Scan Tools. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Scan Tools.

I'm looking at a scan tool for the LR3. I want one that will read all the manufacturer specific information and be able to command the various inputs, store events over time and be able to read real time information etc. In other words, the full meal deal.

I have looked at the Bearmach hawk eye system and it seems ok but I have also looked at the Auto Enginuity PC based system and that seems far more versatile.

Has anyone had any experience with the hawk eye or Auto Enginuity systems?

Any other systems I should know about, other than the black box faultmate.

Thanks for any help, Matt.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Black Box brand emulates Dealer Computer

If you have a thousand dollars, you can duplicate what the dealer has. Not only can you read codes, you can do all the software updates yourself as you get access to their web site where the updates are stored.

In other words, you could change your daytime running lights to the any of the Euro systems; update your Bluetooth as required; install the heater AC software upgrades and whatever else Land Rover has come up with in the last few years for the LR3.

For less money, Blackbox makes what would be called a code reader - it reads and clears codes plus a few other things. It may not be advertised yet on the web site as they are backordered on the things - guys out of England are getting them, so until they catch up, I do not think you will see it on the website. You can send them an email however.

Blackbox is owned by a Brit who lives in Cyprus, understands computers, and likes Land Rovers.

https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Why are you critical of the FaultMate?

Of all of the scan tools I've used, I keep coming back to BlackBox Solutions as their stuff really is the best. Expensive, but worth it.

260-804-0458

Dominic Perodeau/Global British is a thieving bastard, do not send him money.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Very Postive on Faultmate

I am very impressed with Faultmate.

Their products are the solution to keeping your LR3 on the road, particularily given that the closest dealer north of Edmoton is in either Iceland or Greenland.

I just did not want to sound like I was shilling for Black Box.

The full load Faultmate MSV-2 is better than the dealer computer as one can take it with you when travelling. The MSV-2 can just remain in the LR3 and hence once you learn how to use it, you can pretty much override any shutdown "feature" that Land Rover has devised.

This means when an intermittent suspension fault puts you down on the stops, you can rise again, even north of Yellowknife NWT.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyer View Post
I just did not want to sound like I was shilling for Black Box.
Trust me, Colin and I have had some heated arguments, but he still makes the best product out there-especially when compared to many of the rest.

I haven't tried the Hawkeye yet-soon enough, I'm sure.

260-804-0458

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

bbyer, do you know if the Land Rover software updates are available to other diagnostic tools than the 'factory' system. I'm playing catch-up with my 06 LR3 on the computer front and would love to be able to install the updates without taking it to the dealer.

I am interested because I currently have the radio and sat nav inop fault and I gather that there is a software update available.

Great to see your up in sunny Edmonchuck, I'm in Medicine Hat. Do you know Bill inch and gang from the ALRE?

Cheers, Matt.

Matt.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

A good all around scanner is the 3130 at, CanOBD2.com - Tools
I purchased it for under $150 at Amazon.com. It will give you alot what you need without getting into the really big bucks.

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com or call 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com or call 434-251-9331
P.T. Schram 260-804-0458

Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Disco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyer View Post
If you have a thousand dollars, you can duplicate what the dealer has. Not only can you read codes, you can do all the software updates yourself as you get access to their web site where the updates are stored.
Where? When I inquired, I was quoted $22K and that only came with one year of updates.

260-804-0458

Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yea the software to update to the LR3 and RRs is $15k
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

$22K, $15k. Yikes! At those prices the dealers would almost have a permanent monopoly on the software updates unless you are a large volume independent. Perhaps possible in the UK but not really economically viable here in western Canada.

I think I am swaying toward the Auto Enigiuity PC based system with the OE Land Rover enhanced option as it seems allows me access to the entire OE diagnostic capabilities, information and drivers etc. not just the federally mandated OBD II stuff that all code readers can access.
The scan tool retails for around $250 US and the Land Rover specific OE enhanced option adds another $140 US. On top of that you need a Lap top computer (obviously)but it does seem to cover all Land Rovers OBD II from 1996 onwards and the enhanced version covers nearly all late model units like the LR3-4 RRS and RR and even some LR2's, no paying extra for additional "unlock" codes for multiple vehicles as the Hawkeye system dictates. In 'bang for the buck' terms it seems quite good value.

However, It does not appear to have the capability to install the Land Rover software updates, but seeing as they are not really available to mere mortals anyway I may end up having to take it to the dealer for that anyway which is a shame as I hate to pay for an hour or more "Labour" just to have someone hook up the factory scan tool and re flash a ECM.

The current software dependency and inherent OEM control of this software of modern vehicles is , without a doubt, the most unsatisfactory and frustrating part of new(er) car ownership for non computer oriented people, such as myself.

In other words, it really pisses me off to have to pay the dealer to temporarily "fix" something that is not physically worn out or broken and that "fix" is only as good as the latest software update.

