Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Radio works, but no Sound out of speakers?

224K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  reverendALC 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My 2005 LR3 has no sound out of the speakers, however, the radio/CD player is on and seems to be working. This has happened in the past, and the solution has been to turn the car off and then turn it back on.

It just happened again today. I tried turning the car off, waiting a minute, and restarting it, but the sound wouldn't come out of the speakers. After searching this site for a solution and still not coming up with any answers, I went back outside, turned the car on, and now it WORKS! Seems like letting it sit out in the driveway for about half an hour fixed the problem.

Does anybody have any advice? Hopefully, this won't happen again:unsure:

#4 ·
I have a '07 HSE with the same problem. Now it has progressed to the navigation system and that completely shuts down. This problem happens a lot with the radio and nav system. Land rover has looked at the car numerous times. Two different dealers have verified the problem. LRNA says the car is fine. I have video recordings of the problems, on several different occasions. I have had to sue LRNA over this issue. They are claiming that my iPhone is causing all of the problems. I have had 3 different iphone models and it happens with all of them.

#5 ·
I had a similar problem with my '06 a few months ago. The speakers weren't functioning on any input for a few hours, but they eventually came back. The problem hasn't happened since. And no, the speakers weren't muted and the volume wasn't turned down...

#6 ·
My 2005 LR3 has no sound out of the speakers, however, the radio/CD player are on and seem to be working. This has happened in the past, and the solution has been to turn the car off and then turn it back on.

It just happened again today. I tried turning the car off, waiting a minute and restarting it, but the sound woundn't come out of the speakers. After searching this site for a solution and still not coming up with any answers, I went back outside, turned the car on, and now it WORKS! :buttrock:Seems like letting it sit out in the driveway for about half an hour fixed the problem.

Does anybody have any advice? Hopefully this won't happen again:dunno:
I had the same thing the day before I was leaving on a road trip ONLY the cd player would produce sound even though the display on the radio worked fine. I got to work in stone silence called the dealer and on my way to the dealership it started working again. They pushed a software update to the stereo and amp and said that tends to fix the problem though it makes no sense why that would work given my cars other systems hadn't been recently flashed or updated but no problems since.

#7 ·
Radio works, but no sound thru Speakers

I had a similar problem with my 06 LR3 about 7 weeks ago on my radio where the cd, ipod input, and bluetooth all worked thru the speakers, but the radio would not work. At the time, I thought either the radio became defective or the antenna amplifier died and needed replacing. So I took it to LR dealer and they first told me that radio was defective and covered under warranty. They replaced it with a refurb radio and when I got it the radio stations would not pick up as good and got alot of static as if the connection to the antenna was bad or ant amp went bad. Took back a second time and then they told me they had to replace the entire antenna. Then I called back later that day to see if it was ready for pickup, then they said that it was the another defective radio and not the antenna. They had to order a new radio and now have been waiting for 7 weeks for a new radio from the dealer that said it would be only 1-2 wks. I have called once a week and even talked with General Manager and they tell me that its back ordered from UK. I even contacted LR Customer Service but did not help. Need some help here! How do I get the ball rolling on this? - a BBB complaint, etc?

#8 ·
I had the same issue a couple of times. Sometimes turning off and back on works. The others I had to disconnect the battery for 30 min. System reset and all works again.

#12 ·
radio fault

hi all just stripped my radio out of my rr sport, i was trying to find out why i had no sound one day, then worked the next and then no sound at all.
when i put radio back in, i found there are two firbe optic beams that come from the rear of the radio, one is for the sat nav, the other is radio sound to your amp, i only had one beam and it was on the right side of the optic plug at rear of radio, so this gave sound for sat nav, the left beam was not there meaning no sound going to amp so radio/cd player no sound. when i told my mate who works at r r reading he was surprised that i had found that fault, as they new nothing, so i still have to buy a new radio.
i only took it out to see if i could see a dry joint when i took it out of its casings. i hope this helps, my symptons where a buzzing sound, then no sound, then sound , then nothing at all but radio/cd player worked fine when looking at the display. GOODLUCK AND HAVE A LOOK YOURSELF.:beer:

#33 ·
radio fault

hi all just stripped my radio out of my rr sport, i was trying to find out why i had no sound one day, then worked the next and then no sound at all.
when i put radio back in, i found there are two firbe optic beams that come from the rear of the radio, one is for the sat nav, the other is radio sound to your amp, i only had one beam and it was on the right side of the optic plug at rear of radio, so this gave sound for sat nav, the left beam was not there meaning no sound going to amp so radio/cd player no sound. when i told my mate who works at r r reading he was surprised that i had found that fault, as they new nothing, so i still have to buy a new radio.
i only took it out to see if i could see a dry joint when i took it out of its casings. i hope this helps, my symptons where a buzzing sound, then no sound, then sound , then nothing at all but radio/cd player worked fine when looking at the display. GOODLUCK AND HAVE A LOOK YOURSELF.🍺
HIABMAN,
Were you ever able to figure out a solution? I am new to this forum and just picked up a 2013 LR4 and experiencing the exact same problems as you describe. I ended buying a used touchscreen and NAV/Bluetooth/DVD unit but still the same issue. I noticed that the buzzing noise stops when i disconnect the fiberoptic (black plug with red light). I am more than frustrated trying to trouble shoot this and I am now considering taking it in to the dealer but I may just upgrade to an Alpine Head unit as it may cost more to just have JLR diagnose it.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

