Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

LR3 Suspension fault

69K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Drmichael 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 LR3, I am currently getting a suspension fault message and it displays normal height only. Is there a way to check which sensor is causing the issue, if so were are they located? Thank you in advance for your help!

#4 ·
Five volt signals and the like.

The link below provides an explanation of how the air system is supposed to work. There is no easy way of testing any of it as the signals tend to be digital in nature. The air valve solenoids work at the usual 12 volts, but the sensors run from a nominal five volts like a computer as they feed to a computer.

Also the odds are the problem is not a sensor but corrosion of the wiring to the sensors. If it was just the sensors, you could replace them all, (but one at a time), until the problem solved itself. That procedure is cheaper than one visit to the dealer, but most often, will not solve the problem.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/alb...ver factory D3 air suspension description.pdf

#5 ·
gdlife,

i am not a motor or any type of mechanic or technician and what i state here is what i've experienced with my D3.

you do not state if the fault message is displayed all the time or not, but consider the following:

- does the fault go away if you restart the car.

- if it does go away, have your car's battery checked - the reason for the fault could be that there is a voltage drop at a specific moment in time and for one or other reason it displays the fault you see instead of just telling you that the battery is not fully charged. This will happen when you use your car mostly in town and do not drive longish distances to give the alternator a chance to recharge the battery. A possible solution will be to use a battery charger to recharge the battery say every 2 or 3 months

- If not, check the fuse for the suspension (the one in the engine compartment - its a yellow 30Ampere block type fuse). the reason for this could be that the compressor takes to long to raise the suspension and then it blows the fuse. Another possible reason is that the fuse is not properly seated in its position or does not always make proper contact.

- the suspension compressor can be serviced. there are 2 items that can be bought from the dealers, not now sure what its called but rather inexpensive when comparing to the cost of a new compressor, and replace the other parts. In my case we removed the compressor, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together and back onto the car. this allowed the compressor to raise the car a bit faster than before.

- i've also read that one can use one of the faultmate products to change the time (make it faster) it takes for the compressor to raise the suspension

my solution for now is to always have 2 of those fuses in the car

i hope u get it right

#6 ·
Thats only our training manual.

Even that shouldn't be on the web.

but yes, there are about twenty different things that go wrong and you need to pull the codes or else you are just another DIYer throwing money away cause they can't fathom going to the dealer to get accurate diagnosis.

#8 ·
Suspension Fault...need help

I have a 2005 LR3 V8 4.4...I took the unit to a local mechanic to check for an oil leak. The unit was put on a lift with the wheels dangling.. after coming off the lift I got a suspension fault normal height only message. The compressor sound really weak and after about 20seconds it stops and i get the fault message. I changed brake light switch and did a "hard ecu reset". I have 12.63volts on battery... I still have the message and the vehicle wont lift....any advice is appreciated.

#10 ·
I just found out the stabilizer bracket that connects to the frame broke off the frame. This is the second time this has happened. My Land Rover just rolled over 100,00. I cant believe I this is happening again it’s only used for city driving. Anyone else had this issue???
Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.