I may start to use the Series I as my daily driver. The only software involved in that thing are seat cushions, and even they are not so soft!

If I decide on going forward and purchasing the Auto Enginuity system I will assess it and report back my thoughts (good and bad) to you guys. Thanks for the help.

Cheers, Matt.

Matt.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Updates off the Faultmate web site.

When you purchase the Faultmate Extreme, you get access to the BlackBox operated forum that has the software, including updates for the 3.

Off the link below, go to the Support page. You will not be able to actually download anything however unless you have access. To get access, you have to buy the appropriate pieces. Also when you purchase the Extreme, its internal software is tied to vehicle serial number. Unless you purchase the multi-serial number software, then your device only works with your 3. If you sell your 3 and get say a 4, then serials numbers can be changed, but in short, the device you purchase only works with the initial Land Rover serial number that you input.

As to why the official Land Rover dealer software costs so much, I presume that is a way for the factory to get back at their dealers re warrenty repair. The dealers have no choice but to purchase the package at the factory price so ....

Re the factory equipment, the data we want access is considered proprietary, and for that it is felt by the factory that you must pay the dealer so he can not only get his investment back, but get a return on the investment as well - otherwise, the money spent is an expense.

Factory software updates fall into this sort of thinking as well. "We did not do it right the first time, however this time we think we have it", so if you want to try out our latest Beta, then pay up. This is established business practice. The latest world application of this policy is Windows 7.

My view of most all off the shelf scanners is that they can only access the real simple faults and pollution control stuff. That is all US law requires.

BlackBox does have a device, (Faultmate FCR), that reads and clears LR faults - (all of them, but no software updating capability), and costs less than $US350.00. I think that they are back ordered as a lot of the Brits are buying them.

I do however, have a Scan Gauge II mounted on my steering column. It is a scanner of sorts, and I must say that it did clear some fault, (P000), that made the MIL light illuminate right after a dealer oil change - so it has some use in that manner. The primary reason I purchased it was to have digital readouts of water temperature, volts, vacuum etc - the gauges missing from my 3, (and everyone elses).

Blackbox Solutions Ltd. Downloads Page
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hiya All and Thank you for your kind words of appreciation of what we try to provide to the LR community.

Hiya PT

Yep i sure ain't no slick sales guy or charm merchant, i am just a semi retired (to a lovely sunny country Cyprus) Land Rover nut with a love of electronics and computers to boot, as BByer states. I do own and run Blackbox, but thats primarily to keep me busy, combine my interests and help fellow LR lovers out, although of course it helps pay the rent ;-)

Hiya Matt (Roverandom)
Great to meet a fellow D3 owner and lover. Although i also still own an L322 and P38, (hard to let them go innit) my D3 is my pet project and greatest love. Mine was the most basic spec you can get, but i totally upgraded it to about the highest possible.

I just love getting to grips and mastering all the latest technology such as is found in the D3 and its CAN bus.

I would happily answer any and all questions anyone may have.
BBS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS GUY View Post
Hiya All and Thank you for your kind words of appreciation of what we try to provide to the LR community.

Hiya PT

Yep i sure ain't no slick sales guy or charm merchant, i am just a semi retired (to a lovely sunny country Cyprus) Land Rover nut with a love of electronics and computers to boot, as BByer states. I do own and run Blackbox, but thats primarily to keep me busy, combine my interests and help fellow LR lovers out, although of course it helps pay the rent ;-)

Hiya Matt (Roverandom)
Great to meet a fellow D3 owner and lover. Although i also still own an L322 and P38, (hard to let them go innit) my D3 is my pet project and greatest love. Mine was the most basic spec you can get, but i totally upgraded it to about the highest possible.

I just love getting to grips and mastering all the latest technology such as is found in the D3 and its CAN bus.

I would happily answer any and all questions anyone may have.
Welcome to the site Colin! At least here, I won't get banned for talking highly of your products-LOL.

Some day, I'll get ahead of the game and replace my aging RCL with a new FaultMate, I'm gonna need it, we both know the beating and hard work mine's done.

If anybody in the US wants to come by and watch me run the Rovacom-Lite (precursor, but from a software perspective damned near identical to the FaultMate), you're more than welcome to stop by!

260-804-0458

Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks PT

Oh the good old days eh
Nah, i just love a few rocks, obstacles and challenges being tossed in my way.
All the more interesting and no where near as much fun without a few tossers to sort out IMHO.
Where is Rick when you need him huh

We may well be a round peg in a world full of square holes, but as you know all to well my friend, being a little more shape flexible has amazing advantages and benefits.

You should check it out now. The admin at all levels are now not perhaps as square as they once used to be

Talking of which, i really can't believe you still have an RCL over an MSV-2
Are you really so unable to let go of that antique for just a few days at least.

BBS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.