Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Adding 3D woodgrain interior trim

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mx468 
#1 ·
I wanted to share my experience with replacing the factory woodgrain trim on my 2006 HSE. The factory molded kit uses a laminate woodgrain with a matte clearcoat. Over time, the clearcoat can turn cloudy, as you can see on the pic of my drivers side vent trim.

I decided I wanted to replace the trim, but the factory trim pieces are extremely expensive, if you can find them at all. Plus, I was worried the same clearcoat issue could occur again. After some searching of aftermarket kits, I found a 3D molded kit online which included the center stack and both vents. This seemed like the best choice for me.

Installation first involved removing the existing 3 trim pieces from the interior, which involves no screws or retainers - just pull straight out while holding near the bottom of the trim piece. The factory wood laminate was adhered to the trim with a type of rubber cement. The laminate could be catefully pryed away from the underlying trim piece as long as you worked carefully from an edge. After removal, the rubber cement residue had to be cleaned off with a putty knife and some goo-gone, but it was easy enough.

Once the trim was cleaned and dry, the new woodgrain could be attached. The original factory laminate was a couple of mm's thick, whereas this aftermarket woodgrain was a lot thinner, about the thickness of a playing card. However, it was exactly molded to the contours of the LR3's trim pieces and the fit was great.

Overall I am very happy with the new look! I will post some additional new vs old pictures in the thread.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.