Persistent misfire after layup - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Persistent misfire after layup

2002 4.0 litre Disco 2, cats and SAI.
Low speed misfire, codes indicate multiple cylinders but 4 and 7 seem to be prevalent.

I would like to seek some opinions on my next move to resolve the problem.

Some background which may assist. Vehicle unexpectedly laid up for an extended period (2+ years) in rural Thailand. Apparently one of the relatives put a battery on it and tried to start it without success after failing to check all was OK. A lot of rodent damage to wiring beneath engine compartment fuse box and odd damage elsewhere now repaired. Coils changed, MAF substituted for a known good one, plugs and leads were renewed by the stealer shortly before the layup (factory items). Injectors replaced with new whilst changing the coils as I had a spare set available. (Also SLS compressor repaired – see my other post for details which may help someone else.)
Vehicle now up and running and able to move it to civilisation. Ran OK at around 2500rpm for the 600km journey but misfire on tickover seems to be getting worse. Fuel consumption fairly normal but occasionally short on acceleration.
Have ordered some Bosch 4 electrode plugs for a start but wondering whether to replace the recently renewed factory leads too. Thinking that I will have a compression test done whilst replacing the plugs.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Current codes logged:

THE MOTRONIC FAULT CODE MEMORY CONTAINS CODES FOR THE FOLLOWING CURRENT FAULTS -:

P1300 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE MULTIPLE CYLINDERS DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 237 TIMES
(
(SIGNAL TOO HIGH, THE FAULT IS CURRENTLY PRESENT, THIS FAULT CAUSES MIL LAMP ACTIVATION, THE FAULT HAS BEEN DETERMINED AS INTERMITTENT).

P0304 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE CYL 4 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 237 TIMES
(
(SIGNAL TOO HIGH, THE FAULT IS CURRENTLY PRESENT, THIS FAULT CAUSES MIL LAMP ACTIVATION, THE FAULT HAS BEEN DETERMINED AS INTERMITTENT).

P0302 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE CYL 2 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 152 TIMES
(

P0300 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE MULTIPLE CYLINDERS DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE
(SIGNAL TOO HIGH, THE FAULT IS CURRENTLY PRESENT, THIS FAULT CAUSES MIL LAMP ACTIVATION, THE FAULT HAS BEEN DETERMINED AS PERSISTENTLY PRESENT).

P1000 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE CYLINDER 4 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE
(SIGNAL TOO HIGH, THE FAULT IS CURRENTLY PRESENT, THIS FAULT CAUSES MIL LAMP ACTIVATION, THE FAULT HAS BEEN DETERMINED AS PERSISTENTLY PRESENT).

P1000 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE CYLINDER 2 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE

P0307 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE CYLINDER 7 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE

P1000 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE CYL 7 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 194 TIMES
(

Last edited by Expatdavid; 08-26-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Add information
Expatdavid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Don't know where you are located but if I can call you I may be able to walk you thru some on this stuff.
In the mean time, go get all your codes cleared and see what comes back.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mike, thanks. I'm in Bangkok where nowadays parts seem to be getting very expensive so waiting for the plugs and a new set of leads from the UK. Thanks too for the offer of a chat.

Maybe the best way to do that would be for me to call you on Skype if you have a username? We are 6 hours ahead of GMT here which I guess means around 13 hours ahead of you. I cleared all the codes before my trip to Bangkok but will clear them again in the morning and go for a short drive to see what comes up again.

I will post them tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mike,

Here are the "new" fault codes after a run of maybe 20km including slow traffic and motorway running around 2500rpm with the occasional kickdown to maybe 3500 rpm:

THE MOTRONIC FAULT CODE MEMORY CONTAINS CODES FOR THE FOLLOWING CURRENT FAULTS -:

P1300 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE MULTIPLE CYLINDERS DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 7 TIMES
(

P0304 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE CYL 4 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 7 TIMES
(

P1000 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE CYL 7 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 7 TIMES
(

P0302 = CATALYST DAMAGING MISFIRE CYL 2 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED 5 TIMES
(

P0300 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE MULTIPLE CYLINDERS DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE
(SIGNAL TOO HIGH, THE FAULT IS CURRENTLY PRESENT, THIS FAULT DOES NOT GIVE MIL LAMP ACTIVATION, THE FAULT HAS BEEN DETERMINED AS PERSISTENTLY PRESENT).

P1000 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE CYLINDER 4 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE
(SIGNAL TOO HIGH, THE FAULT IS CURRENTLY PRESENT, THIS FAULT DOES NOT GIVE MIL LAMP ACTIVATION, THE FAULT HAS BEEN DETERMINED AS PERSISTENTLY PRESENT).

P0307 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE CYLINDER 7 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE

P1000 = EMISSION RELEVANT MISFIRE CYLINDER 2 DRIVE CYCLE C, WHICH HAS OCCURED ONCE

Given that cylinder 2 has now added itself to the initial culprits and the fact that the vehicle was laid up in hot and humid conditions I am inclined to suspect degradation of the plug lead insulation. Would you agree?

I have some on order with plugs from the UK, which is unfortunately closed today for a bank holiday. However I hope to have them in a week or so.

Once again thanks for your input.

Last edited by Expatdavid; 08-29-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.