Engine Belt Replacement - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Engine Belt Replacement

Getting ready to take Holiday and will drive my 2005 LR3 with 85k miles about 2500 miles in the process. I have heard that many parts stores do not carry the serpentine belts and so I want to buy a set. Can someone tell me how many belts make up a complete engine belt set so I don't get caught short in case I need one? I have maintained her regularly - any advice regarding other things to check before I depart?
LandyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
tlt

I highly doubt a belt failure is imminent. Items that might be worth replacing would be the brake light switch and bulbs.

Have you changed your transfer case oil, transmission fluid, and diff fluids?

Here are the items I would replace with the belts;

making an assumption this is a V8 4.4L
Items 1-4
2005 LAND ROVER LR3 Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories
Items 1-4
2005 LAND ROVER LR3 Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Switch

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default spare tail light bulbs

I certainly agree with getting and installing a new brake light switch before you depart; that assumes you do not already have a new one installed. I carry a number of genuine Land Rover front and rear signal/brake/tail light bulbs as the LR bulbs are slightly different than GM bulbs and the tail light circuit seems to beable to corrupt the whole vehicle - particularily the air suspension system.

Re belts, they are no fun to replace on the side of the road so I put new ones on awhile back and kept the ones I removed as the spares. That way I knew I had replacement belts that would fit if I needed them.

Be aware of the BIC pen fix re the air bleeder hose under the engine cover and if you have not ever replaced the engine thermostat, now is the time before you depart.

Don't let a bunch of error messages in the display bother you if some start to show up. The general rule is the more messages, the less serious the problem is, and fuel it up yourself. The gas cap is a bit different than other vehicles and it is best it be screwed back in properly. If not, the error messages will self clear in a day or two, but best not to have to even see them.

Take a hydraulic bottle jack and a piece of 2 x 6 for under the jack. You might want to practice removing a wheel if you have not had any. It is no fun. I have a baby bottle jack that I can slip under the front A arm and just lift the tyre above the pavement. The technique does not work so well for the rear, but for the front, a tyre removal is five minutes, for the rear, a half hour.

Make your wife carry the second set of keys in her purse so maybe you can get back into the 3 - it is no fun to break into. Also check now that the mechanical door UNlock works - now if the time to find it is frozen.

Pack the rear area on the basis that the rear hatch will not open and that you have to get at the stuff from the inside. In other words, no fixed cargo barriers that can only be removed from the hatch side.

Do all this and you are guaranteed to have no problems at all other than paying for fuel and buy the best gas you can find - no discount stuff when travelling.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.