over heating issues - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default over heating issues

Ok i have replaced the radiator, waterpump,thermostat and electric fan. I finally got a chance to drive it tonight after talking with a guy who may want to trade for an older bass boat. I drove it about 18 miles and it stayed steady and didnt overheat at all. Heat stayed constant and everything seems fine. I pop the hood and notice a slight hiss from the overflow tank. I called my friend who is a foreign auto shop owner and he says that its normal to hear a little from the overflow from time to time on a rover. I have bled the system 2 times via the t tube on the top radiator hose and it has pumped a little air out each time. Thats what scares me. I dont want to give this guy a giant piece of crap so i wanna make sure its not going to overheat. Is the distance i drove long enought for something to happen? thanks for any info. I have since bought a lr3 so dont have much need for the disco 2, wife says i cant keep it...lol
Flyin2jz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin2jz View Post
Ok i have replaced the radiator, waterpump,thermostat and electric fan. I finally got a chance to drive it tonight after talking with a guy who may want to trade for an older bass boat. I drove it about 18 miles and it stayed steady and didnt overheat at all. Heat stayed constant and everything seems fine. I pop the hood and notice a slight hiss from the overflow tank. I called my friend who is a foreign auto shop owner and he says that its normal to hear a little from the overflow from time to time on a rover. I have bled the system 2 times via the t tube on the top radiator hose and it has pumped a little air out each time. Thats what scares me. I dont want to give this guy a giant piece of crap so i wanna make sure its not going to overheat. Is the distance i drove long enought for something to happen? thanks for any info. I have since bought a lr3 so dont have much need for the disco 2, wife says i cant keep it...lol

Could be a couple of things. Still haven't bled all the air out of the system, or you have a head gasket going bad and are pressurizing the cooling system. Better be sure before trading it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yea that's the issue. I don't want someone to get a bad vehicle. I think I'm gonna pressure test it tonight. Would a leak at the throttle body plate allow air into the system. It's leaking a little.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a small leak on my plate so I ordered a new one. Have not received the new plate yet. I have the same hissing sound also. Even when I turn it off it will do it for a while. Im wondering if the cap is bad or if I got a bad HG. I have some seepage from the back of my engine anyways...
obababoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does yours overheat? I'm thinking of running some kw headgasket sealant they it just in case. It's really the only sealant that works. I'm gonna do it because I already only have water in the system so I just need to add it. My buddy has seen it work hundreds of times on BMW engines. He sai he has tried them all an it's the only one that works.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

On here they pretty much all say to stay away from it but I would replace the throttle body heater plate and maybe even the cap(sounds silly I know) before putting that stuff in the system.
Yeah I am running hot. I am waiting on the plate and new thermostat.
obababoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Does yours overheat? I'm thinking of running some kw headgasket sealant they it just in case. It's really the only sealant that works. I'm gonna do it because I already only have water in the system so I just need to add it. My buddy has seen it work hundreds of times on BMW engines. He sai he has tried them all an it's the only one that works.
Two things. WHY are you running straight water? And DO NOT use any head gasket sealant. Ask your know-it-all BMW buddy if he'll pay for a new engine when yours gets fouled up with that stuff?
Something else. Would YOU buy a LR that someone did that to? If your going to do it, be a stand-up guy and tell the guy your trading for the boat. If you did that to me, I'd take my boat back and kick your ass into tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Kw is the only one that works. He uses I when customers don't want to replace headgaskets on BMW cars. He said it has worked on most that had a small hg leak. Ill report back after using it tonight.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Kw is the only one that works. He uses I when customers don't want to replace headgaskets on BMW cars. He said it has worked on most that had a small hg leak. Ill report back after using it tonight.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would let him know or the next owner know. He just said it works well. Who's to say someone hasn't already done it on the truck before I bought it? I don't have any idea. I've told him that I need to make sure it's ok and let him know about all the issues these trucks have. He really just wants it for a deer hunting off road a little truck. Just like me. That's why I've kept it so long after buying an lr3. I assure u that I would let him know. I think I'm gonna warm it up and try to bleed it again before adding the kw just so see. I still for the life of me can't figure out how these trucks blow hg one direction. It just doesn't make sense. My truck would hold pressure in the overflow tank for days before I replaced everything. I mean big pressure. The oil has never milkshaked even with a supposed hg issue. I just find it hard to believe it will seal up and not put coolant in the cylinder after shutting it off. Blows my mind.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Running straight water thinking that it still may need the kw after replacing all the parts. Trust me I don't wanna do it but let's face it spending 12-1400 on a truck worth about 3500. My truck is old its a 2000 and not any special edition. I for sure have zero interest in doing it myself considering I've seen trained dealerships replace hg and had to do it twice.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sounds like you bought into a "problem" truck, threw some parts at it and are now going to stick a band-aid on it and get rid of it. Not even worth an "older" bassboat.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

No I've driven it for 3 yrs. had this overheating issue from time to time. Runs great other than the overheating issues that pop up every once in a while. Just not worth throwing a bunch of money at it. I have no idea what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.