Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II

It's an 02 Disco; could not figure out how to change the header.

Guys - the Rave CD instructions are lousy. I needed to replace a lamp in the instrument cluster and found the Rave CD extra bad. Here is how to do it with pictures. Should take less than one hour if you follow this:

Picture #1 - using regular screwdriver open up the fascia access panel below the steering wheel. This is after I removed the nacelle but it gets the point across.

Pictures #2, 3, & 4 - use a Phillips to remove three screws from the nacelle; one is at the back and is hard to see. Then stand on your head in the driver's footwell to see the clips. There are a total of 4. Use a regular screwdriver to push each tab back and undo the clips. The nacelle will come apart and reveal two screws in the instrument panel. Rave CD does not give you this info; merely says remove the clips but does not say how or where. And it gets worse with the lack of clip info.

Picture #5 - sounds easy to remove the two Phillips head screws from the bottom of the instrument cluster cowl but without a flex screwdriver it would be quite hard. Peer through the steering wheel at the screwdriver and one screw.

Picture #6 - So now the nacelle is out and the cowl should just pull off; right? Wrong. Rave CD merely says remove the clips. What clips?

Picture #7, 8, and 9 - The cowl will lift up some. After about an hour and a franctic request for help from the forum, I guessed that the clips might be inside, way in the back. Sure enough - pry the cowl up one one side until it feels like it is going to break and you will see the clip way in the back. There are two clips. Lift only one side of the cowl at a time; there is not enough give to expose both clips at the same time. Take a long screwdriver and push the metal sticking through the clip; push it forward and the clip comes undone. Then do the same to the other. Voila - clips are undone and the cowl comes right off. You can see both clips undone in Picture #9.

Pictures #10 and 11 - remove the multiplugs carefully from the cowl but take a picture first to see where they go when replacing. Passenger side is black, green, then white. Driver side is green and then blue; make sure you put them in the top and second fitting or things will not work again. All pictures after #10 are in the next post.

Picture #12 and 13 - Use Phillips and remove four screws holding the cluster. Remove the medium and the large multiplug. I was not able to remove the other very small two wire plug so I just left it in and was careful with it.

Picture #14, 15, and 16. Unhook the last set of clips on the instrument cluster; they are fairly clear plastic. This will provide access to the circuit board and the lamps. I had to slice through two paper labels with warned of the dangerous static potential. My replacement lamp was for the mileage counter. It unscrewed counterclockwise and came out. Just match the metal tabs on the new lamp with the two slots, put it in all the way and turn clockwise. Fold the fairly clear plastic cover back down and you will need to snap the tabs down, one by one, until they all lock.

Picture #17 just shows the area after the instrument cluster is removed.

As the Rave CD says, reinstallation is just the reverse of the procedure above.

Hope this helps. Took me about six hours to do this simple one hour job.

Next post has pictures 11 through 17.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0278.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0279.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0282.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0283.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0284.jpg  

Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0285.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0288.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0290.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0292.jpg   Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-dscf0293.jpg  

tyl604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default where are the pictures?

Thanks for the information.
Where I can find the pictures?
BR,
Amit
amit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

where are the pictures????
harv870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
certified idiot

x2 - great info need the pics

the best view is always from the point of no return and you only ever have too much fuel when you are on fire.
http://www.mercdjetmegasquirt.britautorepair.com/
gurunutkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Just A Kid Posing As A Middle Aged Man...

Gallery: 12

I think we lost some of our pics on the server when we had our little "revolution" on the site back around the holidays....pretty sure they are gone. Doing this job is really super simple though. I have had mine apart a few times. Most recently I swapped my 04 cluster for an 99-02 cluster. I like the looks of it better. Just remove all the visable screws and the cover will be loose. Then wiggle and push it toward the windshield. This will detach it from the two brackets at the back toward the windshield. Then there are the four screw he mentioned holding the cluster in. When you look at the back, it will be easy to see there are three main larger bulb holders that you twist to remove to replace bulbs. If you are doing this, you might consider using LED replacement bulbs so you never have to replace them again. PS: If anyone needs a new used cluster, I have the one from 2004 in great shape. Odometer reads around 75K or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial - instrument cluster removal '99 Disco II-bkgcnhqb2k-kgrhquh-euet-3ub8t1blwj3rfffg-_12.jpg  

spiderfreak80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.