Oxygen sensor replacement? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Life is Good. Life with a Rover is Better.

Gallery: 0
Default Oxygen sensor replacement?

Is replacing the sensors an easy job or is it something I should take to a mechanic to do? If i can do it, where should I start?
LeninG. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

its easy enough...youll get dirty..but its not that bad... For the sensors that are pre cat they are easier to unplug if you go through the engine bay but then unscrew them from underneath the car... the post cat ones are super easy to get to and replace. I did it in 30 minutes in the dark so its not bad at all. you can get the sensors at your local autoparts store..i think they are BOSCH. they get pricey if you are going to do all of them so make sure you know which ones are actually broken as to save money.
2004 Discovery II, Rebuilt Front Driveshaft, Maglites, STI wires, Bosch Plugs, DBA Rotors, Terrafirma 3in. Lift, Random linkages and rods, custom sliders, custom front bumper, 33 in. BFG KM2's, Safari Snorkel, converted to old style glass headlights, tool kit, etc...
Belafontainw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unplugging those front sensors really suck, I think it is easier to remove the engine than unplug those suckers.
Bosbefok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Why are you replacing them, do you have fault codes, are you replacing all 4, how many miles on your truck?

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Some helpful hints: 1. Don't go half-assed on the sensors. Pay a little more and get OEM from AB for instance. D2's are sensitive to cheapies. 2. If you replace one, make sure you replace it's opposite. If you can swing it, replace all four. 3. To get the old ones out, soak them in penetrant the night before, cut the wire and get a box end on them to avoid stripping the nut. 4. There is a trick to the plug. If you just pull on it, it will not come unplugged. The entire plug assembly (both sides connected) is attached to the vehicle via small metal tabs. You must first remove the connected plugs from this metal tab and then the connectors will come apart.
- Bill
helievacpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

What's the reason for wanting to replace the O2 sensors?
Keanan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was told that the rear ones are bad by a mechanic, but I wanted to replace them myself. And My Disco has 125,000 miles, thanx for the advice helievacpilot. Do you suggest anything else Disco Mike?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default where do i find the rear sensors???

where are the rear sensors exactly???
Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeninG. View Post
where are the rear sensors exactly???
They're located after the CAT's on top of the pipes.
- Bill
helievacpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
'03 Disco SE

Just did this myself. Go to Autozone/Advance to get the codes read to make sure you are doing the right thing (if you don't have a code reader yourself). If your rear sensors are shot then you'll get codes saying there are faults with 'bank 1 sensor 2' and 'bank 2 sensor 2'. You didn't mention if you had a SES light lit.

Replacement is SUPER easy - even for beginners. The truck sits nice and high so you don't even need jacks or anything. Follow the exhaust headers as they leave both cylinder banks, the headers will then converge into 1 pipe and then feed into catalytic converters (look like small mufflers), directly after the catalytic converter you'll notice 2 sensors on TOP of the exhaust pipes (1 in each). Follow the wires coming off of the top of the sensors and they'll lead you to the plugs somewhere above the exhaust pipes and frame rails. CAREFULLY unclip the plugs - do NOT force it, you risk messing up the wiring if pins come loose from the plugs, it should come out easily. Then simply take a wrench and carefully remove and replace the sensors. Even the most inexperienced mechanic shouldn't take more than 1 hour to do this. I finished in about 15 minutes per side.

OEM is BOSCH and please for your sake do use them. Someone had replaced my pass. rear sensor with some cheapie piece of crap which was probably dead from the very start.

Let us know if you need more help.
Bosnian Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Thanks for all the support!

Im not getting any SES lights on but an independent landrover mechanic told me that the rear ones are out so i figured I replace them myself. Thanks for all your support guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.