2006 lr3 suspension - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default 2006 lr3 suspension

I have an 06 lr3 and when I raise the air suspension the compressor never shuts off. If I lower it, the compressor eventually shuts down and it rides at a consistent height. The problem is when I park and leave it for about a minute you can very easily see that the lr is leaning hard right. Is this a valve or something that is stuck open? I just recently picked the lr3 up after having our disco drop the engine! $5000 later I sold it and am hoping for better things with the lr3.
Wondering if any one has had a similar problem and am hoping for some tips.
Thanks for any insight.
Luke
Luke w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Never shuts off?

I suspect you mean the compressor seems to run for a long time. For the most part, never stops is not possible as normally the compressor overheats after running for an extended length of time and the thermal shutdown circuit cuts in.

My guess is that you have a leak somewhere - probably the right side air spring; (lower tends to close the hole in the rubber), less likely is that there is a leak in the air line to the air spring or within the valve body that feeds the two front air springs.

My first thought would be to try and hear the sounds of an air leak. If you do, then you have to determine from where. After that, fixing will be relatively easy. Most often, the hard part of a Land Rover is not the fixing but in figuring out what to fix.

If there are no air leaking sounds, then perhaps the problem is the front valve block.

Below is the front valve block hidden behind the right side fog light. You can get at it by removing the front right wheel plastic fender liner.
Attached Thumbnails
2006 lr3 suspension-d4-front-valve-block-20053.jpg  
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. Your right in that I suppose the compressor shuts off, however it comes back on seconds later. Finally had a chance to have a Break from the kids and did here the right rear is leaking air. next to find out exactly where from I suppose.
Do you have a good place you have used for parts? Will be looking for a front wheel bearing, headlight, and whatever I end up needing for the suspension.
Thanks again.
Luke w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Used parts.

I do not know where you live but I suppose with a Land Rover, it does not matter. I live in Western Canada and I got tyres and 18" wheels from these guys in Wisconsin a few years back - all good. Junk yards with wrecked LR3's are a bit scarce so you take from where you can.

Diamond Auto Parts - Quality Auto Parts and Auto Repair - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

In your case, for the air suspension problems, I would say you will be purchasing new stuff as whatever will be wrong will be either the air spring assembly or some little thing. New rear air springs are to my knowledge only available thru Land Rover or independents like BPUtah. Arnott now has new front air spring assemblies but has not yet developed anything for the rear.

The rear air stuff is really crammed in so make certain you have frame jacks and the like supporting the rear. Assume that the air system is going to let go so make certain when that happens that no dropping would occur. This means both rear wheels off the ground, and the front end raised somewhat as well and supported on axle jacks so there is no lurching.

There are threads in the various forums on replacing the front wheel bearing assembles but think that you have to buy a new assembly rather than just pressing in a replacement bearing - others would know better, and you do not buy them used.

Re the headlight assembly, there should be is a sticker with the part number visible when you open the hood. Use that number when looking for parts plus find out the serial number from the donor vehicle - ideally it should be close to your vehicle and then it will most likely be similar.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Luke, I had the same issue on my '06. It turned out to be the air compressor. It was staying on all the time and a suspension fault light eventually came on. I took it to my local dealer and for $1,000 they solved the problem.
LandyLR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.