LR3 parking brake motor screeching - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
busrider

Gallery: 0
Default LR3 parking brake motor screeching

The parking brake motor/actuator on my LR3 is making a load screeching sound when the parking brake switch is pulled and the brake applied. After several seconds of screeching I get a Parking Brake warning indicator on the dash. Does the parking brake motor/actuator have a clutch device that might be slipping and hopefully just in need of a simple adjustment or is the prognosis more dire?

Thanks in advance for your feedback...
busrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Out of adjustment.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
House Trained

Agreed. Out of adjustment or if the shoe has been dragging (the rotor will be burned on the hub area) and the material has burned off.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
busrider

Is the adjustment made at the motor, the rear rotor/drums or both? I had just installed new rear pads and rotors/drums when the problem began. I did manually adjust the rear shoes upon reassemble and I believe that portion of adjustment is correct.

Thanks for your comments thus far...
busrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default eBrake failure

Going thru a similar situation with the eBrake.The eBrake assy was replaced 6 mos. ago under warranty for screeching, etc. Replaced rotors and pads at 61K on a 2007 LR3. Adjusted eBrake shoes but didn't bleed system or hook up LR3 to diag any codes. After driving some 300 miles with no issues, eBrake system unexpectedly locked up rear wheels while sitting in lane waiting for the light to change. Had to use the cable-release technique (manual pg 148) to free wheels and drive off. However, eBrake shoes were now dragging and I trashed whole assembly-rotors, eBrakes, etc. getting the truck home. My dealer won't cover the repairs to the eBrakes under the warranty-they are claiming that using after market rotors voids that warranty. My independent shop told me that my mistake was not bringing the truck in after doing the brake job to bleed the system and adjust the eBrake components but, they have seen lots of these eBrake failures and nobody knows why they're failing.
Take your truck to your dealer or independent and have the system checked-you might save yourself about $1100.00 more, for doing your own brake job.
joesamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

does following the emergency brake resetting procedure prevent all of this from happening, or is there something LR has to do to the computer to tell the system the rotors have been replaced?
LR3inRVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by busrider View Post
Is the adjustment made at the motor, the rear rotor/drums or both? I had just installed new rear pads and rotors/drums when the problem began. I did manually adjust the rear shoes upon reassemble and I believe that portion of adjustment is correct.

Thanks for your comments thus far...
Hey,

Did you ever get a response on how to adjust this? I am looking at the same problem and possibly replacing the epb actuator. Would rather save the $ and adjust if I can...

Thanks,
Scott
srownin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I believe one wrinkle when replacing the rear park brake shoes is that the EPB needs to be set to mount mode or service mode which will drive the cables to the fully extended position to allow you to mount the shoes and adjust them. Once done the EPB is then put into latch to take up the slack.

When I had to have my EPB replaced at a local indie shop because they couldn't get it to relatch, I was told that the failure to slack off the cables first was a major cause of problems later on with grabbing shoes or EPB that wouldn't release properly.

I believe the often quoted Bodsy Brake Bible should give you more information and I think you can do it without having a Faultmate handy. You'll find many references to the BBB on the Disco3 co uk site.
stmcknig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Free Download - Bodsy's Brake Bible.

The download etc is free - best deal you will get on the Forum tonight anyway. Yes, there is a parking brake procedure; sounds like some are learning about it the expensive way. All is explained in the download.

Link on disco3 to Bodsy’s Brake Bible

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Bodsy's Brake Bible

Download the latest version; v1.6a as of when I typed this and over 3,700 views now.

Bodsy keeps updating it as he tunes the 36 page pdf up.

The best part is probably towards the end, (page 27/36 and onwards), re the electronic parking brake.

It is black art stuff, (well leading edge, maybe bleeding); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will start.

The fronts are more normal, but the rears, not!

You actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with: (1), the front pair of rotors, and pads, (2), the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then (3), the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes.

That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure as below.

Dynamic operation: In an emergency, the park brake can be applied dynamically’, i.e. with the vehicle travelling at more than 3 km/h (2 mph). Pulling up on the lever and holding it up gives a gradual reduction in speed. The brake warning indicator will illuminate accompanied by a harsh sound and a ’Caution! Parkbrake applied’ appears on the message screen. The stop lamps will illuminate. Releasing or depressing the lever will cancel the parkbrake application.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.

Last edited by bbyer; 11-08-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: correction, over 3,700 views now
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.