Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

2005 LR3 - Tranmission Fault: limited gears available

26K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Friction 
#1 · (Edited)
2005 LR3 with 112k miles - out of the blue got error message and will not shift out of park - tranny was serviced with new BG synthetic at 85k. Was able to jimmy the shifter in R to drive it but it is staying in first gear. Battery is 29 months old and has been serviced. Brake lamp switch was replaced about a year ago.

One note: Day before this happened vehicle was at beach with sun roof open - downpour soaked the console and shifter area. I hung moisture removal bag overnight and it stated normally twice before the fault returned. Could the moisture be the problem? Would it make sense to reset all error codes at a shop and get the actually error code? Any ideas are appreciated.

Final Note: Vehicle was recently relocated from Connecticut to Florida (90 days ago).

Thank you!

#2 ·
Had the same problem

if you remove the eyeglass holder rubber on the right hand side of the stick and put your finger in there you can release the shift lock and drive it. I found it was the wiring under the center console. I removed it (believe there are some write ups on how to posted somewhere) and unplugged cleaned and re-seated all the plugs and have not had the fault since, also my mini fridge started working as well....which has not worked since I had the vehicle.

#3 ·
sunroof was left open i had to replace shifter assembly

I had code P081c-00 (park input circuit)in TCM mod and VDM mod. I left sunroof open had to replace gear shifter assembly. Take apart the center console. I just watched a you tube video. Then ck the plug/pins going to shifter assembly they could be corroded. The circuit board for assembly is not in a enclosed case like u would think. I got the shifter used from a auto yard and install it. The D on the selector stayed lilt red even when truck was stuck in park. First ck all fuses then scan for codes. It could just be the brake switch at the pedal that everyone talks about. Scanning for codes with a good scanner is really the only way to be sure what it wrong. Hope this helps!

#4 ·
P081c is usually the shifter/connector at the shifter, or a splice in the RH lower a-pillar.

Try turning the headlights on before turning the ignition on, to see if the transmission fault goes away. This will work if it is the power feed to the shifter, and the selected gear is not illuminated, as a secondary power source is provided by the illumination circuit.

If it works, there will be further diagnosis to rectify the problem.

#7 ·
Yes, Was there a resolution for either of you?

I have this problem. It began after a 3 month drought, then it rained and the next day my wife drove the car and noticed the sun roof was tilted open. There were no signs of water though. The following day the transmission fault issue began. It throws P0659 - Actuator supply voltage A - circuit high. and have to use the lever behind the shifter to get it out of Park. Sometimes I'm unable to get the Key to come out of the ignition. Have to disconnect the battery to get it to release.

Please help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.