Parking brake not disenguaging - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
╗ Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
2006 LR3

Gallery: 0
Default Parking brake not disenguaging

2006 LR3 , Parked on an incline, set the parking brake. When leaving, pressed parking brake button down, lights goes off and on I went. Got to highway speeds and the vehicle started vibrating, pulled over and there was a burning smell coming from rear left wheel. I figured it was the parking brake but No warning lights came on, so I did the manual parking brake disengage as per the owner's manual. Car still vibrated when I got up to speed.

I have taken the car in twice before for parking brake Screeching noise before and dealer has replaced switch twice.
Any body else had the same issue with the parking brake locking up? What was the outcome when taken to dealer?
odogg81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

They replaced the switch? Really? Twice? You probably need a new epb actuator, plus all the parking brake bits in the left rear wheel. The actuator will come with new cables which is good because when you cooked the left hand parking brake the cable got so hot it fused to its housing. If your previous electronic parking brake concerns were recent, say less than 6 months/6k miles, the dealer you took it to should at the very least properly diagnose it for free (assuming it's the same concern). Don't try to replace the epb actuator/cables yourself- the part alone is several hundred dollars and VERY easy to get wrong. It will also need to be programmed to the car with the dealer's computer. Good luck!
Jamie Fennel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
2006 LR3

So I took the car in this morning to the dealer and they stated it was the ECM and TCM that needed to be reprogrammed. No mention if the parking brake was damaged....I definitely smelled burning and saw smoke coming out from the left rear tire. Any thoughts?
odogg81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like a fault in the parking brake actuator this would result in the drum brakes inside the rear discs not releasing hence the smell. The parking brake must be correctly adjusted otherwise it will not work. If you have been off road the drums can get dirty and can affect the release mechanism inside the drum.
phildiver11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

You might should replace the rear disk that is now cooked and have your parking brake shoes replaced and have them follow the parking brake adjustment procedure as per topix and you should be okay. but if you still here your parking brake control module making that screeching noise it will also need to be replaced and then have the rear parking brake shoes adjusted again.
LR Tech SD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Land Rover Tech

All those trucks had there parking brakes out of adjustment from the factory. We had a big recall to readjust the parking brakes. Sounds like someone didn't do yours correctly.
aachour83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

try this, it resets the electronic park brakes and then you put your foot on the brakes and pull the switch and the brakes are applied again. just make sure your on a flat road.
http://www.diagnostic-associates.com...BR%20Sales.pdf
Ddrive1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aachour83 View Post
All those trucks had there parking brakes out of adjustment from the factory. We had a big recall to readjust the parking brakes. Sounds like someone didn't do yours correctly.
Hi there aachour83

Can you tell me more about this recall - I too am having the problem with park brake and having the usual stealer treatment. Land Rover claim NEVER to have been aware of any such problem with Park Brakes Ever and certainly NEVER a recall. That is the official come-back they seem to have.
Chucky200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Former LR tech, Albany NY

The recall was for a few vehicles that got misadjusted. Trust me we saw the evidence within ten thousand miles or less. After that it was the person who took the rear rotor off and it was their responsibility to install it correctly. Sorry recall won't help you. you probably need new ebrake shoes to start with.
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.