Finally bought the LR3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Finally bought the LR3

I finally picked up what I think is a great LR3 for me. It's a 2008 SE with 7 seats, LR certified, and only has 20k miles on it. My buddies who are tech's at the Rover dealership looked it over and it's extremely clean. I've been reading up on these things for a while on this forum, so I'm sure I"ll be posting with my first electrical problem within a few weeks I'll be doing the hardcore wheeling in my RR Classic but this will be a great tow vehicle and also the one I take hunting and on the less aggressive off road trips.

I debated between stepping up to a RRS or LR4 but just didn't feel like spending that much money. After test driving a few vehicles, I think the LR3 is a great rig.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

We have had ours a few weeks, and absolutely love it.
EastTNPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Trooper

Gallery: 3

You'll love it. It was my 3rd Land Rover and my favorite so far.

Colin
cnfowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Best of The LR's! I agree!
Dave

2005 LR3/Disco3 SE 4.4 The Rhino
1999 LR Disco II SD 200,900 miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Turtle'
1988 Range Rover Classic (Sold) 'The Rust Bucket'
SafariDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great to hear. So far, very impressed. I can't believe how quiet and smooth it is on the highway- my last disco was a 97 - amazing how far they have come in 10 years.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

well I am happy to report I went a full 2 WEEKS before my check engine light went on! Welcome to Land Rover Anyway, i'm having it looked at tomorrow but for the hell of it was trying to plug in my autel MS300 OBDII tool and I can't get anything other than a Link Error. Anyone ever tried one of these cheap little scan tools? I'll probably get a better one.

I don't have a voltmeter but I think my battery is low b/c the salesman left it sitting for 48 hours with the lights on and not sure if the battery ever recovered. Plus it's an 08 so if it's original battery anyway, it could probably be replaced. Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Trooper

Gallery: 3

If it's the battery, you'll get the Christmas tree effect on the dashboard, not just the CEL.

Colin
cnfowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Charge the battery for a week of nights.

Before you change anything including the battery, charge up the battery for a week of nights until the state of charge is about as good as it can be. Lots of apparent problems just go away when the battery is happy. I use a CTEK US3300 - when it is happy, your 3 is happy.

If you do want to replace something, for about twenty five dollars and a half hour of your labour, you can replace the brake light switch. The deteriorating second set of contacts within can generate a lot of false error messages. Even if the contacts are now OK, they will eventually foul so you will be saving yourself future problems.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks all. I just saw these replies but took the vehicle into Dealer as it's still under warranty. It was throwing one of the "lost communication with..." codes and also a bad bank in the Cat. They are replacing the cat and failed the battery and replaced that as well."

This is all good info. to have though because it won't be under warranty forever. Thanks again
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.