Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

07 HSE Dash lights / or does not light

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  CT090 
#1 ·
did a quick search but came up empty
2007 LR3 HSE

turn the ignition on and truck starts, no tach no temp not gas readings, center info block is not lit
while moving no speedo reading either

dash will light up and go back out a few times and when finally lit up sometimes gas shows empty tank with a range of zero

one key item is the odometer when it finally lights up shows it is reading correct distance covered via trip odometer even with no power to the dash

info block will be dark and finally brighten up once it gets going

truck shows no CEL or other lights

radio and Nav fully functional

on last item that has started since this is the Hood open is showing on the info screen and no clearing out with a manly closing of the hood

what is the recommended OBD2 scanner, we also have a mini clubman

See less See more
#4 ·
Not sure whats going on, never had these issues in any of our 2 LR3's. Sounds like electrical. Usually that to me is always a sign of water wetting wires somewhere.
Dave

#5 ·
No expert, but I have read about water intrusion on the passenger side. it's maybe a starting point to begin searching for.

It's unlikely this is going to be one of those "replace this $15 relay" issues, although you may get lucky and find a loose wire somewhere. I'd check around for moisture and rattle some wire looms, but you'll likely need the services of a professional. Hopefully there's a knowledgeable independent import specialty shop in your area that has some solid hands-on Rover experience. This isn't something you'd want to take to your dealer.

With water intrusion, this may be something your insurance might cover. I'm not suggesting you commit a crime, but if you inadvertently left your windows down and the inside got drenched...

This is just the tip of the iceberg of a looming problem with the level of technology in modern cars. It started with the high-end Euro stuff about a decade ago. It has now filtered down to just about everything on the road. As it has become less expensive, and as people want the "bells and whistles" that more upscale vehicles have, I think it's going to create a problem of enormous proportions. I think we're going to have a large number of vehicles in the ten year old range that are in good shape and have plenty of life left, but have a problem that renders then not worth repairing. That's already begun happening with some of the BMW/MBZ products with transmission issues.

#6 ·
When it comes to water intrusion on the LR3 or LR4 there are various places it can come in from (1-4 most common).
1. 2 holes in the A or B pillars. (these can be taped) and replaced with new type clips
2. Clogged Sunroof drains.
3. Corroded plastic/rubber drain corners at foot well from sunroof drain.
4. Warped Cowl over pollen filter air duct (passenger side for left side steering models)
5. A windshield that has not been sealed properly
6. Air condition drain hose popped out off place and needs to be put back.
Dave
We own 2 LR3's. I know of the common issues very well. Best reliable model from all the models I have owned and worked on.

#8 ·
Many wires run through there, main issue while wet there is the wire for the remote door to open.
CT090
which model LR do you own?
Dave

#9 ·
I have five D2's and just bought an '08RR. I've had a few in the past, including a defender that I bought new, couldn't wait to dump and now wish that I'd have just parked it.

Three of the D2's are less than road-worthy. I built one of the other D2's out of parts. I found that I could buy these trucks, sometimes in very good shape, but suffering from problems, for next to nothing. Sometime in the spring I'm going to build an all-out beach cruiser out of parts. Thinking of going with the LS motor. Now that I have the RR, that may change though. There was a guy from Croatia that did one with some really cool hand-built flares, rockers and bumpers that I might tackle duplicating.

#10 ·
Nice! I have had many rovers in the past 12 years also. Had a 1999 D2 over 5 years ago drove it till it had over 210K my ex took it and she then sold it, it was still running, I used to work on it myself. I was ready to move onto an LR3 best thing I ever did over 5 years with it now its been solid! We own 2 2005 LR3's my lady and I. D2 is a nice ridding truck, but don't miss it anymore. You should turn one of your D2's into a pick-up hybrid type that would be unique. Full size RR 2008 is a great reliable truck with a great ride. Was about to get an 09 Full size RR, but the 2nd LR3 had 70K on it with a 3 year warrantee from LR for a great price and I know them.
Good luck with the build!
Dave

#11 ·
We have a place in FL and it's a block from the beach. I wanted to build something unusual that I could drive out on the sand. I'm a fan of big tire trucks that aren't lifted. The Tonka Toy look. I don't know if I can do much like that with the Rover.

I used to have a Tahoe 2-door. Last year they built it- '96. After daily-driving it for 5 years, I decided instead of trading it in I'd turn it into a toy. Ended up buying a set of cut-out flares and using them to make molds to make even larger cut-out flares. Ended up putting 37's on it with less than 2" of lift. Problem was, it was a pig and the brakes wouldn't stop it. I ended up with all the running gear from a 2500 pickup underneath it. Alot of work and too much expense, but it was cool.

#12 ·
A few pics for inspiration.

Attachments

#13 ·
Christ, that blue one looks like it has 44's on it!

I'd have to fabricate some pneumatic steps to project down and out just to get into it.

As I have been researching, I have run across this thing- they call them Arctic trucks. Some cool stuff.

I'm very much into design and craftsmanship. I cringe when I see these guys with wheel openings done with a plasma cutter.

#14 ·
The Arctic LR builds are cool!
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.