suspention fault LR3 2007 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LandRoversOnly.com is the premier Land Rover Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Default suspention fault LR3 2007

Hi I recently had a suspension fault. I had the code read by a garage and it said the front left & right suspension hieght sensors had a problem. I also noticed on my 4x4 screen there is 4 indicator for the hieght and the 2 front ones flash red when i'm in access mode. I changed the 2 front sensors and it 's still the same. Is it possible that it is only a calibration problem.
Thanks
nuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Yes, calibration required now but ...

The odds are the problem is the cable to one of the sensors rather than the sensors. Regardless, now you will have to get a dealer to calibrate both new sensors.

There is an argument to say that one can change one sensor per side at a time and that the replaced sensor will self calibrate based on signal from the other side. That story may or may not be true but what is certain is that if both sensors are changed, then dealer calibration is required.

I mention cable as more often than not, the cable to a sensor has corroded and a cable overlay has to be installed to bypass the rotten conductors.

It sounds like you have the 4x4 info display. Keep watching it as sometimes you can see one wheel acting up more than the other - or a back wheel acting up. That can help the dealer to isolate the problem.
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
bbyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've been having similar issues with my 06 and it does seem a little unclear about the calibration? I had not realised that replacing one at a time and allowing it to self calibrate was a possible course of action though. I may have to try that.

Found lots of info on the connectors being at the root of the problem.

Now I'm no automotive electrical design engineer but, locating a critical sensor connection right in the wheel well may not have been best idea ever.

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Yes, possible but not recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverandom View Post
I've been having similar issues with my 06 and it does seem a little unclear about the calibration? I had not realized that replacing one at a time and allowing it to self calibrate was a possible course of action though. I may have to try that.

Found lots of info on the connectors being at the root of the problem.

Now I'm no automotive electrical design engineer but, locating a critical sensor connection right in the wheel well may not have been best idea ever.
Re self calibration if only one sensor changed, I have read and heard both that it is possible and also not so - that a single sensor change requires the T4. I think the real answer is in between. To do a perfect job, yes a T4 calibration is required however the air suspension computer is supposed to have enough smarts to adapt to less than perfect calibration and sort things out over time.

Below is what the Calibration section of some LR service material says.

Calibration

A calibration routine is performed using T4 to access the position of each corner of the vehicle and record the settings in the ECU memory. Once set, the calibration is not required to be performed unless the air suspension control module is removed or replaced, a height sensor is removed or replaced or a suspension arm to which the sensor is connected is removed or replaced. If the removed height sensor is subsequently refitted, the calibration procedure will have to be performed to ensure the integrity of the system.

If the air supply unit, the reservoir, a valve block, a damper module or the air harness is removed or replaced, the system will not require recalibration.

In other words, in a perfect world, a single sensor change requires the T4.

Yes, I would agree that having connectors and wiring lined up with the wheel wells may not be the best design. I have subsequently figured out that a primary reason for some of the systems being not where or how we would expect them is that Land Rover designed the 3 such that the body could and should be removed for routine service.

As such, the requirement to be able to easily separate the body from the frame led to some design aspects that are not the norm. I guess to service Kenworth's and the like, the cab pretty much tips away so the idea is not new. In the UK, lifting the body is routine for all but an engine oil changes. They do it all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
suspention fault LR3 2007-d3-body-lifted-front-view.jpg  
2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; Traxide dual battery kit; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion fog light bulbs; Patch cellular antenna to underside of interior of glass roof; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion control system; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Manual upper rear door cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented rotors; LR4 hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 Bluetooth Module; 3 Blink signal light feature; Clock on the Dash; D4 Backup Camera.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

I've seen pictures of the body removed from LR3's and RRS before, makes me wonder why no one has marketed a body lift for these things yet?

Matt.
roverandom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Should not be that difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverandom View Post
makes me wonder why no one has marketed a body lift for these things yet?
That is an interesting thought. About all that should be needed is some wiring loom extensions and maybe something to do with the steering wheel. A half a dozen metal spacers and longer bolts, a gas tank filler extension and air filter line extension and I think that is about all that would be required.

None of the drive train or steering geometry would be affected - probably not much more difficult than a suspension lift on a North American pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
suspention fault LR3 2007-frame-full-view-rear-forward-engine-rr-sport-cutaway.jpg   suspention fault LR3 2007-tranny-transfer-case-air-tank-left-side-cut-away.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery 3 / LR3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.