#13 ·
no sound / radio working + frozen LR screen

I have LR3 '07 . It just happened to me when I pulled by mistake the Multimdedia the fuse from fuse box behind the glove compartment. No sound / LandRover starting screen frozen. I ll reboot taking battery out for 30 minutes and see if it works

#14 ·
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f41/radio-works-but-no-sound-out-speakers-36010/

I have LR3 '07 . It just happened to me when I pulled by mistake the Multimdedia the fuse from fuse box behind the glove compartment. No sound / LandRover starting screen frozen. I ll reboot taking battery out for 30 minutes and see if it works
Hi Jbord,
Please, can you post how you resolved the no sound problem on your '07 LR3. I currently experiencing the same problem on my '07 LR3. Thanks. OAni.

#15 ·
The amp is most likely going out for most of your problems some it doesn't sound like an amp issue but the harman Kardon amps aren't really what you call quality made but they sound great when the sound works one day then not at all your amp is most likely on its last leg

Reactions: mijam
#16 ·
Just posted this in the other thread. Check this area first.

I have an 06 and had this same exact problem. After beating my head against CANBUS, wiring diagrams and trouble shooting charts for a week it turned out to be a good old fashioned corroded wire. So take a close look at the harness before shelling out for a big ticket item like an amp.

This is where the trouble was found in my 06 HSE.
Open the passenger front door, remove the plastic sill trim that covers the edge of the carpet and take a close look at the wiring harness that runs along that side of the truck under the carpet. Mine was wet, dirty and had a number of damaged wires.

Repaired the harness and everything worked as it should.

Hope that helps.

Matt.

Reactions: mijam
#17 ·
I used to own a car audio store. What I have seen in my 07 that I have owned for a month now is if the radio is left on when the key is shut off, sometimes it will have sound when the key is turned on and sometimes not. I've done just some basic troubleshooting and found that the rear passenger pods still have sound, and hard resets are temporary. What I would ask all of you to try with similar issues is to turn off your radio before you shut your truck off.
On modern cars, ex. "Camaro" you have to turn off the radio before you remove it to put in a aftermarket radio. There must be a data collision or software issues in these radios. So if you shut it off manually, and turn it on manually it seems to work 100% of the time for me. It is tough getting into this habit, but for a no cost fix, it's worth trying.
NOTE: The radio needs to be working with audio to use this method. If you have no sound at all, ever I would try the fuses, hard rest methods first.

#19 ·
I just bought a 2006 LR3 and the radio display looks as though everything is ok when I start it up but no sound comes out. If I drive it for about a mile or so, sometimes longer, the sound will come on and work fine.

I just bought a 2006 LR3 and the radio display looks as though everything is ok when I start it up but no sound comes out. If I drive it for about a mile or so, sometimes longer, the sound will come on and work fine. When I turn the volume knob it doesn't show level changing.

I have tried hard reset

I don't have a phone hooked up to it and I don't plan to but the radio displays "Phone Removed" I feel like this may have something to do with the issue but I haven't been able to find any solutions

#21 ·
I had a problem with my audio system driving home in my 2012 range sport. static noise was coming out of the radio, when I switched it to cd…same thing. In fact I turned off the radio completely and it was still coming through the speakers, loud and annoying. Any suggestions as to what it is? I have tried turning the car on and off and nothing. I will take it in to the dealership in the am. So many issues with this car, starting to think it wasn't worth the purchase price.

#22 ·
I had a problem with my audio system driving home in my 2012 range sport. static noise was coming out of the radio, when I switched it to cd…same thing. In fact I turned off the radio completely and it was still coming through the speakers, loud and annoying. Any suggestions as to what it is? I have tried turning the car on and off and nothing. I will take it in to the dealership in the am. So many issues with this car, starting to think it wasn't worth the purchase price.

#23 · (Edited)
I have had a similar issue in both a Discovery and an LR3. In my case, I finally narrowed it down to the ignition key. Your situation may be different.

When driving the Disco, my wife would turn and really crank the key to the start position and hold it hard and firm. What was happening over time is every now and then the key would not spring the entire way back, there was still just a fraction of millimeter or so that it could spring back further if you manually tristed the key. Whenever she did this and it did not fully spring back, all sorts of crazy things would happen. The radio would not work sometimes, the climate control would be frozen, etc.

When I discovered this, I began to always manually twist the key back to position II each start and had no issues.

When I took her LR3, I was still in the habit of twisting the key back manually. One day I got in did the usual start/twist with the key and the radio would not work (lights but no sound). Like many here, eventually it came back on after some driving and a couple restarts. The next time I had an issue, some interior stuff also went awry and it dawned on me that I was still twisting the key like the Disco, but I did not need to because the spring action was fine. In this case I was twisting the key a fraction past the II position toward I.

