The complete rebuild of our steering box is a complete success! Here's a little debrief for the next guy who attempts this...
All the parts in the kit I ordered from Motorcars Ltd
were of good quality, and everything was in there, nothing missing.
To me, the teflon rings were the most scary parts of the rebuild, because they don't stretch easily and once stretched, they stay stretched and kind of deformed for a long time. My friend who does this all the time was not worried and the trick is to carefully put several layers of electrical tape over the teflon rings once they are in place in their grooves, and let them be overnight. This compresses them and helps to get back into their original shape. The first layer of tape must be applied really carefully, and each subsequent layer is applied tighter that the previous one so even pressure is applied on the ring. Then, before inserting the input shaft in the body of the steering box, I put it outside at minus 20 so the rings reduced in diameter even more.
Because the box was not malfunctioning but only leaking, I took great care not to contaminate the body valve inside the input shaft and also the roller on the output shaft. Once they were out of the body, I carefully inspected them for contamination, then wrapped the more vulnerable parts in cling wrap for the duration, then I cleaned and polished the ends where the seals go.
The instructions for removing the steering box in the Rave manual are ok, but once it's on your workbench, you are on your own. I did not have any problems disassembling the steering box all by myself, and I think I would have been able to put it back together, probably... But having somebody who knew what he was doing with me was a lot more fun, though.
I am fairly good with a wrench, I replaced engines and trannies in a few cars over the years, but rebuilding a steering box was a big step for me. I learned a lot and thankfully, it ended well.