Replacing Thermostat Housing - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Replacing Thermostat Housing

Hi Guys,
after changing the thermostat a couple of weeks ago I am now noticing that the thermostat housing is leaking a bit. I am planning to replace the housing but I am wondering if it is mandatory to drain the coolant as I did it before? or it is not mandatory.. I just want to skip this step if not needed. I do not want to get a mess of coolant fluid when I remove the 3 hoses from the thermostat housing.

Thanks in advance, Roberto

Last edited by rzuluaga; 02-29-2012 at 01:26 PM.
rzuluaga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

V6 or V8?

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have an 05 LR3 HSE V8. 80k miles.
Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

At least drain it below the level of the housing to make the mess smaller.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depending on where the housing is leaking you might not have to replace the whole housing. There are several rubber seals in the various ends of the housing that may be your problem and can be bought seperately, or at least the one that seals where the uppper and lower housing join can be I know for sure. You dont have to drain the coolant when you do this and you really didn't when you did the thermostat either. It is just a good idea to change the coolant every once and awhile and you might as well when you are changing the thermostat. If you are ideed changing the housing you will have to buy everything together for around $100 unfortunately. I just had to do this same thing. You will end up getting the upper and lower housing with all the seals along with a new coolant temperature sensor and thermostat. Let me know if you just need just the lower portion of the housing and seals as I have that and both a thermostat and coolant temp sensor left over from when I did this.
wrxracer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxracer87 View Post
Depending on where the housing is leaking you might not have to replace the whole housing. There are several rubber seals in the various ends of the housing that may be your problem and can be bought seperately, or at least the one that seals where the uppper and lower housing join can be I know for sure. You dont have to drain the coolant when you do this and you really didn't when you did the thermostat either. It is just a good idea to change the coolant every once and awhile and you might as well when you are changing the thermostat. If you are ideed changing the housing you will have to buy everything together for around $100 unfortunately. I just had to do this same thing. You will end up getting the upper and lower housing with all the seals along with a new coolant temperature sensor and thermostat. Let me know if you just need just the lower portion of the housing and seals as I have that and both a thermostat and coolant temp sensor left over from when I did this.
Check this photo .. my guess is that it is leaking from the upper housing and from a bolt. Also the same day I changed the thermostat (2 weeks ago) I also replaced the housing gasket o-ring that fits in the lower part of the housing.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...73942039248514

I took that picture with a blue light flashlight to get a better contrast with the orange coolant fluid.

Do you think that is the upper housing too? If so I will be buying this one.

Land Range Rover Sport LR3 Genuine OEM Thermostat Housing Cover

Last question. Do I need to disconnect the battery when replacing the housing?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

My guess would be that it is just your upper housing that is leaking. Mine looked like the coolant was coming from around one of the bolts as well even though I couldn't visually find a crack. I replaced just the upper housing, and no more coolant leak. I wish I had known you could just buy the upper housing when I did this job. The battery wont need to be disconnected.
wrxracer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.