Suspension fault and heart attacks. - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default Suspension fault and heart attacks.

It never fails, the LR3 performs flawlessly for awhile thus lulling me into Lexus like reliabilty expectations and then BAM! Red suspension fault light while cruising down the highway. After 10 seconds the light disappears and all is normal. WTF was that? Next start up I got a temp. yellow warning and then it too disappears. All seems well now.

All I have come up with so far is that it was arctic cold last week. Yesterday was the big warm up so there was lots of slush mixed with road salt/de-icer. This mixture just coats the cars and I imagine salty water conducts electricity well and it got up into some of the height sensors and suspension wiring?

I hope...
ktm_525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default I hope you are right...

Same thing with my '06 LR3 SE. Spent last weekend off-road and all was great. Lots of raising and lowering, all good. Then drive home through snow and slush, and salt mix, and bam, get a suspension code that comes and goes for a week. Now, all appears to be okay, but I'm just waiting on it to come on again.

Cheers,

Wes
Salt Lake City
wlindsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK we will call it the salty water suspension fault. Keep us updated on its behavior.
ktm_525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default no faults this winter - well almost none

Last year and the years previous I would get the random lights and the like.

This year so far none - well that is if you do not count a lock nut undoing on a front tie rod such that the steering wheel sat at 2 O'Clock when running straight. The steering wheel rotation sensor apparently discussed the issue with the yaw sensor and the tyre rotation sensors. After a sufficient length of straight road with no turns, it would turn on the suspension lights and message machines etc. A second wheel alignment resolved that fuss.

I also have a new brake light switch but that was usually HDC not available messages and similar - have not seen them lately fortunately.

My perhaps solution to your concerns was not connectors or sensors, but a couple of wiring overlays. I found the connectors between the wheel height sensors and harness were better than they look and do seem to keep out moisture and corrosion. What is not so good is the harness itself - at least on the 2005 and I guess 2006 units. I think it is Cat5 cable wrapped in something black, OK I suppose for inside the cabin but not so good tied to the frame and lined up with the wheels so as to get max soak and rock spray whenever the road surface does not quite meet the standards of Land Rovers Sandringham Estate by-lanes.

Corrosion of the internal conductors sets in and with the addition of moisture, lights illuminate. Eventually the lights stay on and you end up repairing the harness. Overlay is the polite way of LR saying they did not quite get it right the first time and you pay.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.