I stopped twisting the key back and have not had an issue since. So, my guess is that in some cases, people may be inadvertently over/under tristing the key in the ignition and it somehow causes electrical gremlins to pop up. I hope it helps at least someone here! I am sure some of these issues may be real mechanical issues too, but play around and see what happens!

#24 ·
Hard Reset Instructions

I am posting the Hard Reset Instructions below as sometimes a hard reset can fix a no sound problem. I do not know why and the hard reset is no guarantee of a fix but it costs nothing to do and is fairly easy to do as well. Nothing get wrecked and sometimes the radio starts up again.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the drivers door window rolled down and the key in my pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.) Also when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.)

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable. (NOT the battery.) To do this, you will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.
Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully within a minute of so, you hear the radio again.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.
You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.
Disco3Club The Discovery 3 and 4 Owners Club ? Login

#35 ·
Hard Reset Instructions

I am posting the Hard Reset Instructions below as sometimes a hard reset can fix a no sound problem. I do not know why and the hard reset is no guarantee of a fix but it costs nothing to do and is fairly easy to do as well. Nothing get wrecked and sometimes the radio starts up again.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the drivers door window rolled down and the key in my pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.) Also when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.)

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable. (NOT the battery.) To do this, you will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.
Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully within a minute of so, you hear the radio again.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.
You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.
Disco3Club The Discovery 3 and 4 Owners Club ? Login
Does this also work for a 2006 Range Rover Sport?

#25 ·
Hello ROVERANDOM
Living in a little french island in Indian Ocean, with in summer a quite wet weather. I've a 06 LR3 with the same problem with radio sound desapearing time to time. I suppose as you suggest its a problem of corroded wire, located under the plastic cover on passenger side (left hand driving)
Ive alreday repaired this sort of problem with the remote control of doors... But for the radio, wich wires are concerned, do you have a colour indication ?
Regards and forgive me for my poor english

#26 ·
The link below is to a number of files related to the infotainment system.

One of the files when opened is a 12 page wiring pdf that you can copy, save and then print out. The wiring pdf shows wire colours in a code as follows: B black; G green; K pink; LG light green' N brown; O orange; P purple; R red; S grey; T transparent; U blue; W white; Y yellow.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - NAV Radio BlueTooth phone and Rosen DVD

Incidentally, your English is a lot better than many who live here in Canada.

Which French island are you referring to as France has many, including in the Pacific.

#27 ·
Thanks a lot, I"ll try next weekend and hope I"ll be able to find the right wires.
The French island in wich I live is Reunion Island (Ile de la Réunion in french) : about 800 km to the east of Madagascar, and 150 km to Mauritius island. We are in the south Indian Ocean and continental France is about 10 000 km far. Reunion and Mauritius were both French colonies, but in 1814 Mauritius was let to Great Britain (something like the Canada's history ... but much smaller !!!)
Reunion Island is a quite young volcanic island, and as I'm writing, our volcano "Piton de la Fournaise" (an hawaian volcano type) is
erupting.

#28 ·
the MH 370 island

Yes, Réunion, I have heard of it; actually read about it in various 18th century sea novels etc as well as more recently with the parts of that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 washing ashore.

MH370 debris confirmed: Number on washed-up wing matches missing jet, French prosecutor says | National Post

I cannot say I have been there but I did spend a week or so in Nouvelle Calédonie in the South Pacific and I have about 15,000 km driving a Renault about France and the EU.

Below is the Wikipedia link to Reunion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Réunion

Good luck with the radio - it will not be easy.

#29 ·
Audio system has full function but no sound 2005 Sport HSE

Turned on my radio and crackle no sound. Turned volume right up and got message on radio screen low battery mode.
Dealer could not access system to check out the problem so as I'm from the trade myself decided to investigate.

All fuses behind glove box for audio system were fine but swapped them out as matter of course.
14.5v was registered at the back of the amplifier under the drivers seat (Harman/Karon) checked wiring at terminals all seamed good.

On board self diagnostics confirmed fibre optic loop was ok. Removed radio to check for wiring at terminals all ok.
Sent radio head away to a Alpine repair specialist and they confirmed software was corrupt so re-programmed the unit.

Refitted but still no sound.
Removed Harmon amplifier and took apart for internal inspection. No burning or cracked solder joints are apparent.

Now have tried three hard re-boots of the vehicle electrics still with no result.

I'm guessing the amplifier is faulty but no one wants to bench test it for me so vehicle I'd going back to the dealer now the radio head is re-programmed let's hope they can now access the audio system via their plug in diagnostics.

Will post results.

#30 ·
Not revive a dead thread, but I figured someone stumbling across this might be able to point me in the right direction...

06 LR3 HSE. Radio volume works 20% of the time. Comes on randomly. When it's not working, it's almost like the radio doesn't even recognize the knob - it doesn't say "Audio Volume" or show any of the volume numbers like when it's working.

Pooling water in passenger footwell. I have replaced passenger sunroof drain, warped windshield cowl and blew out both AC drains. It's drying out slowly.

Question...could the water be affecting my intermittent volume issue or does that sound amp or software related?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.