Tyre Pressure - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Tyre Pressure

Hi,

I have just had a set of four new tyres on my Discovery 2 year 2000. These are the General Grabber AT2 (255/55 R18) tyres.

Please advise what the tyre pressure should be for the front and back when used on road/moterway?

Thanks.
gsgtsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgtsg View Post
Hi,

I have just had a set of four new tyres on my Discovery 2 year 2000. These are the General Grabber AT2 (255/55 R18) tyres.

Please advise what the tyre pressure should be for the front and back when used on road/moterway?

Thanks.
Check the manufacturing sticker located on the driver's door... it is your best baseline advice... then adjust according to what activities you are involved in...

Jonathan
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

And add 5#'s to it so they last awhile.
Mike
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do as Mike suggested, you may also like the ride, especially the front, with the higher tire pressure.
Rover Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
And add 5#'s to it so they last awhile.
Mike
They spend millions of dollars designing a tyre to run at a certain pressure and then the advise from this forum is to ignore them.

Higher pressure can shorten the life of the tyre. It also affects the grip and handling that you need the tyre to do for you to be safe on the road.
p76rangie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

That said Ian, the recommendation for D2 is to have 28psi at the front and 38 at the back. You couldnt always follow the recommended tyre makers pressures...

Angus
mcguckiana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

p76rangie, I can't disagree with your observation, but I personally think the front of the truck rides a bit smoother with the extra air...not to mention, considering the weight of these trucks adding a few psi shouldn't create a safety issue especially when LR recommends tyre pressure at roughly half the trye pressure most tyres can hold, which, as Mike typically suggests, increase the air pressure and reduce the wear of the tyre and increase mpg (though slightly).

Plus, if the car/truck mfgs were so perfect in designing and building vehicles, Why are there ever recalls, not just because of the build, but design flaws as well??

I personally keep the rear at spec and run the front @ 35psi, then I like the way it .

Old 08-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ian Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Kid View Post
p76rangie, I can't disagree with your observation, but I personally think the front of the truck rides a bit smoother with the extra air...not to mention, considering the weight of these trucks adding a few psi shouldn't create a safety issue especially when LR recommends tyre pressure at roughly half the trye pressure most tyres can hold, which, as Mike typically suggests, increase the air pressure and reduce the wear of the tyre and increase mpg (though slightly).

Plus, if the car/truck mfgs were so perfect in designing and building vehicles, Why are there ever recalls, not just because of the build, but design flaws as well??

I personally keep the rear at spec and run the front @ 35psi, then I like the way it .

The tyre pressures listed by Landrover are only for the tyres that came with the vehicle. Pressures vary between makes and models of tyres.

Particularly as you go wider in tyres, increasing the pressures will wear out the centre of the tyre first. Also the tyre will not sit on the road as it was designed.

As stated in a similar thread, the ONLY way to set tyre pressures properly is by using the Static Load Radius set by the TYRE manufacturer.
p76rangie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stupid > Ignorant

Here is another way to do it.

Chalk test.. It tells you at what pressure you get the best foot print from the tires.

Start..

Getting there...

JFYI
DailyDrivenTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

That chalk test sounds worth trying, it confirms what p76rangie said about using the tyre mfg specs but you'll be doing it in real time and you should get the most out of the tyres because you're using the exact weight of vehicle, not estimates. Now I just need some chalk!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ View Post
Here is another way to do it.

Chalk test.. It tells you at what pressure you get the best foot print from the tires.

Start..

Getting there...

JFYI
Gees...someone needs some kill rust...
mcguckiana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Gallery: 31

I would have thought there are too many variables here to put an exact number on it.

Given that some people have a lot more weight up front (steel bumper, winch etc) or a sh!t load of gear in the back, which will influence the handling and the pressures should be altered accordingly perhaps.

I run all of mine at 37 cold and 40 hot.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Tire inflation pressure depends entirely, for the most part anyway, on the weight each tire is carrying. You can't go by vehicle mfg spec unless you are using the OEM tires, which I'm guessing most of us don't, once it comes time to get new tires.
The only tire mfg spec I've seen on tires is max pressure, which generally is for when the tire has the mas load on it. I've never seen a weight chart from a tire mfg that says for 'y' weight use 'x' pressure. But to use such a chart, if you had one, would require you to weight each corner. Chalk is easier.
The only reliable way to know you have the correct pressure is the footprint test as shown here, and as I mentioned in another similar thread the other day.
Under-inflation and over-inflation are both safety hazards.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Stupid > Ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguckiana View Post
Gees...someone needs some kill rust...
Not my Jeep.
DailyDrivenTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

35 to 40lb front
40 to 45lb rear
depending on how much you have in the back an whether your running at motorway speeds or not. From what you've said I go with 40 front and 45 rear.
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.