Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

HDC Fault & Transmission Fault

222K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Danzil24 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, We had our LR3 into the city this weekend, first time I was in it for a while. I noticed that the Nav screen was going from light to darker intermittently. Later on, we got an HDC Fault. After we drove home (about 90 miles), we were slowing down from highway speeds and got a Transmission fault, Cruise control was unavailable, and the ride height dropped.

I did some searching once I got home and was hoping that it was a battery issue. I load-tested the battery when it was still warm and fully charged. With a 10sec load test, it sat at 11.4v.

This to me seemed adequate, or is it? Any other ideas?? Thanks!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh, one more thing...when I started looking for the issue, I noticed that the HDC button on the console was pressed down and stuck...likely from the wife's handbag on the console that I keep bugging her to not put there.

Anyway, it was stuck down, so I was able to get it to pop up and now it works properly. Not sure how long it was down, or perhaps it was since the first HDC fault. I also disconnected the battery for about 20 mins to see if I could reset the computer. It seemed to work until I slowed down on the test drive and I got the trans and hdc faults again.

#3 ·
why was the hdc button stuck? have you spilled liquids in that area? it sounds like a electrical fault possibly a corroded wire in the center console,if you have spilled liquids in that area i would be removing the center consol and checking and cleaning all the connectors........

#4 ·
I've been getting a similar problem here on my 06 LR3. I get an intermittent "HDC Fault System Unavailable" or something to that effect on dashboard message center. I've immediately tested the HDC to see if it is in fact "unavailable" and it still works. I took my rig in for service and asked about it, but after learning that just hooking it up to the damn computer would cost me my first born, I politely declined. I figure as long as the HDC is actually working, i aint tripping! Any thoughts?

#6 ·
hdc fault / low suspension

I have an 06 lr3 - getting the same message, looking at land rovers technical reference site, it appears that it may be an electrical harness - which if worn but not completely broken would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Ill investigate and report back

#8 ·
I have an 06 lr3 - getting the same message, looking at land rovers technical reference site, it appears that it may be an electrical harness - which if worn but not completely broken would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Ill investigate and report back
Any luck? I'm getting the same message on the cruise control and I'm taking mine in for service this week so I wanted to know exactly where this harness is to direct the service guys. Thanks

#9 ·
My land rover had the same problem, thought changing the battery would fix it but no luck, still saying hdc fault. no special programs and it is stuck in the low position. I know you shouldnt drive when it is low, but could I drive it to the dealer about 10 miles away? I Assume that the land rover dealer will charge me an arm and leg to diagnose it, but I dont know if all major garages have the means to test it. For information, the bushing on the rods broke and we had that replaced a couple of weeks ago now all of a sudden I get this fault, not sure if it is connected, but it is near my suspension.

#10 ·
Range rover sport 06 transmission and hdc fault!!

:help :bawling: Hi there
Im desperate for some help and advise. I am a female who bought a 2006 range rover sport six months ago. I am not covered under warranty and My problems are constant, and I am far from a motoring expert. When I get into the vehicle, on the dash is displayed, HDC fault system not available, and transmission fault, traction reduced. Then when I try to turn on the engine, it is completely dead which means paying to get it towed, four times so far. This keeps happening me. Last week I got the alternator replaced. Before that, the battery, transmission, basically everything. Bill is in the thousands now. This morning I had the same message. At this stage, It is nearly costing me my job, I am a rep and need to be out on the road. Every mechanic i speak to has different ideas on what is wrong, no one has been able to fix it. There was smoke coming out of the exhaust this morning after I tried and failed yet again to start the thing. There was a message on the radio, with a battery on it, saying low power mode. I dont know what to do, Im in such a bind about this now. Does anyone have any ideas where I should go from here. The mechanic is on the way now, but I have understandably lost faith in him, seeing as I only had the jeep back three days before another problem occurred. Could I have been sold a dud vehicle? Has anyone else had the engine going on them, along with hdc and transmission faults appearing on the console. Please someone help me, Im at my wits end, and Dont know if I am having the wool pulled over my eyes, both by the car dealer and all these so called experts. Any help/advise would be most welcomed. Thanks so much.

#11 ·
It sounds like you might have been sold a dud vehicle. I had similar problems with the transmission fault, HDC fault and suspension lowering. Thankfully it was under factory warranty and it turned out to be just sensors that needed replacing. I have a copy of the papers they sent to the warranty company for payment and it was around a couple hundred dollars. My best advice is to take your rover to a LandRover authorized service center...or just some guys who work on them often and have them diagnose it. Did you take this car to get checked out before you purchased it? Lots of luck

#15 ·
HDC Fault

Hello everyone. I would appreciate some guidance given the fact that this seems to be a prominent issue with the HDC message indicator. A few days ago, the message center stated "HDC Fault currently not available". our LR3 is a 2006 and is just past the warranty period. I don't mind just buying a battery and replacing it myself, but I'm not sure the battery is the problem. I have never used the HDC button before, but noticed that the button was stuck in the down position. I have since freed up the button, but the button does not activate/deactivate the HDC. There are no other issues with the vehicle. The TRS works fine as does the suspension ride height. Any thoughts? I honestly do not want to spend a fortune taking it to LR. I'm going up for an oil change soon, but was not even planning on telling them about it. If they brought it up, then I would chat about it.

Regards,

Matt::drive:

#16 ·
Well i got it fixed!!! I replaced the battery but still was seeing the fault. It was the break switch. The blue and white switch located under the steering column panel. I replaced the switch ($17CDN at LR so stay away from the ebay ones). I did a soft reset and it has been fault free for 3 months! Quick i need a block of wood to knock on!!!

#17 ·
There are some very common things that cause those messages. One being coffee and other liquids being spilled into the Terrain response switch causing it to fault the system. If any of your buttons are sticky or stuck. You may have also spilled liquid into the shifter assy and could contaminate that too. The black connector at the rear of the shifter will corrode usually if there is anything in there and strand you not being able to get the truck out of park. the Second thing is water getting behind the battery and leaking into the connectors in the transfer case electronic control unit. There is a door over the transfer case module but the seal that seal where the wiring goes into the box will allow water to drip right down on the module. that will cause all the ABS, Traction Control, and Air Suspension to also fault.

#20 ·
Hi, I bought 3 months ago an 2006 LR3 HSE with 75k and had the battery changed at 71k when I got the truck. A month ago I tried to start the car and got a thump, nothing happened, tried again and got it running. 2 weeks ago same thing but had to try a couple of times to get started. Yesterday and this morning the same. Only once I got a HDC warning in the dashboard display but the other times nothing. I noticed the nav screen flickering too but I do not know if this is normal or is related or is a separate issue. The thing is that I do not know if I shall replace the battery again, the ignition switch or...???
Would appreciate any input on this, thank you.

#23 ·
Hello every1, my 2006 range rover sport keeps showing engine system fault, limited gears available, suspension lowered, special programs off and f in the dash board, i have almost tried everything, the mechanics says its the nozzles and they changed all of them and it still did not work, they say maybe its the fuel pump and injector pump, i am afraid thats not it too because they have said its so many things and they were wrong, i am writing all the way from west africa, sierra leone to be precise and we dont have range rover garages over here so can somebody please help me with some ideas

#29 ·
Hi I have LR3 06 I keep getting F and HDC fault , transmission fault brake fault . I’ve had the brake switch replaced worked perfect for a half a day comes back . In D won’t change gear unless I push it over but if F is on the dash it won’t change gear . Also yellow handbrake light comes on and yellow triangle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.