LR3 Winch Replacement - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default LR3 Winch Replacement

The spare tire winch on my 2008 LR3 is no longer working after one use (surprise, surprise). I poked my head under there, is it really as easy as taking off those six bolts and it will come loose? Can anyone confirm this who has replaced their winch?

Also, has anyone repaired their winch or should I just get a new one?

Thanks-
MichiganRoverDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Buy a new tyre winch.

Everybody has replaced the spare tyre winch; well it seems that way, and if they have not, they just do not know that it does not work.

I purchased my new genuine one from BP Utah and for once, replacement is a clean hands not too difficult task. The winches are effectively not repairable.

You just need a nice day and a clean surface to lay on under the rear and a metric socket - forget what size but the task is almost pleasant.

The newer winches may be an improved design however once you have the new one installed, do not let the local tyre shop use their impact wrench on it to suck the spare back up. If so, you will at least be more experienced the second time re replacement.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

bbyer, thanks for the reply, that's what I figured the answer was, but I thought I would check.

I think I will put a sign under the carpet, on top of the winch that says "HAND TOOLS ONLY NO IMPACT WRENCH" so this doesn't happen again.
MichiganRoverDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine just curled around itself. Easily removes with 10mm wrench. it's 1 piece. replacement part is $250. Can anyone tried a cheaper replacement?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

OK, this was a bitch to fix but the winch is fixable. I fixed mine by taking the winch apart. you have to knock out the 4 rivets that hold it together. once removed everything pops out. There is a plastic guide that broke - it guides the cable in and out - so remember not to over turn this when you raise up your winch with weight on it. My cable wrapped around it self and squished the plastic guide. you'll have to pry apart the cable with a flat head screw driver to undo the cable and pull down on the cable with your weight behind it and it will come back down; put it back together then wind it up with the the wrench provided. there are no rivets so be careful it could come apart but it won't once you bolt it back under the truck. put your tire back and wind it up slowly and Bob's your Uncle. hope this helps.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Spare Wheel Winch Repair Procedure LR3/4 RR Sport

Gooday,
I know its been done to death, but I've written a repair procedure that may be of interest and save a few bucks. Good luck. Contact me and I will send PDF attachment. Its to big to attach here unfortunately.
Cheers from Oz
cristalfb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm probably one of those people who has one that doesn't work and I dont' know it yet. On that note, will a full size stock tire size mounted on a full size stock wheel fit down there? Thank you
Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Eniam17,
I have 255/60R18 Continental AT tyre on an 18" rim and it fits fine underneath my 2008 LR3. I'll try and reduce my repair attachment and post it again.
Cheers
Crjstalfb
cristalfb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Great, thank you for the reply.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristalfb View Post
Gooday,
I know its been done to death, but I've written a repair procedure that may be of interest and save a few bucks. Good luck. Contact me and I will send PDF attachment. Its to big to attach here unfortunately.
Cheers from Oz
Cristalfb,
mine just froze up . . . do you have a link to your repair procedure?

Thanks,

-David
davidfkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Would it be possible for you to send me the repair guide as my wheel winch has frozen due to it being removed with a rattle gun
Many thanks, Shane
Shasma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.