Passenger window not rolling up - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Passenger window not rolling up

Hi everyone,

About a month ago when I rolled down my passenger window, it wouldn't roll back up. I can hear the motor working when I depress the window button. I bravely took the door panel off and try to see if there's any defect but couldn't really see anything wrong. From what I gather from my searches on Google, it's the regulator that's shot. My question is, is there any way to roll up the window manually?

I took the screws at the bottom of the bracket and lifted the window all the way up but it would not stay there.

Thanks in advance.
Henry5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

The plastic bushings is probably broken in your window regulator. You can either get another regulator or somehow replace the broken bushing. There is no manual way to raise the window.
Bosbefok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

You will need to prop the window up with a dowel or similar piece of wooden stick. Remove the door panel and insert stick under window for support. You can get a used window regulator and save a few $$$$$. These guys have done a great job getting me parts. Give them a try before paying hundreds for a new one.

Just Opened a Ebay Store, I need Feedback. Parts for $1
Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Check widow motor also

My drivers side widow did same thing. Thought it was regulator also, it was motor instead. I replaced both items with used, have worked fine since. I was able to manually pull window in place and secure with a wood piece until parts were bought.
tnelsonfla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Indeed, probably the motor if it doesn't move. If it moves, but with problems, it's probably the little white plastic wheel on the regulator, they break easily, or get a flat spot for some reason... Used motors are the way to go. Open it up (remove door panel) and inspect for damage, binding or no response at all..
Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Holding your window up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry5 View Post
Hi everyone,

About a month ago when I rolled down my passenger window, it wouldn't roll back up. I can hear the motor working when I depress the window button. I bravely took the door panel off and try to see if there's any defect but couldn't really see anything wrong. From what I gather from my searches on Google, it's the regulator that's shot. My question is, is there any way to roll up the window manually?

I took the screws at the bottom of the bracket and lifted the window all the way up but it would not stay there.

Thanks in advance.
Found this discussion while searching for probable causes of the same issue in my DII (motor works, window won't move). In my case, I was able to slide the window up manually by getting it started via light leverage on the linkage bars at the bottom of the window (used fingers - never tools!) until the window popped up far enough to pinch the glass and raise the rest of the way along the track. Once all the way up, I held in place with clear packing tape run along the four edges of the window glass as it touches the door panel and window frame. That was in June of this year - I'm finally getting around to fixing it, and the tape has held perfectly.

Loving this forum, everyone! As a former mechanic (in the 80's) who loves his Rover, I'm constantly perusing this forum in a voyeuristic fashion to find out the best way to approach the various aches and pains that show up with my DII. Thanks for making this well worth every minute spent.
rugbydoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for responding.

I think my motor is still good b/c I can hear it working when I press the window button. Yes I will definitely buy a used regulator as I called my local Landrover dealer and they wanted $230 for one.

As for propping the window up with a wooden stick, I'm just afraid that if I go over a bump, the stick would shift and I have a bigger problem.

Any tips on replacing the regulator? I opened the door panel and lifted the window all the way to the top, unscrew all the bolts, but then how do you take the motor/regular out?

Thanks again for all the advice.
Henry5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

my passenger side front window regulator finally went bad yesterday. it went down, but wouldnt go back up. it was making funny noises for some time, but didnt think anything of it. i took it all apart, and found the cap on the gearbox attached to the motor(regulator?) was popped off, and the black rubber gear/bushing was broken.

the black bushing/gear is molded to a steel shaft with the gear on it, well the bushing seperated/tore off the shaft, so there was still plenty of rubber attached to the steel shaft.

i have CA Glue for my rc cars tires. its made to bond plastic to rubber, or rubber to rubber, and it VERY strong, and bonds instantly. the rubber will literally rip apart in a different spot before it will come apart where it was glued, it pretty much bonds the two rubber pieces as one piece. you can get it at any RC hobby shop.

so i cleaned the two pieces of rubber real well with rubbing alcohol to get the gearbox grease off, and glued them together, held in place for about 15 seconds, and its fixed, not coming apart again. very strong. possibly temporary fix, but im sure it will last to be a permanent fix, i dont see it coming apart again.
RAYMAN985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

how do you get inside the door panel ?
lenny jewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had the exact same wheel fail on my truck 3 years ago. I removed all the plastic from the bushing, as it had cracked in half and the bushing was lodging in the open gap in the slider track.

I had a A/C contractor who was on the job site where It happed, cut me a piece of flat steel that I placed inside the slider track to prevent the bearing from catching. I can't remember how long the steel piece was, but it basically filled the entire track.

the window now functioned fine, at the top it seals fine. once it starts going down it rotates 1/4" or so (basically the difference in geometry due to the smaller diameter bushing) but has not been a problem in any other way since.

No need to pull the entire mechanism apart - which was my immediate issue at the time and the repair has held up fine - I use the window everyday.

I was planning on replacing it entirely, but I'll do that if it fails in the future.

Steve
sesproul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.