HDC Fault & Transmission Fault - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default HDC Fault & Transmission Fault

Hi all, We had our LR3 in to the city this weekend, first time i was in it for a while. I noticed that the Nav screen was going from light to darker intermitantly. Later on we got a HDC Fault. After we drove home (about 90 miles), we were slowing down from highway speeds and got a Transmission fault, Cruise control unavailable, and the ride height dropped. I did some searching once i got home and was hoping that it was a battery issue. I load tested the battery when it was still warm and fully charged. With a 10sec load test it sat at 11.4v. This to me seemed adequate, or is it? Any other ideas?? Thanks!
Ppwcanada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh one more thing...when i started looking for the issue, i noticed that the HDC button on the console was pressed down and stuck...likely from the wife's hand bag on the console that i keep bugging her to not put there. Anyway, it was stuck down, so i was able to get it to pop up and now it works properly. Not sure how long it was down, or perhaps it was since the first HDC fault. I also disconnected the battery for about 20 mins to see if i could reset the computer. It seemed to work until i slowed down on the test drive and i got the trans and hdc faults again.
Ppwcanada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

why was the hdc button stuck? have you spilled liquids in that area? it sounds like a electrical fault possibly a corroded wire in the center console,if you have spilled liquids in that area i would be removing the center consol and checking and cleaning all the connectors........
rovertech76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been getting a similar problem here on my 06 LR3. I get an intermittent "HDC Fault System Unavailable" or something to that effect on dashboard message center. I've immediately tested the HDC to see if it is in fact "unavailable" and it still works. I took my rig in for service and asked about it, but after learning that just hooking it up to the damn computer would cost me my first born, I politely declined. I figure as long as the HDC is actually working, i aint tripping! Any thoughts?
Dgee03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Check battery and replace. The same thing happened to mine earlier this year
tcpfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default hdc fault / low suspension

I have an 06 lr3 - getting the same message, looking at land rovers technical reference site, it appears that it may be an electrical harness - which if worn but not completely broken would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Ill investigate and report back
roblr3halifax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpfl View Post
Check battery and replace. The same thing happened to mine earlier this year
Same here, if your LR3 is an 06 or newer and under 50K you should not have to pay a dime to have your battery replaced. I had mine done at the 45K svc.
brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblr3halifax View Post
I have an 06 lr3 - getting the same message, looking at land rovers technical reference site, it appears that it may be an electrical harness - which if worn but not completely broken would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Ill investigate and report back
Any luck? I'm getting the same message on the cruise control and I'm taking mine in for service this week so I wanted to know exactly where this harness is to direct the service guys. Thanks
mturnerua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

My land rover had the same problem, thought changing the battery would fix it but no luck, still saying hdc fault. no special programs and it is stuck in the low position. I know you shouldnt drive when it is low, but could I drive it to the dealer about 10 miles away? I Assume that the land rover dealer will charge me an arm and leg to diagnose it, but I dont know if all major garages have the means to test it. For information, the bushing on the rods broke and we had that replaced a couple of weeks ago now all of a sudden I get this fault, not sure if it is connected, but it is near my suspension.
worrped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Range rover sport 06 transmission and hdc fault!!

Hi there
Im desperate for some help and advise. I am a female who bought a 2006 range rover sport six months ago. I am not covered under warranty and My problems are constant, and I am far from a motoring expert. When I get into the vehicle, on the dash is displayed, HDC fault system not available, and transmission fault, traction reduced. Then when I try to turn on the engine, it is completely dead which means paying to get it towed, four times so far. This keeps happening me. Last week I got the alternator replaced. Before that, the battery, transmission, basically everything. Bill is in the thousands now. This morning I had the same message. At this stage, It is nearly costing me my job, I am a rep and need to be out on the road. Every mechanic i speak to has different ideas on what is wrong, no one has been able to fix it. There was smoke coming out of the exhaust this morning after I tried and failed yet again to start the thing. There was a message on the radio, with a battery on it, saying low power mode. I dont know what to do, Im in such a bind about this now. Does anyone have any ideas where I should go from here. The mechanic is on the way now, but I have understandably lost faith in him, seeing as I only had the jeep back three days before another problem occurred. Could I have been sold a dud vehicle? Has anyone else had the engine going on them, along with hdc and transmission faults appearing on the console. Please someone help me, Im at my wits end, and Dont know if I am having the wool pulled over my eyes, both by the car dealer and all these so called experts. Any help/advise would be most welcomed. Thanks so much.
lillee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

It sounds like you might have been sold a dud vehicle. I had similar problems with the transmission fault, HDC fault and suspension lowering. Thankfully it was under factory warranty and it turned out to be just sensors that needed replacing. I have a copy of the papers they sent to the warranty company for payment and it was around a couple hundred dollars. My best advice is to take your rover to a LandRover authorized service center...or just some guys who work on them often and have them diagnose it. Did you take this car to get checked out before you purchased it? Lots of luck
surfingmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Does it say what sensors they replaced? that would help alot, Thanks
HotLWB4.2l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

i had the HDC fault, dealer said to change the battery so i did and it took the fault away haha
MilesAway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just change the battery and you're problems will go away. I replace my battery even that I test and read 12v. Now I am still a happy LR3 owner.
05roverta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Talking HDC Fault

Hello everyone. I would appreciate some guidance given the fact that this seems to be a prominent issue with the HDC message indicator. A few days ago, the message center stated "HDC Fault currently not available". our LR3 is a 2006 and is just past the warranty period. I don't mind just buying a battery and replacing it myself, but I'm not sure the battery is the problem. I have never used the HDC button before, but noticed that the button was stuck in the down position. I have since freed up the button, but the button does not activate/deactivate the HDC. There are no other issues with the vehicle. The TRS works fine as does the suspension ride height. Any thoughts? I honestly do not want to spend a fortune taking it to LR. I'm going up for an oil change soon, but was not even planning on telling them about it. If they brought it up, then I would chat about it.

Regards,

Matt:
LR3SE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.