Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Another Suspension Fault

12K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  HOUM_WA 
#1 ·
Sorry about posting another suspension question, but has anyone had a suspension fault that wouldnt go back to normal height? I am stuck in what i think is access height. If you have i would love to know what can be done about this.

#5 ·
I get a suspension fault and can't get out of Normal height. The only way it works is if I start the truck and don't move it while setting the height, once I start moving I get the fault and it returns to normal height. I haven't had a chance to have anyone look at it.

#15 ·
Isn't this normal? I put mine in extended height mode with the selection in normal, and and when I start moving it tells me it is lowering and does. I do have an issue as it seems I have settling occuring sporadically. I noticed a couple of times when stopped at a light the front drop a little while i was cruisning along in normal mode!? Not all the way to acces height though. I have noticed this happen when shutting down and getting out of the car too, closed the door and it started to sink a bit...? Any hints I am due a dealer visit but this is one of those "sporadic" things that always seem to come back "can not duplicate"

#7 ·
Well like was said, if you get it to a dealer to read the codes you'll have more insight, but the more common suspension suspects are a bad compressor, height sensors/connectors, and wiring (corroded wiring behind the wheel arch especially on early models I guess). I've read of other suspension problems caused by valves, pressure sensors, o-rings.... but the first list seems the most popular to go bad lol.

Can you hear the compressor running or no? That'd be my first guess You might also do some poking around underneath for anything obvious - loose connections, wiring that look suspect, disconnect the sensors and look for water pooled/corrosion around the connectors, etc. Disconnect the battery before disconnecting anything else so the fault logs won't get messed up. If you're out of warranty, most of those parts are relatively straight forward to replace, and height sensors are cheap I know.

#9 ·
There's quite a few places to get LR3 gear depending what you're after. For LR OEM parts & accessories I recommend Will (roverguy.com) on the east coast and Tony (cerroneseuropean.com) on the west coast.

#11 ·
It's a pretty straightforward swap if you decide to DIY. Although, I can't imagine the dealer charging more than an hour labor for the job.

Instructions say it needs to be connected to the computer to depressurize/pressurize but that isn't really necessary FWIU, just take some caution in case some air shoots out.

If you don't already, you might consider getting a subscription to GTR if you're interested in doing some of your own maintenance. Good luck and tell us how it goes!

#16 ·
You guys are backwards.

rsauer, your "issues" of sporadic settling are normal. The LR3 has automatic leveling and does what it wants...it's normal. Don't mess with it or worry about it. Also; you do not "put mine in extended height mode." Unless you are using a jack or other obstacle to high-center yourself.

gdlife's issue, if he's using terms correctly is not simply one of him driving above the speed allowed for off-road height or access height and it returning to normal. He/she is referring to a fault. An amber or red icon that illuminates on the dash and the info center reads "suspension fault" and gives other info.

gdlife....? Is this indeed what is happening? Or are you just getting a "bing bong" tone and then the car tells you that it's going to normal height? Please clarify.

I do wish you kids would read the effing manual...

#17 ·
My bad on the extended height issue - though you can set extended height without selecting an off road setting - to clear an obstacle, it does so note it will auto return to normal when you go a few miles an hour.

Thanks for the warm fuzzy on the settling though, I saw nothing on that in the manual. I just bought this LR3 used, an 06 and still have some warranty - frame on the rear (2nd row) seats busted so it will go in for those when they come in, and want to combine the now needed alignment (new Pirelli's) with that repair and anything else that is evident.

#21 ·
It wasn't in the user manual explaining how the "access mode" works. I have been driving my LR3 for a month now not knowing it will lower itself while the car stop and trans. at P (learned here). I always thought access mode was activated by pulling the knot in the center console manually. Until today while my pax got off the car to buy something, and I was sitting in the car waiting; don't know exactly how many minutes later, I saw my car moving upwards itself (I didn't lower the car for her when she exit). So, it scared me and I thought there might be something wrong with air suspension, until I read this post here about automatic access mode. I am amazed now if this is true. Please clarify "access mode" function:
1. Access mode will activate itself when put on "P" with the engine running? How about engine not running and key out
of the ignition, after I park my car at the end of the day?
2. It will go back to normal height by itself sometime afterwards?
3. For my experience today, when my pax came back after shopping when the car is already back to normal height, it
will remain at normal height, right? The car won't be that smart to know that someone is going to enter.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

#23 ·
I know I can select access height by pushing the toggle AFT. But it wasn't in the manual saying about automatic self levels. Further, I tested it today when I got home after work. I parked my car, and I wait inside the car with engine still running, and nothing happened. So, is it that I have to activate this function before it will work, or is my car malfunction? Really don't know.

#24 ·
I believe it is some literature somewhere. It may not be in the manual itself because there is nothing to know about it except that it exists. The car does not self-level every time you stop and/or park. The best way I can put this is...the car self-levels whenever the hell it feels like it. You cannot predict it, nor should you worry about it. Sounds like your rig is perfectly normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.