gas tank. It is somewhere around 60% ethanol 40% pale oil if I recall correctly (gas already had 10% ethanol in it so adding a few more ounces of ethanol will not do a thing). For an injector cleaner use something with PEA in it like techron. If you really want an effective crankcase cleaner use berryman's chemtool, don't leave it in longer than 30 minutes and definitely don't drive around with it as it is pure solvent.

#15 ·
I'd worry about breaking loose something big if it were an unknow/higher mileage engine. Both of my 99 D2's were purchased at +100k miles. Changed them both over to "Mobil Delvac 1300 Super" diesel oil and within 3 oil changes the old oil coming out was noticably cleaner than before. My personal opinion is that it's better to clean a little at a time. Both are still running hard at +160k.
- Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.