Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Water pump replacement

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  anbran 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Disco. I am trying to get the fan clutch off of the water pump.
I am not having any luck. The shaft on the old pump is shot and all wobbly...
and impossible to hold still while I get at the big 36mm nut....

Is it possible to get the water pump off with the fan/clutch still attached??
I'm not sure there is the clearance to bring it out and up with the rad there....

I'm thinking of even removing the rad and trying that....though I am concerned about the access to the water pump bolts....while the fan is attached...

Help?

#2 ·
The easiest way is to use an air hammer with a chisel bit and use it on the nut, forcing it left to break it loose. It should come right off after a few "taps". If you don't have air, I've used a plumber's "strap wrench" wrapped around the pulley to hold back on it.

#3 ·
There is a proper tool to remove the fan clutch, and another one to hold the pulley by the pulley bolts.
Do you have any local parts suppliers that offer tool a tool loan?

#4 ·
Can't get the fan off....Even tried a chain-wrench on the pulley. Can't get the 10mm bolts undone on the pulley to do anything with them.

Water pump bearings are shot, so the pulley wobbles all over the place...

I've been at it for several hours over two days....

Has anyone ever removed a water pump with the fan still attached? Rad removal?

#5 ·
...I'm assuming it will be next to impossible to get at all the bolts on the water pump with the fan and pulley still attached?!

The other thought, is removing the alternator and AC compressor and bringing the water pump et al, up and out...
(That is, of course, if I can get at all the bolts on the water pump...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.