purge valve replacement? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. t

Gallery: 0
Default purge valve replacement?

for starters i'm very new to fixing my own discovery II (181k.) i've purchased a shop manual and do consider myself to be very mechanical.
i haul ass every morning on my way to work. in the past month my SES light has showed up twice on the same hill/curve. it eventually would go off after a day or two.
last week it happened again, same curve/hill, but this time it stayed on. then yesterday it flashed a few times like a new code or problem emerged. i haven't noticed any odd changes in performance at high speed or idle. i made the trip to autozone for the codes.

here they are, and i've interpreted them as read in my disc II work shop manual

p1590 abs rough road signal circuit malfunction. possibly due to my fast driving on that aforementioned hill/curve.

p0305 cylinder # 5 misfire. (i did check plug it looked comparable to the others, no gas smell etc..)

p0455 evaporative emission system leak( i looked at the lines on the evaporative emission system, at least the ones i could see. gas cap looked fine.)

p0440 purge valve not sealing ( this may sound stupid, but i took it out and couldn't blow through it from either side.)

p03000 excess emissions detected on more than one cylinder.

what i think is happening: my purge valve is bad (not sealing or stuck open) hence the code (p0440.) this in turn is my large evap emissions leak (p0455) and my excess emissions on more than one cylinder (p0300) and possibly my cylinder misfire (p0305)
i'm thinking that i should order a purge valve (charcoal style) and a gas cap just for sh**ts and giggles. just wanted to know what you guys thought about that, and if there were any other avenues i should explore before wasting my money. thanks.

i didn't address the (p1590, abs rough road signal circuit malfunction) code at all. i'm wondering if there is any correlation between the three amigo lights (TC, HDC, ABS) that have been on for almost a year now.
my mechanic at rover automotive, in durham nc, replaced my ABS shuttle valve and my front right ABS sensor, but the lights magically came back on right when i picked the car up, haha.

i've pulled so much useful info from this site. i really appreciate what you guys are doing. i'll definitely post my results once the repairs are finalized. thanks again.
MR.T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. t

sorry forgot to mention it is a 99 disc II
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do a search on this site for purge valve, you should end up with a Hyundai part # that is stupid cheap.
Tim the Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. t

thanks man, i checked the hyundai part and found it for 50 bucks at a dealer 5 minutes away. that's compared to atlantic british's $100.
i suppose i was also looking for some shoring on my diagnoses. like i said i'm new at this and i'd hate to waste the money on a purge valve i didn't need.
i actually just got off the phone with my rover mechanic and he said the grouping of codes (p0455, p0441, p0300) are almost always a leaky gas cap. he said the purge valves rarely go bad.
i suppose i may go for a gas cap. any thoughts?
i'll definitely let you guys know of my results.

i also may go ahead and replace plugs and wires. it's a little past 50k on my current set. hopefully that will address the p0305 code. (misfire cylinder #5)
Old 06-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Someone else had luck with oiling the gas cap threads a bit and it sealed better, give that a shot.
Bosbefok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. t

thanks man i'll try that.
i disconnected the ground on my battery last saturday, (the day i entered this thread.) i'm assuming this gets rid of the SES light but doesn't clear the codes. the light hasn't come back on and it definitely seems like my car is running way better.
i originally posted that i didn't notice it running funny before, but now that i've checked my cap and haven't had a return SES it seems to be doing great. i even took it down that hill/curve mentioned in my first post. i'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. t

so i forgot to update this with my fix. it turns out the the next day my ses light did come back.
first thing i did was go get a obd II scan tool. 39$, just so happened they were on sale at advance. i checked the codes again and the same aforementioned codes were there plus an o2 sensor code. the o2 code was from the same bank as my cylinder misfire code and pre catalytic. i'm assuming that whatever mixture that was causing my cylinder misfire was starting to foul out one of my new o2 sensors, so i knew i had to act fast.

next i purchased the purge valve (50$ hyundai dealer. part #28910-22040 for a 98-05 sonata) and the gas cap 8$ and installed them both. the hyundai purge valve fit perfectly, but i think next time i'll go with the oem gas cap. now i don't have the leash on my cap anymore, so i'll probably be loosing that soon enough.

it's been 2 months now with no ses lights. i replaced both the gas cap and purge valve at the same time, so sorry i dont' have an exact conclusion, but my guess would be that my purge valve was the culprit. if my purge valve was in fact stuck open, that would explain all of my other codes addressed in the first post. basically i had exhaust fumes dumping into my intake.

the one thing i learned from this was the importance of having your own OBDII scan tool. it saves you a lot of headache (running back and forth to autozone) and it's super convenient during a diagnostic process. i got the cheapest one i could find and it reads and clears code all the same.

thanks to all that chimed in.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Gallery: 8

This is a very good write up, thanks MR.T
Coldwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Replacing the purge valve

Hi,
I have no clue when it comes to cars and am getting the P0440 code which will not let me pass inspections. I found posts about the purge valve and even a picture, but can you give me more info on how to actually change the valve? The SES light is on now and I havent disconnected the battery.. if I disconnect it and the light goes off, will the code still show up during an inspection? I have a 2002 Discovery II. Please call or email me if you can help. Thanks! Steve - 413-313-2211, mrtennis27@hotmail.com.
mrtennis27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

The short answer is no.
Check this post Hyundai purge valve fixes P0440 code - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum
Bosbefok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mr. t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtennis27 View Post
Hi,
I have no clue when it comes to cars and am getting the P0440 code which will not let me pass inspections. I found posts about the purge valve and even a picture, but can you give me more info on how to actually change the valve? The SES light is on now and I havent disconnected the battery.. if I disconnect it and the light goes off, will the code still show up during an inspection? I have a 2002 Discovery II. Please call or email me if you can help. Thanks! Steve - 413-313-2211, mrtennis27@hotmail.com.

dude, download the rave manual, buy a cheap obd II scangauge (yes it will read AND CLEAR CODES) and take some initiative and fix your car. if your purge valve is stuck open in a short time you'll be throwing more codes and fowling out you plugs and O2 sensors. i promise, it's a really easy job, and this is coming from a novice.

parts and scan gauge shouldn't run you over 100$, if you go with the hyundai part. get some hose clamps too, just in case you break the stock rover clamps.
\;/ complete rhino coat interior/MP3 converter(removed 6 disc)/Scan gauge II/2" RTE lift/terrafirma +2 shocks/terrafirma damper/RTE tie rod and drag link/tom woods front drive shaft/97 DI CDL/ K&N filter/RTE wide face front bumper/ SD roof rack and rear ladder/goodyear duratrac's 285/75/R16's/Brembo rear rotors and Will Tillery super secret brand front rotors/ Akebono Euro's all the way around/extended stainless brake lines/saudi spec grille/DI wipers/option "B" amigo free/ And Getting Badder Asser as the days go by\;/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.