Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

SUSPENSION FAULT - No Action Required???

73K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  xh2306 
#1 ·
My 05 LR3 (105K miles) recently has been showing a suspension fault warning. Exact message is "Suspension Fault - Normal Height Only" and the red suspension warning indicator illuminates (not FLASHING). Checking the vehicle manual under the message center, it states that there's "NO ACTION REQUIRED" needed. Under the warning indicators, the manual states the same unless it's flashing (in this case, it is advised to drive slowly and seek qualified assistance). What gives? I've been having this issue for the past three weeks and I've been driving the vehicle still -- it seems like there's nothing wrong at all even when the warning light/message comes on. Most of the time, the message/warning light comes after a few minutes of driving but once in awhile, it doesn't come out at all. I'm ready to take it to the dealer but wanted to know what the issue is or what are my options are. I live in Italy where it's very expensive to have repairs and takes very long to accomplished. I'm trying to avoid that if all possible.

#2 ·
grinding rubing from rear

I am a new member. I am not sure how to post a new question.

Metal on Metal Rubing/brushing sound from rear. The Noise is not very loud, you need to be listening for it.
I can hear best when coasting at about 20 mph, when engine noise is less.
I can hear when NOT applying the brakes.
No difference when turning.

#3 ·
small rock chip in the disc brakes

With any luck, the rubbing metal on metal like grinding sound is just a small rock chip caught between a rear disc pad and a rotor. It may also be a rock chip caught inside one of the two rear parking brake drums.

If so, just be patient. Eventually, (usually a couple of days driving), the rock chip turns to dust with no damage done and all is well and quiet again.

As to the post re the intermittent error message, the good news is that it sounds like this is your first experience with trouble in the air suspension system.

I suggest that you review the files related to my air suspension albums per the link below to give you an idea of how the air system works.

The problem just may be a brake light switch or burned out or defective tail light bulb. Yes, read the files on the brake light switch as well. Just because you get a trouble message that infers the air system, do not assume that you actually have an air system problem.

The 3 is like a baby - very limited vocabulary - screams out anything when it hurts - it is up to the parent to figure out what the babbling means and if it is serious.

If you have the NAV with the 4x4 info display, turn that on and watch the vertical movement, or not, of the wheels. If one of them shows no sign of movement, say when you mount a curb, (one wheel at a time), then perhaps that is where the problem may be - and I say perhaps - nothing is easy with the air system until you first understand it, and then the problems become solvable.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Home > Member Galleries > bbyer

#4 ·
On the suspension faults it might be beneficial to pay attention to the compressor. Is it louder, running longer that you notice. It may be starving for air.

Do you have stock height rods on it? Has there been any work done on it recently? Have you checked your air dryer to ensure the deccidant hasn't hardened up like a rock?

#5 ·
suspension fault did you find the problem? I have the same on my LR4

My LR4 just ran past warranty and I have the same exact suspension fault problem and the exact randomness of it. It does not flash, just warning light and statement "normal height only" and you cannot lift and lower. I can shut off the car and it resets the fault but only for a couple seconds. As well with mine you can drive it like i did today 30 miles and no fault at all.

Any solution to your problem you can share?

Thanks

#6 ·
There are many things that could cause that which is why its important to have it properly diagnosed.

They say "no action required" because the vehicle is able to maintain its standard ride height. However, there is still a fault that should be addressed.
The last LR3 in my shop to have that message got a new compressor and software update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.