Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

will driving around with front drive shaft off hurt anything?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  corrosiond 
#1 ·
will it hurt anything to drive without the front drive shaft?

I bought the truck about a month ago. just before then the previous owner said he had the ujoints at the front of the shaft replaced.

the vibration that he tried to fix is still there so i figured i would replace the u joints in the double cardon (transfer case end)

i look under and it looks like the double cardon has brand new ujoints (oem style)

and at the other end it looks like they have been on for years but they have grease nipples so I don't know what to think of that.

the place i took it to said to take the drive shaft off and drive around and see if the vibration goes away before spending money on anything. but they aren't familiar with land rovers so I wanted to get some opinions before I do anything.

thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If your transfer case does not have a locking central differential, the truck won't move without the front driveshaft.

Your '99 may or may not

No, it will not damage anything to drive without your front driveshaft while yours is being rebuilt. My wife drove hers for several months without a front driveshaft.

#3 ·
All 99's D2's have the locking CDL t/case and yes you can drive on the rear shaft, as long as the roto-flex is not cracked and you stay away from full throttle start ups.
Make sure you replace the centering ball along with the necessary u-joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.