Passanger seat motor does not work - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 3
Default Passanger seat motor does not work

Do I need to remove the seat to replace the motor? The motor that will not work is the front to back motor. Also, the heated seat light illuminates on both the drivers and passangers side. I have one replacement pad that works that I wanted to test but for the life of me I can't find the connection on the seats. THanks

SH
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Gallery: 0

How do you know the motor is bad, usually the switch fails, have you tested for power to the motor?

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
How do you know the motor is bad, usually the switch fails, have you tested for power to the motor?
I haven't really tested it, but the reason I think this is when I push the switch forward the seat acts like it wants to go forward, motor clicks for a second. I think the signal is getting there, but I can't confirm 100%.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderhole View Post
I haven't really tested it, but the reason I think this is when I push the switch forward the seat acts like it wants to go forward, motor clicks for a second. I think the signal is getting there, but I can't confirm 100%.
I have the exact same problem...feel it click but no movement......subscribed!
bcsellie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

My passenger seat does the same thing. It moves every way except back and forth. Is is the switch? The dealership I bought it from (BVLR) told me the passenger seat is not supposed to go back and forth.
EzRyda420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

The passenger seat on my 03 blows the fuse that controls the forward/backward movement. I bought a pack of fuses at the local auto zone for an easy fix. I've only had to replace three of them over the course of a year and a half.
jrockett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzRyda420 View Post
The dealership I bought it from (BVLR) told me the passenger seat is not supposed to go back and forth.
that's bull. the seats go all directions, except left and right of course

Bill H.

The Rave on pdf's. http://macassemble.com/lrm/
hafaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Do I need to remove the seat to replace the motor? The motor that will not work is the front to back motor. Also, the heated seat light illuminates on both the drivers and passangers side. I have one replacement pad that works that I wanted to test but for the life of me I can't find the connection on the seats. THanks

SH
looking at Rave (hard to decipher) but it looks like there should be two different wire looms that run from the bottom of the seat, up to the seat back. these wire looms look to be located inboard (console side) of the seat at the rear.

i looked at mine, and all though i have the heater buttons. it looks like i do not have the elements in there, which would explain why they don't work.... but, i wouldn't use them any way. already got a hot ass............ just kidding........

to find this, tilt the seat, front down and rear up.

USER DISCRETION ADVISED

you said that you have a spare element? try matching up the connectors and see what happens..

good luck

Bill H.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have checked all the fuses under the seat and elsewhere. They all appear to be a-ok unless I'm missing something. I am still curious, say it is the motor after I test the switch... do I have to pull the seat out to replace it?

I will move the seat forward to check for the heating elements. The switch lights so I guess powers getting to it, but if its supplying power to an element I don't know. I bet I'll be pulling the center console again.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry to bump this, but I am really curious, do I have to pull the whole seat if the motor is the issue?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Gallery: 1

Quote:
Sorry to bump this, but I am really curious, do I have to pull the whole seat if the motor is the issue?
did you ever figure this out? just curious, because because my passenger seat in my '00 DII goes every which way except fwd and back. however, i dont get any noise or click when i engage the switch. checked all the fuses and they are good. i was hoping you may have gotten it figured out so i knew what kind of job i was getting into.
resqguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Gallery: 1

Same problem happened to me a few months ago. I unplugged the relay and fuses from under the seat and then back in again... and all was well.
If thats not the case, definitely see if the switch is getting power, and if the motor is getting power to narrow it down.

2001 Discovery II - 3" Rovertym/OME lift, 2 KC's, 4 IPF's, modified custom front & rear bumpers, ARB diff-guards, skids.
OBauer809 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBauer809 View Post
Same problem happened to me a few months ago. I unplugged the relay and fuses from under the seat and then back in again... and all was well.
If thats not the case, definitely see if the switch is getting power, and if the motor is getting power to narrow it down.
Sorry, I took on some other things in the meantime. I still haven't determined if the seat would have to come out to replace the motor. I plan on takling this next.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

yes, you gotta remove the seat.

Bill H.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafaday View Post
yes, you gotta remove the seat.
Land rover must have gotten a real good deal on the actuators for these vehichles. So far, I've had fail, or replaced these motors: heather/ac blower, rear door lock, front sun roof, wipers, passanger seat.
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.